Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow West

This just got released in 50 theaters and it's also available for rent on iTunes.

88% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm a big Michael Fassbender fan, so it seemed like it couldn't lose.

I'll grant that it had its moments. But overall it felt to me like artsy-fartsy, metaphysical self-indulgence. If there was a point, I missed it.

The newbie writer/director seemed to be aiming for a Wes Anderson/Coen Bros. version of a low-budget Western. But I thought he confused being implausible with being surreal. And I found the attempts at poetic dialogue labored.

What did others think?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Slow West

Only a read of the one true original screenplay that started the production ball rolling could tell us the answer to whether or not the perceived problem was inherent in the original writing or whether it was a result of too much bending and flexing of the storyline along the way or while in production.
    "If you're going to have a story, have a big story, or none at all." — Joseph Campbell

Comment

Re: Slow West

Same writer/director. Either way he's responsible. I did read that he "workshopped" it with the actors. Not always a good idea...
      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Working...
      X