X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dirty Grandpa

Comment

I don't know the history of DIRTY GRANDPA, but I would think this film was made because the writer is considered hot to some degree (at least with R-rated comedies); he wrote BAD SANTA 2 which is filming. And the director is Dan Mazer, who has done many of Sacha Baron Cohen's comedies. In addition, they felt there was an audience for this comedy due to the success of BAD GRANDPA (even the title sounds like it). Because of this stuff, I would imagine the studio committed and was able to get the big name talent involved -- and on from there. And one more thing: I'm sure it's relatively low budget, so they thought with all of these other elements (including title and talent) that it would easily return a profit.

If this is indeed close to why they made it, it's is a prime example of how a shitty movie gets made -- based on relationships, perception by studio execs, etc. I don't believe there's any way in hell a non-produced screenwriter would have sold this screenplay on spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post

If this is indeed close to why they made it, it's is a prime example of how a shitty movie gets made -- based on relationships, perception by studio execs, etc. I don't believe there's any way in hell a non-produced screenwriter would have sold this screenplay on spec.
        The problem is that there are not enough good screenplays out there in the first place. The demand for good scripts is higher than the supply, and the difference gets filled by "whatever". Nepotism. Friendships and contacts. Studios going with previous winners and just playing the odds. Stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
        X