Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westerns making a comeback?

Besides Star Wars, the movie I'm really looking forward to is the Hateful Eight. Westerns are some of my favorite movies and I've written one I'm currently shopping around. I found a great read on the 10 best modern westerns and it got me thinking if the genre isn't ready for a comeback? And if so, then maybe that might help my script get some juice.

What do you guys think? Is it the genre's time again? I mean besides Hateful Eight we had Bone Tomahawk and Slow West come out this year as well.

Is this a resurgence?
    Screenplaywritenow.com - Write a screenplay. Write. Now.
    SchismSEO - Separate from your competition. Affordable SEO services.
    The Film Box - Movie news, reviews and fun!

Re: Westerns making a comeback?

Westerns never went away, they're just not being courted by studios unless you happen to be a successful director or actor. You'll find plenty have been produced over the past decade, but few received any studio publicity (or much in the way of budget). HATEFUL 8 is viewed more as a "Tarantino film" than a western. That being said, I'd love to see them make a comeback!

Comment

I don't know. It certainly looks like a western to me. He even filmed it in 70mm to look like older films from years past.

Comment

Tarantino's western might sell some tickets, but not because it's a western. It will be graphic and violent and there is an audience for that.

Is there an audience for a PG western? I don't know. A person might think a big star and some sort of unique premise might work, but we've had Cowboys and Aliens, the Lone Ranger, Jonah Hex and Wild Wild West. Those did some box office, but they were also expensive productions.

Please don't think that I'm picking on westerns...Romantic Comedies have also fallen out of favor. That leaves us with giant franchise productions and quirky low budget niche films. The middle ground seems to be a void right now.

R.O.T.

Comment

I'll never get tired of the Western but that's me. They used to shoot all the old Westerns where I live and still shoot at places like Melody Ranch. I just love them. If you are deeply into something, write it. Chances are it will circle back in popularity one day. Your script could be the one to resurrect it.

Comment

I think it's really unlikely that the Hateful 8 changes opinions about Westerns at all.

It's a Tarantino movie. Tarantino has proven that audiences will show up for his films. Its success will be seen as a function of the films Tarantino-ness and not it's Western-ness (justified or not, although my guess is that it'll be justified. Have Tarantino's films post-Pulp-Fiction had much in the way of coat-tails?)

The last studio western was, what, 3:10 to Yuma? That film got good notices, IIRC, but probably lost money.

But, you know, I'm currently negotiating a deal on a piece that's in a genre that's widely considered dead, dead, dead. Good material finds a way.

Comment

Congrats! What's the genre if I may ask? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post

But, you know, I'm currently negotiating a deal on a piece that's in a genre that's widely considered dead, dead, dead. Good material finds a way.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYW64moSLKg Not that?
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                  The Gothic Rock Western Horror Space Opera?

Seriously, share with us as soon as you can!

Comment

A musical?
                    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                    X