No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Originally posted by Vance View Post
    I can't say any of this authoritatively, since I intend to catch the Netflix premiere, but when a lot of critics are going "Meh," and the positive reviews are directed at "haters," and the negative reviews are directed at "evil boob-havers," it feels like the movie is basically a non-offensive non-event if you peel away anybody's bias.
    The director's outbursts are what caused most of the controversy. Most people weren't upset at an all-female Ghostbusters, they were upset at the horribly unfunny, unappealing females he chose for the movie. Feig threw fits and called anyone who didn't like it misogynists.

When the trailers and clips started to hit, not only were people already turned off by the cast but it was clear the movie itself was going to be awful, not to mention disrespectful to the original. When you're doing a remake of a semi-popular movie its best to not openly insult its fanbase.

Feig brought the hostility on himself through his immature behavior. Just look at the guy.

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...?itok=91D674H4

Dude clearly has issues.

Comment

If the critical consensus is at all to be trusted, then people giving this a vindication watch will enjoy it because they want to. People giving it a hate watch will hate it because they want to. It's not quite willing to stand on its own legs, which hurts it, but a lot of the team that assembled it is talented enough to make it tolerable.
      I think you're right that a lot of people are going to watch it with strong opinions, although I'd find it funny if any of the haters actually showed up to the theater given how much vitriol they've spewed since the movie was first announced. It's just amazing how determined people are to view it as "terrible" because of the casting and a weak trailer (because you know no one's ever seen a weak trailer before). I'll probably catch it on streaming too, as sci-fi comedy is not really my thing, but I hope it makes a lot of money this weekend just as a slap in the face.

Red Letter Media pointed out something that I felt previously; that making it a female cast was possibly a step in the right direction. When they were talking an Indiana Jones remake with Chris Pratt, I felt it sounded like the most boring thing possible. You know they'd hit every single predictable note possible, and that at best it would be a well-made bad movie.
      I couldn't agree more. I think that as long as gender doesn't define the original property in some way, there's no reason many of them couldn't be re-imagined with a woman. I've written numerous movies with male protagonists, and frankly, it's started to feel rather boring -- become a bit cliche. I recently generated several new ideas with female protags, and am actually excited about them. They feel fresh by virtue of the fact that we're not used to seeing women in those types of roles.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
        The director's outbursts are what caused most of the controversy. Most people weren't upset at an all-female Ghostbusters, they were upset at the horribly unfunny, unappealing females he chose for the movie. Feig threw fits and called anyone who didn't like it misogynists..
        That's utter B.S. The vast majority of initial criticism when the movie was announced was due to it being all-female. In fact, the outrage started even before Feig had lined up his cast, which took some time. Feig only began responding when the anger reached a deafening roar. I love it how people are trying to rewrite history now that the movie is coming out.

Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig, and Leslie Jones unfunny? That may be your opinion, but I haven't heard any widespread discussion of the specific cast members as a reason for objection. Stop pretending that your personal tastes represent some kind of major trend.

Comment

I caught a scene from Spy on TV recently that consisted of the main character (the fat woman) pointlessly ragging on a guy and being a combative bitch for no reason.
          Come on. The "fat woman" has a name -- it's Melissa McCarthy. She's had, since 2011, five films make over 100 million domestic in box office. The one that made only 44 million -- St. Vincent -- starred Bill Murray.

That is box office draw any way you look at it.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/...samccarthy.htm

Comment

I saw that there was a new Ghostbusters movie and thought, after all these years they finally made another one. I watched the first one when it came out -- thought it was entertaining, but it didn't rock my world. I thought the second one was kind of stupid. About a year ago, I re-watched the original and thought it was kind of stupid. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I decided to watch the trailer for the new one and thought, like a lot of current movies, it was a little long on gross gags, and I wasn't impressed. (I also thought, if this was the good stuff, this movie has problems.)

I didn't even think about the fact that the leads were women until I saw this thread.

But now if I think the movie (according to the trailer) looks stupid, I guess that makes me a "misogynist" and a "hater". It's like third-grader calling me a "poopy head" because I don't want to play marbles with him.
            "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
              But now if I think the movie (according to the trailer) looks stupid, I guess that makes me a "misogynist" and a "hater". It's like third-grader calling me a "poopy head" because I don't want to play marbles with him.
              No one said that. I saw the trailer, and didn't find it impressive either. The haters are the one who judged it as soon as the all-female cast was announced. And the ones giving it a 1/10 rating having not seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                I think a lot of these men are suffering from the same type of thinking you've expressed. And that's understandable -- they don't understand how deeply they've been conditioned either. But it's one thing to be upset about the role reversal. It's another thing to actively wage a campaign against a movie that you haven't even seen yet.
                I haven't been "conditioned" by male Hollywood. Erin Brockovich is my fav film for fuc*s sake.

Even as a GB fan, I've never been angry at anything about this film. It's free speech in filmmaking. All I'm doing is trying to explain why OTHERS are angry about this film.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig, and Leslie Jones unfunny? That may be your opinion, but I haven't heard any widespread discussion of the specific cast members as a reason for objection. Stop pretending that your personal tastes represent some kind of major trend.
                  The movie has a 2.3 user score on Metacritic and a 4.7 on IMDB, so I'd say that my personal taste does represent a major trend, at least more so than the phony reviews bought by Sony.

And it doesn't distract from Feig being a douchebag about the ordeal. If you mess with a franchise, you can expect blowback. Take the criticisms into consideration, don't be a dick and lash out at the fanbase for not accepting your reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    Even as a GB fan, I've never been angry at anything about this film. It's free speech in filmmaking. All I'm doing is trying to explain why OTHERS are angry about this film.
                    Actually, I used the word "upset" in the comment you responded to. And these following quotes sure sound like you, personally, are expressing bother with the gender switch:

Getting good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes -- 75%

Doesn't change the fact that it's still a feminist gimmick
                    You know, when I first heard it was going to be an all-female cast I actually thought it wasn't a bad idea. I thought it could work.

But when I learned a A-list alpha male megastar (Chris Hemsworth) was playing a "secretary" the film took on the life of a feminist gimmick. It was now intentionally crapping on the man-power angle of the original.

Comment

The movie has a 2.3 user score on Metacritic and a 4.7 on IMDB, so I'd say that my personal taste does represent a major trend, at least more so than the phony reviews bought by Sony.
                      Haha. First of all -- as was mentioned previously in this thread, and as has been cited in several articles, there has been a coordinated campaign by haters to tank the ratings of the movie on these sites (there was even a Reddit thread where they discussed their plans for it). So these ratings are less an accurate reflection of "taste" (which is based on, you know, having actually seen something) than they are the mobilization of a bunch of people who childishly want to destroy the movie preemptively.

Second, even if the ratings were based on actual movie viewings, it still doesn't prove that they were due to the specific cast members chosen rather than other factors. So frankly, your argument makes no sense.

BTW, you have no idea whether Sony "bought" any reviews; that's just an assumption on your part.

And it doesn't distract from Feig being a douchebag about the ordeal. If you mess with a franchise, you can expect blowback. Take the criticisms into consideration, don't be a dick and lash out at the fanbase for not accepting your reboot.
                      I'm not being a dick. I am taking the criticisms into consideration, and highlighting how incredibly illogical they are. Specifically, I'm:

a) Calling out the silliness of hating on a gender-switch in a movie where gender never played an essential role in the make-up of the characters

b) Calling out the silliness of taking that hatred to the extreme by rating a movie before it's been seen. That behavior is what you would call dickish.

Comment

I'm not being a dick. I am taking the criticisms into consideration, and highlighting how incredibly illogical they are. Specifically, I'm:

a) Calling out the silliness of hating on a gender-switch in a movie where gender never played an essential role in the make-up of the characters

b) Calling out the silliness of taking that hatred to the extreme by rating a movie before it's been seen. That behavior is what you would call dickish.
                        I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the director.

I've just been reading some IMDB reviews and a lot of them criticize how apparently every single male character in the film is dumb, useless, or a villain, and how the final boss ghost or whatever has to be shot in its dick to defeat it. So if this is a culture war issue, the director the fired the first shot, not "the haters" (who seem to me mostly like pissed off fans).

As you said, in the 80s version (which I don't even like and I'm surprised it's still popular) the sex of the characters doesn't matter explicitly, but here in this version it does matter explicitly. The whole movie apparently revolves around the female-ness of the characters. Feig could've just made a Ghostbusters movie that happened to have a female team in it and it could have worked, but he instead chose to make a third wave feminist cringefest, and that's why people are so annoyed.

At the end of the day, Paul Feig took a cult favorite and did a remake to push his political and social views. When he was called out on it, he threw a hissy fit. There's apparently a scene in the film that even mocks fans of the original movie. This isn't how you go about things, and it's why his IMDB page is a clusterf*ck.

Comment

I've just been reading some IMDB reviews and a lot of them criticize how apparently every single male character in the film is dumb, useless, or a villain, and how the final boss ghost or whatever has to be shot in its dick to defeat it. So if this is a culture war issue, the director the fired the first shot, not "the haters" (who seem to me mostly like pissed off fans).

As you said, in the 80s version (which I don't even like and I'm surprised it's still popular) the sex of the characters doesn't matter explicitly, but here in this version it does matter explicitly. The whole movie apparently revolves around the female-ness of the characters. Feig could've just made a Ghostbusters movie that happened to have a female team in it and it could have worked, but he instead chose to make a third wave feminist cringefest, and that's why people are so annoyed.

At the end of the day, Paul Feig took a cult favorite and did a remake to push his political and social views. When he was called out on it, he threw a hissy fit. There's apparently a scene in the film that even mocks fans of the original movie. This isn't how you go about things, and it's why his IMDB page is a clusterf*ck.
                          Three thoughts:

1) I'm 100% fine with valid criticisms of the movie like this. They are based on actual viewings of the movie and not on some biased agenda to tank it sight unseen.

2) I'm still not fine with those who tried to tank the movie sight unseen. And if anyone is an aspiring screenwriter doing that, that is even worse.

3) While Feig may have taken an overaggressive approach (and I can't confirm that, as I haven't seen the movie, and I don't like to judge them unless I do), he was surely not the first one to fire a shot in the "culture war". When the all-female reboot was announced, the script hadn't even been written yet, but the outrage was almost instant. Anything Feig has done since then has been in response to that overreaction.

Comment

I'd say that my personal taste does represent a major trend, at least more so than the phony reviews bought by Sony.
                            I think if Sony were paying for reviews it would have come out during the email hack thingy last year.

Having said that, they do not have to pay them. Most of early raves were in the bag anyway. The New York Times published their cringe-worthy #yougogirl endorsement on Monday, 7/11, which I believe is the first time in at least 30 years that the Times has published a review 4 days ahead of a films' commercial opening (as a rule, they don't even review films premiering at the NY Film Festival until they're in theaters).

They were trying SO HARD to make this film happen that it backfired to an extent (based on this weekend's grosses).

Comment

Honestly a bit surprised at lackluster box office numbers. The Hollywood premiere was insane. I went down there to review a restaurant, and wound up having to hang out because it was impossible to leave the area without shoving your way through a thick wall of humanity. Found a good scenic spot, though.

And no, criticizing those clearly awful trailers doesn't get people branded as misogynists. I've critiqued them to death (takeaway: the humor looks awfully familiar, and McKinnon is the only thing showing promise,) and nobody's assaulted me over it.

Comment

So you apparently haven't seen the movie?

Comment

Working...
                                X