Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beasts Of No Nation

I seem to remember some people mentioning this as something they were looking forward to, so I was surprised to see nobody had started the thread for it.

I guess that probably says it all though, huh?

I was disappointed by it. Especially considering this is a forum about screenwriting, I found it really lacking in the writing department. Didn't feel the casting and decision to shoot in English worked either. It just felt like they relied on the subject material to supply all the depth and it fell flat. The whole thing felt like a two-hour montage.

A disappointing start for Netflix's Oscar aspirations, in my opinion.

Re: Beasts Of No Nation

since the day it sold was looking forward to it. Disappointed. Visually stunning, yes. But the storyline should have anyone with a heart falling apart and it just didn't happen for me. And it's one of those things where i have tried to explain to others where it didn't work for me (i begged people to watch it when it opened with high hopes). It had the elements to be great but part of the thing that killed it for me was the voice over. Not only should lots of it had subtitles (yes it's in English but was very hard to make out what was being said without rewinding) but it also took away from the story. let me see this kid have these issues/feelings don't read it to me. Idris Elba...fantastic...the fact i even felt sorry for him at one point (and you shouldn't) was a testatment to the fact that it had elements of something bigger. again, can't put my finger on what killed it, but something about it just didn't work for me. I like dialogue in movies. I know the "visual medium" argument but you got to balance it out.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I look forward to see the film -- it's on my Netflix queue -- and I still plan to see it, good or bad. But I was hoping it would hit a home run given the subject matter and the huge risk that Netflix took.

Late Night Writer

Comment

I gotta disagree with you guys. I found the film to be powerful, haunting, and in the end oddly hopeful. I do have the same note as many others, that leaving the country and war non-specific led to a lack of context. At one point I wasn't sure if I was rooting for the bad guys or not. But I understand the decision, and I love that the entire film is from the POV of Agu. Anyways, the film really stuck with me.
        Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
          I gotta disagree with you guys. I found the film to be powerful, haunting, and in the end oddly hopeful. I do have the same note as many others, that leaving the country and war non-specific led to a lack of context. At one point I wasn't sure if I was rooting for the bad guys or not. But I understand the decision, and I love that the entire film is from the POV of Agu. Anyways, the film really stuck with me.
          I agree. I really liked this one. Idris was great in it. IMO he should receive some consideration this awards season. One of the main reasons why I wanted to watch this film was because I had an idea similar to the subject matter.

My version was going to focus on a family of three. One night during a raid by a rebel army, the mother would be killed, and the son kidnapped. Forced to fight with the rebels. The father would spend the next few years trying to find and rescue his son. He would eventually come face to face with his son, who has turned into an unrecognizable monster.

I appreciated what Cary Fukunaga did with the subject matter here. The cinematography was amazing. Definitely worth an academy nomination. As far as the writing goes, I admit that I was a little impatient early on. I also got a little annoyed with Agu's character in the beginning too. But I guess he was just being a kid. At any rate, still felt it was a really good film.

Comment

Working...
          X