Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch Perfect 2

What, no thread started about this film yet???? I saw it last week and had a roaring good time. That opening scene --- low brow, BIG laughs. Amazing work by Elizabeth Banks as director... smart writing, great production numbers and performances, fun from beginning to end. No wonder it's kicking butt at the box office. I might even see it again.

Late Night Writer

Re: Pitch Perfect 2

I enjoyed the first.

Comment

I watched it this weekend and really liked it. I think they were smart to take a lot of the moments people loved in the first one and expand and add more of them.

I think I may have liked it better than the first just because it knows what it is and it amplified that times 10 on the sequel.

It'll be a fun franchise.
      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I also think it's a lot of fun.

Comment

Pitch Perfect 2

I disagree with the praise for this. And I LOVED the first one. Re-watch it a lot, as a matter of fact.

I had to think a bit as to WHY I felt cheated. Was good for a few laughs, but ultimately, nowhere near the impact of the first one. Which is such a shame, I was so looking forward to it.

After thinking, I found that the biggest problem I found was it's LACK of conflict. Real, believable conflict. And basically it being just a 'chick empowerment' flick. And I'm female.

*****SPOILERS*************

1. NO CONFLICT
          The first one had conflict in almost every scene. Becca and Jessie, Becca
          and Aubrey, Becca and her father, Jessie and Benjy, Aubrey and Bumper,
          etc. Fat Amy and Bumper, etc.

This one? Becca and...the Germans?
          She was more in awe of them than anything else...a total wimp in this
          movie. And Jessie and the Trebles were relegated to flashlight-toting
          cheerleaders. Which is just awful....Since the Bellas had
          presumably been the champions every year since the first one....what
          happened to the Trebles? Emasculated apparently. UGH. Sure gonna
          get lots of praise from man-haters I guess. That was one component of
          the first that was done extremely well. My college aged son (who is a
          musician) and his friends loved the first one because of the music and
          the characters...this one, nyet.

2. INCITING INCIDENT
          Totally and completely unbelievable. Amy's "WARDROBE" malfunction
          would cause this kind of reaction? No. Sorry, Miley Cyrus has worse in
          her concerts than that....Now, had someone been recorded being racist,
          or homophobic or something like that.....THAT would be believable as far
          as them being ostracized and in danger of permanent disbanding...but not
          a Vulva flash.

3. CHARACTERS
          Other than the lack of conflict between any of them......where were the
          original cast given ANY screen time? Other than Becca, Chloe (also very
          difficult to believe she's still there) and Fat Amy? Those who loved the
          original, LOVED the characters......Cynthia Rose (did she even have ANY
          lines?) Nympho Stacey (again.....anything?) Lili - (couldn't really hear
          much of her in the first but that was her device).....and the 'new ones"
          (ie, Hispanic girl) and "LEGACY" (cannot even remember her name, that's
          how milquetoast she was)....good heavens....how did they add to the
          franchise in any meaningful way? They didn't. They were just there
          as plot devices and for one-liners. And a love interest for Benjy. (UGH)

And JESSIE/BENJY/BUMPER - Once again, just arm candy/flashlight
          holders for 'the girls'.

4. SUBPLOTS
          Becca's internship.....totally WASTED. Could have been really amped up
          and made meaningful, but instead was just a way to make the NEW girl's
          plot line work.

BUMPER/AMY - Double UGH. While the gazebo scene was kind of poignant
          the antagonistic nature of their relationship made for a better movie.

BENJY and LEGACY GIRL (yeah, still can't remember her name) Total
          waste of screen time.

Were there any others? Can think of anything....that's how pointless it was.

5. PLOT HOLES - Lots of them, but the biggest one was the ending.....If this
          was an "INTERNATIONAL COLLEGIATE COMPETITION"...how on EARTH
          could Legacy's mom....and all the other past "Bellas" be allowed in the
          group? Didn't the inclusion of a non-collegiate contestant in the first
          movie get that group disqualified? DUH.

GOOD POINTS?

Das Sound Machine - very over-the-top portrayal of the "GERMANS"..
          They shoulda won....actually. I would have preferred more malice
          and villainy....since I guess they were the antagonists....but
          at least they weren't boring like the rest of the characters. Their music
          was about the only exciting set in the whole movie, even if it was a
          bit fascist looking.

The RETREAT - with Aubrey as the DRILL INSTRUCTOR
          Perfect role for her. It could also have been amped up I think. It was way too tame in my
          opinion.
          I'm glad I did see it, only because it has made me MORE aware of how much conflict should be in a script. I thought I had enough in my current one...but I see that I really need to ramp it up even more.

------END OF RANT--------------------

Comment

I enjoyed it, although I'm quite on board with many of those criticisms. I think the difference is that the first film tried to be an actual story and the sequel is extremely aware that it's a movie.

But you know... I laughed for most of two hours and the music was good, and it led to an interesting discussion with my daughter about why sequels are so challenging to write.

I did wonder what happened to Becca's father, and when they moved into a group house, and why there were no other Bellas joining in the last three years, and what happened to the boyfriend for the middle third of the movie and did Dax ever get out of the corner and hey, how did that Snoop Dogg Christmas album turn out? But I wondered those things in the parking lot, which meant I was sufficiently entertained while the movie was playing.

Comment

Working...
            X