Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Anyone that's offended by the villain ghost getting it in the balls at the end must also be offended by these (100) other movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHj_jwVKczc

Comment

It doesn't sound offensive, just lazy.

Comment

I just read how Sony was "thrilled" at the $46 Million opening weekend. And thought it would do well oversees (despite it being banned in China).
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I saw it recently with my girlfriend. She loved it. (But then again, she loves Bridesmaids. Which girl doesn't?)

Me (a neutral viewer), I see it as a chick flick, thought it was okay. Bottom line: Paul Feig has basically turned the franchise into a dumb slapstick comedy. There was a joke or two crammed into the script every minute on average (no kidding!). I'm not a fan of the original either but I can see why fans of the original hate this reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
            I saw it recently with my girlfriend. She loved it. (But then again, she loves Bridesmaids. Which girl doesn't?)

Me (a neutral viewer), I see it as a chick flick, thought it was okay. Bottom line: Paul Feig has basically turned the franchise into a dumb slapstick comedy. There was a joke or two crammed into the script every minute on average (no kidding!). I'm not a fan of the original either but I can see why fans of the original hate this reboot.
            Is it fair to say that if I like Spy and The Heat, then I'll also like the new Ghostbusters?

I wouldn't normally see something like this in theaters, but I almost feel like I should just to see what everyone's talking about. But if it's like Feig's other movies, which I love, it might be worth seeing anyway as penance for catching those movies after their theatrical releases.

Comment

I get the feeling that if you like The Heat, you'd likely enjoy this.

Originally posted by omjs View Post
              Is it fair to say that if I like Spy and The Heat, then I'll also like the new Ghostbusters?

I wouldn't normally see something like this in theaters, but I almost feel like I should just to see what everyone's talking about. But if it's like Feig's other movies, which I love, it might be worth seeing anyway as penance for catching those movies after their theatrical releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post
                It could be me, but if you were trying to re-boot a billion dollar franchise, and desperate for a blockbuster, would you really pick Paul Feig as your director / savior? Wouldn't you go after JJ Abrams, Bryan Singer or other established blockbuster directors?
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                  It could be me, but if you were trying to re-boot a billion dollar franchise, and desperate for a blockbuster, would you really pick Paul Feig as your director / savior? Wouldn't you go after JJ Abrams, Bryan Singer or other established blockbuster directors?
                  Studio logic is always to chase the money, though. Any of those are okay choices. If you were doing things for the art, you'd probably stay away from Abrams after the Star Trek reboot, which was fun but ultimately very dumb and trashy. My roommate watched the first movie a few nights ago and just listening to the dialog from the next room, it reached new levels of clunkiness in my mind. It's well-assembled, but it's still pretty dumb.

Same token, Netflix is probably happy to have Adam Sandler since his movies tend to come in at a budget. After what they've been blowing on other projects, they likely got him at a steal.

Conflating somebody's filmmaking ability with their studio value is sort of missing the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post
                    Yes I'm fairly certain you will enjoy the new Ghostbusters if you liked his other works. FYI, I did force myself to watch Bridesmaids, The Heat and Spy (to understand the Feig hype...) Found all of them quite forgettable.

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    Ultimately, the Ghostbusters franchise has a strong comedic element which most other blockbusters don't have. That's why I see the studios picking Feig as a logical choice for them.

Make no mistake, this reboot is a deeply polarizing movie since the target audience is exclusively female (and the film does come off as a tad misandrist). YET the franchise and existing fanbase is male-dominated.

Comment

I thought Spy was more entertaining, had more emotional impact, and was funnier and smarter than this Ghostbusters. I didn't hate it. I laughed here and there but wasn't constantly in stitches. The SFX are cool, and it's fun IMHO.

I was more impressed by Spy as both an adventure and wish-fulfillment for women who are underestimated and underappreciated. I don't remember Heat well enough to compare.

Comment

After seeing the trailers (ugh) and reading the spoilers (double ugh), I came with the impression of this reboot is nothing more than a cinematic essay on feminism disguised as a goofy sci-fi/horror comedy, which I won't bother to pay to see. Am I some geeky, woman-hating, Donald Trump-loving skunk? No. I'm a geeky, African-American, Jack Kennedy Democrat male who likes women (yet I haven't found the right woman for me) who thinks for himself. I don't have friends, but I have myself to deal with.

It's strange that Feig, et al, feels that geeks are misogynistic losers when there hasn't been any real, concrete proof. If a male geek/nerd/dork isignored by a woman, it's that said woman doesn't want him as a possible mate. The same goes for a female geek as well. Being a geek, male or female, isn't bad, but making male geeks, who are your potential audience, isn't smart business. If Feig was smart, emphasis on SMART, he would have two men and two ladies as the leads, so both sexes would have been pleased and the reboot would have made more money. Instead, Feig got mad because the film wasn't pitched well, and the public got mad. This is what happens when you put identity politics before entertaining the public with a solid film.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                          It's strange that Feig, et al, feels that geeks are misogynistic losers when there hasn't been any real, concrete proof. If a male geek/nerd/dork isignored by a woman, it's that said woman doesn't want him as a possible mate. The same goes for a female geek as well. Being a geek, male or female, isn't bad, but making male geeks, who are your potential audience, isn't smart business.
                          He never said all geeks are misogynists or losers. He said that ""Geek culture is home to some of the biggest *******s I've ever met in my life." And considering GamerGate; the consistent outpouring of rage whenever a comic book character is cast with a minority (Johnny Storm, Nick Fury); and the outrage over the mere announcement of an upcoming all-female Ghostbusters, I'd say he has some evidence to back that up.

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                          If Feig was smart, emphasis on SMART, he would have two men and two ladies as the leads, so both sexes would have been pleased and the reboot would have made more money. Instead, Feig got mad because the film wasn't pitched well, and the public got mad. This is what happens when you put identity politics before entertaining the public with a solid film.
                          You mean, if he was smart, he would've catered to the baby-men who can't handle the idea of a group of women fighting ghosts? No, he would've only done that if he was cowardly, because it would be surrendering to sexist tendencies. It bears repeating, you don't need a d**k to be a Ghostbuster.
                          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                            He never said all geeks are misogynists or losers. He said that ""Geek culture is home to some of the biggest *******s I've ever met in my life." And considering GamerGate; the consistent outpouring of rage whenever a comic book character is cast with a minority (Johnny Storm, Nick Fury); and the outrage over the mere announcement of an upcoming all-female Ghostbusters, I'd say he has some evidence to back that up.
                            Not to mention all the racist **** that Leslie Jones has been hit with on Twitter. That's been blowing up since the movie released.

You don't have to be a bigot to dislike the film by any means (seems like most unbiased people are saying it's just, you know, OK), but the fact that so many awful, bigoted people have been so vocal about it means that the whole thing is tainted at this point.

Also, isn't it doing decently well for what it is? It's not tanking or anything. The supposed "identity politics" aren't substantially hurting it so far.

Comment

It's fair to say that Feig reacted badly, even childishly, to how people were acting.

But it's also fair to say people were acting very violently and idiotically. Yeah, aspects of this film veer clumsily into the early 90s brand of girl power that we now consider clunky and inelegant. But before people knew anything, there was an incredible outpouring of inane rage over the fact that it was a film starring women in what were previously male roles.

It wasn't a big deal, but the internet decided to make it one.

Comment

Also, isn't it doing decently well for what it is? It's not tanking or anything. The supposed "identity politics" aren't substantially hurting it so far.
                                A $46 million opening is great for a comedy. The only problem is it cost $144 million to make (and I believe the marketing budget was $100 million), meaning it will have to keep doing brisk business to turn a profit. An interesting article at Vulture says that Sony was investing in it heavily as part of a potential movie universe, like what Marvel has, but I think they should've kept costs low for the first installment just in case.
                                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Working...
                                X