Kubrick: Why keeps us invested, when characters don't control their fates?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubrick: Why keeps us invested, when characters don't control their fates?

Kubrick's films are generally considered relatively unemotional but we watch them over and over and over, anyway - why? Could we be relating to the characters' lack of control?

Re: Kubrick: Why keeps us invested, when characters don't control their fates?

Do you think that the ones finding the movies cold or unemotional are the ones watching it over and over?

In my humble opinion

Path of glory is dope, so is Dr. Strangelove.

The killing is good.

2001, Lolita, Full Metal, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange are "meh".

Eyes wide shut is terrible.
    The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshiro View Post
      2001, Lolita, Full Metal, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange are "meh".
      Interesting...

Comment

Do you think...
        I find his films relatively unemotional and I watch them over and over. (Except for "The Killing" and "Barry Lyndon," which I haven't gotten to watch, yet. )

"Paths of Glory" tackles emotional ideas but the hero's actions have fairly little impact on the big-picture plot. "Dr. Strangelove" is a little bit of a special case, being a comedy, but the plot ultimately comes down to one order, one broken radio, and one uncontrollable machine.

Comment

Apart from FMJ, if those are "meh" then your "meh" is pretty different from mine.

Eyes wide shut is terrible.
          That one I found pretty "meh".

Comment

To the OP:

Because they make one think.

Because with every viewing, one detects another detail, another layer.

Comment

Working...
            X