Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainwreck

A little surprised that there's no thread on this here. Or maybe not.

I saw it at a packed Academy screening. That big a crowd usually shows up only when a film is going to make major waves. Everybody seemed to really love it.

I thought it was great. Very funny, surprisingly touching. One could probably nit-pick some of the plot development near the end of the second act, but to do so would be to miss the forrest for the trees. The film works really well, in a loosey-goosey sort of way that touches a lot of rom-com tropes without belaboring them.

Anyway, I recommend it. Schumer is a really fun comedic voice.

Re: Trainwreck

saw it too. Wanted to love it, but only liked it. Thought Amy did a good job, but man...Tilda Swinton..that is an actress. She can do it all. I liked the Cena stuff...that theater scene?
    It is better than a lot of rom-coms. It got a little too sketch like at times and i guess maybe that's where i got pulled out of loving it. But definitely some funny moments.

Comment

Saw it and loved it. I mean yeah, I felt a few scenes ran on a little too long to milk the comedy, but everything else was so good that it didn't bother me. Amy Schumer was great, and the movie definitely had a lot of heart too. Thought surprisingly that John Cena had the funniest scenes. That theater scene was hilarious.

Comment

I expected Amy to be funny and she was, but John Cena was hilarious. Solid acting by Colin Quinn too. But this film underlines a problem or two I've always had with Apatow's comedies -- over length and interruptions in pacing. One too many lulls kept it from hitting the overall bullseye as it should have. That said, Amy's script did avoid a lot (but not all) rom com cliches that normally make me uneasy. I think the best is yet to come for her.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

A little too uneven for my tastes to all out love it. Veered from comedy to drama(edy) with little warning. But overall, time well spent. Rather enjoyable to watch a comic I wasn't crazy about initially truly blossom.

And yes, the Cena scenes will live on in movie lore.
          sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

I read this script a while ago, finally saw it.

I think it's great that this movie got made. Why can't the majors do more of these lower mid-range quirky movies, spend not that much, and hope for moderate return on investment?

Comment

Saw it yesterday with my wife.

Loved Cena and James. Jon Glaser and Randall Park are criminally underused. It was a tad too long and predictable.

Overall, If there is something I could say about the movie, is that I strongly dislike Amy Shummer's Humor. The same strength I despise Appatow Humor.
              The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshiro View Post
                Overall, If there is something I could say about the movie, is that I strongly dislike Amy Shummer's Humor. The same strength I despise Appatow Humor.
                Did you not know it was an Amy Schumer/Judd Apatow movie beforehand?

Comment

A Schumer Flick, yes, not an Appatow one. I knew Amy Schumer by name (outside of the US, she's not known), watched a few inside amy schumer before and after the flick. Like Broad city : not for me.
                  The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Working...
                  X