Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Saw this at an advance screening last night.

It was AWESOME!

Tom Cruise is BACK!

Good story, too.

Epic stunts. Best car chase on film in years.
    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Re: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Cruise is okay in the role but after MI2 his acting got somewhat rote. Maybe it was because 3 and 4 came after his meltdown, or maybe he just aged.

The first two movies were also fun because they were helmed by auteurs DePalma and Woo. I know Abrams and Bird have their fans for whatever reason but they don't have recognizable styles (and no, shakycam and fast editing is not a style unless your last name is Greengrass) and didn't bring anything unique to the series. MI5 looks like more of the same.

And yeah I know most people consider MI2 the worst. I don't care; back in 2000 those stunts wiped the floor with everything else out there, and it still looks good today.

Comment

How does he not trip on those giant balls of his?

Seriously, loved it, and her too. First woman I could see filling Emma Peel's leather cat suit after Diana Rigg. Thought they did a great job of keeping her in balance with him.

Comment

A lot of fun.

Plenty of stuff for aspiring screenwriters to nitpick on in the plot, but better to focus on what the script delivers in spades: the fun stuff you buy your ticket for.

Also, good god, Rebecca Ferguson. Somebody put her in all the movies, please. I also felt this script was a powerful rebuke to the typical "Bond girl" treatment of female leads in films like this: from little things like the shoe gag, to the fact that Ilsa saves Ethan as much as he saves her, to the fact that their relationship ends with a hug, not a kiss, I just felt the script was practically a blueprint for how to do that kind of role in the 21st century.

Now somebody go green-light an Ilsa Faust spinoff movie.

Comment

Yeah I saw it last night. It was a great time. Obviously a very different movie, but enjoyable in the way that Fury Road was. A throwback but still fresh and new.

Also like Fury Road, I feel like the main character was more Ilsa (Furiosa). She made just as many if not more choices than Tom Cruise. And her choices were what drove the movie. She also got the big fight scene at the end and a bigger arc than Cruise. And I had no problem with this. She was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
            A lot of fun.

Plenty of stuff for aspiring screenwriters to nitpick on in the plot, but better to focus on what the script delivers in spades: the fun stuff you buy your ticket for.

Also, good god, Rebecca Ferguson. Somebody put her in all the movies, please. I also felt this script was a powerful rebuke to the typical "Bond girl" treatment of female leads in films like this: from little things like the shoe gag, to the fact that Ilsa saves Ethan as much as he saves her, to the fact that their relationship ends with a hug, not a kiss, I just felt the script was practically a blueprint for how to do that kind of role in the 21st century.

Now somebody go green-light an Ilsa Faust spinoff movie.
            Yes on all counts. A really good time at the movies--talking about it afterwards with my kids, we all agreed that it was probably more enjoyable because the stunts were primarily practical as opposed for example to the Avengers--a much more visceral, nail biting, experience.

Comment

His last two movies, he's given a lot of power to the female lead, and it's very smart. We're pretty sure Tom Cruise, superstar, will make it to the end of the movie alive. We're not so sure about shape-shifting female... antagonist? Ally? It keeps the suspense alive in a way that's been lacking in all the superhero movies I've seen lately.

My audience brain (not my writer brain) kept going Is she? Isn't she? It was great not to know.

Comment

Thought is was spectacular! Really great time.

Spoilers***

What I love is that her name is ILSA and he finds her in CASABLANCA-- that's the kind of fun reference I love to see in films, very clever. And the "letter of transit" in Casablanca that Ilsa Lund needs, is similar to the RED BOX in Rogue Nation-- Ilsa believes she needs them to buy her way out of the organization, because "she's done her part."

It's like ARIADNE in INCEPTION. She was the architect of the dream labyrinth, but she was also the King Minos' daughter that used the magic thread to help Theseus escape the labyrinth and defeating the Minotaur in Greek mythology.

A must see-- I think I might see it again

So for me it's one of the top two for the year so far-- Fury Road is the other.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Saw it this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Rebecca almost stole the movie. Quite a revelation. Haven't the White Queen. I hope there's another where she joins the cast.

The story had just enough meat and twists.

Glad to see McQuarrie getting a big budget and knocking it out of the park.
                  #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I must have been the only one, but I found it to be pretty forgettable. Nothing I hadn't seen before. Fell asleep at one point.

It didn't have any glaring holes or anything. I just wasn't engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                      Thought is was spectacular! Really great time.

Spoilers***

What I love is that her name is ILSA and he finds her in CASABLANCA-- that's the kind of fun reference I love to see in films, very clever. And the "letter of transit" in Casablanca that Ilsa Lund needs, is similar to the RED BOX in Rogue Nation-- Ilsa believes she needs them to buy her way out of the organization, because "she's done her part."

It's like ARIADNE in INCEPTION. She was the architect of the dream labyrinth, but she was also the King Minos' daughter that used the magic thread to help Theseus escape the labyrinth and defeating the Minotaur in Greek mythology.

A must see-- I think I might see it again

So for me it's one of the top two for the year so far-- Fury Road is the other.
                      Didn't ILSA also want Ethan to come away with her...and at the end he stays while she goes off

Comment

Now that I go into these movies assuming they're going to be full of convenient BS I do enjoy the action set pieces a lot more.

The movie was entertaining because of the stunts, the scenery, the scale, the ambition. So I got my $6.50 worth (matinee). The shame is, films like this have the potential to actually thrill me to the core, grip me, make me truly lost in the film, but they don't even try. Instead they seemingly prioritize what big set pieces will be in the film, sometimes based on who is paying for them (BMW), and then just fill in the blanks with absurdist technology, lapses of time and endless coincidences. The only smart part of the writing is that they're able to tie so much together without it getting completely nonsensical. Beyond that, write in any random hack or super gadget and ta da, the plot is advanced.

Kind of like how cell phones would have ruined half the episodes of Seinfeld, our newfound expectations of technology without limits is ruining action thrillers. We're now at the point where someone can take a partial pencil-drawn sketch of a woman and use computer wizardry to locate her anywhere on Earth ten second later. There's no creativity, just shortcuts, and they're unending. A new one-time use piece of magic one scene after the other. In the past, these types of films used to establish one or two pieces of critical "magic" well in advance and make them critical parts of the plot.

Though, all is not lost. I'll take the more grounded nature of Mad Max, John Wick and Dredd any day.

Comment

Working...
                        X