No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #OscarsSoWhite

Originally posted by Mpimentel View Post
    dont judge me based on how weak you are... Ive turned down hard cash because they wanted to use me for my fanbase (promotion) rather than because of my skills... Ive done that numerous timeS... The moment you say to me "be in my movie so u can promote it". Rather than "be in my movie because you are good" i walk the other way... So if thats because of that then imagine if someone said "be in my movie/do this flick because you are hispanic"...

I rather be broke.
    That situation is not analogous in any way to what I'm talking about. I was describing a situation in which an organization gave a grant to talented Hispanic filmmakers based on merit (no one's going to give you a grant just because you're Hispanic). I did that to highlight how ridiculous it is that you think that asking that talented people of color get similar consideration as talented white people equates to them asking for some kind of handout. It doesn't.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
      That situation is not analogous in any way to what I'm talking about. I was describing a situation in which an organization gave a grant to talented Hispanic filmmakers based on merit (no one's going to give you a grant just because you're Hispanic). I did that to highlight how ridiculous you think it is that asking that talented people of color get similar consideration as talented white people equates to them asking for some kind of handout. It doesn't.

And thats fine, so it's not fair lets say, work harder! What does bitching do?

Lets switch it around, lets go white man trying to rap, lets go eminem... Maybe no one took him serious because he was white, so he just had to be better, to the point he could not be denied..

Lets take tiger woods, he just had to be better, until the white sport had to change because of his greatness..

What im saying is, just be better, work harder... What has bitching ever gotten anyone? You're gonna boicott an award show? What does that do? Be ****ing better!!!! So much so that if you dont win, the credibility of the whole award will be in jeopardy.

And again, some people need to come off that cloud, maybe you just aint good enough... Maybe there simply wasnt anyone from your club worth mentioning... I see so many other ways to beat this than to complain... That is the gist of my point.

Again sorry about any spelling, phone does not have spell check
      "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
      SUBTITLED
      Episode 1 (Beef pills)
      Episode 2 (African commercial)
      Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Without reading through all the palaver of the last 4 pages I note that the nominees are a very hirsuite bunch too, not a baldy amongst them, Goddamn it! Is life not difficult enough being folically challenged without missing out on the shiny baubles of existence too?
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
          Without reading through all the palaver of the last 4 pages I note that the nominees are a very hirsuite bunch too, not a baldy amongst them, Goddamn it! Is life not difficult enough being folically challenged without missing out on the shiny baubles of existence too?
          This man/woman a genius... Yes! They all have hair! Let us baldies protest!
          "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
          SUBTITLED
          Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

And thats fine, so it's not fair lets say, work harder! What does bitching do?

Lets switch it around, lets go white man trying to rap, lets go eminem... Maybe no one took him serious because he was white, so he just had to be better, to the point he could not be denied..

Lets take tiger woods, he just had to be better, until the white sport had to change because of his greatness..

What im saying is, just be better, work harder... What has bitching ever gotten anyone? You're gonna boicott an award show? What does that do? Be ****ing better!!!! So much so that if you dont win, the credibility of the whole award will be in jeopardy.

And again, some people need to come off that cloud, maybe you just aint good enough... Maybe there simply wasnt anyone from your club worth mentioning... I see so many other ways to beat this than to complain... That is the gist of my point.

Again sorry about any spelling, phone does not have spell check
            Your analogies are terrible. We're not talking about someone trying to make it in the industry, or someone trying to win a competition. We're taking about the make-up of an organization and how it influences the selection of people worthy of recognition. You keep throwing out analogies that make no sense.

I don't support a boycott. But criticizing an almost all-white, almost all-male Academy is not "bitching". It's highlighting a system that encourages the prioritization of one type of viewpoint on art over others.

Comment

Just tryin' to make a living but the hairy man keeps putting me down.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                Your analogies are terrible. We're not talking about someone trying to make it in the industry, or someone trying to win a competition. We're taking about the make-up of an organization and how it influences the selection of people worthy of recognition. You keep throwing out analogies that make no sense.

I don't support a boycott. But criticizing an almost all-white, almost all-male Academy is not "bitching". It's highlighting a system that encourages the prioritization of one type of viewpoint on art over others.

You know once you tried to link millionaires upset at not being nominated to slavery i said "i dont need to talk to you anymore sir"... Yet i did, and i hate myself for it.

Good day.
                SUBTITLED
                Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

You know once you tried to link millionaires upset at not being nominated to slavery i said "i dont need to talk to you anymore sir"... Yet i did, and i hate myself for it.

Good day.
                  I would hate myself too, if I had such glaring problems with logic as well as a highly apparent inability to make a coherent argument.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                    Just tryin' to make a living but the hairy man keeps putting me down.
                    Dude alls i know is xavier better not be looked over next year for xmen apocalypse or baldies better boycott!
                    SUBTITLED
                    Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

They haven't given the Best Director award to a white American guy since 2007. Clearly something's going on here...

Comment

Does anyone know off hand, without using the internet, who won Best Picture in 1996? Neither do I. It's the movies we love and remember and watch time and time again. Disappointment I understand, but not validation from some committee.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by thornmane View Post
                          With all this #OscarsSoWhite brouhaha going on, I wanted to science the issue, so I did some math:
                          White actors get snubbed all the time. Maybe the two black snubs -- Elba and Jordan were just caught up in it. What I'd like to know is the breakdown of snubs every year. If (on average) every year 10 white actors and 2 black ones are snubbed, then maybe this year isn't unusual.
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

But how many good "black movies" were made last year? Beasts of no nation? No one saw that, and it was a netflix film. I'm sure there are more, but is it not possible to see it in other ways that systematic racism? This is not a film industry problem, but a result of education, poverty, healthcare etc. How many black computer programmers are there? The film industry is not the worst example of this, and it's not entirely fair to target a pompous hollywood award show that does not mean anything. I mean the oscars are inherently "racist" by default, they can not be(unless they just nominate people of color just to not appear racist). Should they have nominated Will Smith? I'm not so sure. I get that Idris Elba did an excellent job, but how many other juicy roles were there compared to those roles for white(non bald) males?

the fact that idris elba wasn't nominated is more a bias toward netflix.
                            Last edited by Bananos; 01-22-2016, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                              But how many good "black movies" were made last year? Beasts of no nation? No one saw that, and it was a netflix film. I'm sure there are more, but is it not possible to see it in other ways that systematic racism? This is not a film industry problem, but a result of education, poverty, healthcare etc. How many black computer programmers are there? The film industry is not the worst example of this, and it's not entirely fair to target a pompous hollywood award show that does not mean anything. I mean the oscars are inherently "racist" by default, they can not be(unless they just nominate people of color just to not appear racist). Should they have nominated Will Smith? Do you really think so, would that be better, would that be honest? I get that Idris Elba did an excellent job, but how many other juicy roles were there compared to those roles for white(non bald) males?
                              Thoughts:

1. You say that there is a dearth of quality black movies out there. I agree with you on this, but you are conveniently ignoring two other movies besides "Beasts" last year with black leads and predominately black casts that were highly regarded. Both "Straight Outta Compton" and "Creed" had Certified Fresh Rotten Tomato scores (88% and 99%, respectively). Both were also included on the shortlist of possible Oscar nominees for Best Picture by the expert oddsmakers at Goldderby. So there was widespread critical support. Not sure what your definition of "good" is, but that seems to fit the bill.

2. I take issue with your argument that "no one" saw Beasts, which you have no evidence to back up, especially since Netflix doesn't put out updated viewership numbers. In fact, in a Deadline article published only a week after Beasts debuted, Netflix head Ted Sarandos said it had already been viewed by 3 million people. Also, Netflix documentaries have been consistently nominated for Best Doc, which means some Academy members are watching the channel.

3. As I said in my first post, the real issue for me is not merely that there were no people of color/people of color-led pictures nominated this year. Considering how few movies there are made featuring POC as leads, it's quite possible for that to happen. And as I said, it's not a numbers game. The real issue is that two of the possibilities that received extensive precursor support were rejected. Elba received noms from the GG, Spirit Awards, SAG, and BAFTA. The latter two groups have strong overlap with the Academy, and the former two groups are strong predictors of Academy Award noms. None of Elba's closest competing non-nominees (Michael Keaton, Jacob Tremblay, Michael Shannon) received that level of support. SOC received noms from the PGA, WGA, and SAG, as well as wins from AFI and the Casting Society of America (just announced). None of SOC's closest competing non-nominees (Carol, Sicario, Inside Out) received that level of support. So frankly, it's extremely strange (and unusual, even for the Academy) that these two contenders were left out in the cold by the organization.

4. People keep bringing up the word racist, even though I've never once seen that word used in arguments by high-profile people who have spoken on this topic, and I made pains to state that wasn't the issue in my first post. "Racism" has a highly negative connotation that indicates you didn't vote for someone because you think your race is superior (which is why it gets people so defensive). "Bias", the term I prefer, merely indicates that you can better relate to someone who looks like you and shares your experiences. I wish people would stop throwing around the "r" word when that has never been a part of the core argument. Doing so is just disingenuous.

Yes, it's a possibility that these contenders just didn't have enough support in the Academy. But with an organization as homogeneous as it is, there is also a distinct possibility that there is just a natural bias towards nominees/pics led by people that look like the majority of the Academy. Which, if you think about it, is a form of affirmative action on its own.

Of course, you won't hear anyone questioning whether Mark Ruffalo got a "handout" because he's a white male popular with an institution led by white males -- even though he didn't get noms from the GG, SAG, or Spirit Awards. Of course not.

Comment

!
                                Last edited by figment; 01-24-2016, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X