Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love & Friendship

Really disappointed in this movie and can't believe the rave reviews it received. No plot, terrible characters, clunky and repetitive dialogue; there was really very little to like about this film.

One thing I did like was some of the actors' performances. Leave it to the Brits; they can make just about anything sound good. There were three supporting actors in particular who were great: Tom Bennett, James Fleet and Jemma Redgrave.

It's funny, it has a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics and 67% from audiences. I would have to agree with the audience on this one.
    Last edited by sallain; 08-19-2016, 04:53 PM.

Re: Love & Friendship

I actually saw this movie twice and enjoyed it much more the second time through. I think my expectations were too high going in the first time, and the audience that first time were a real bunch of duds who didn't "get" any of the witty banter. I was the only one who snickered or laughed at all. It was disconcerting and made me feel very self-conscious as the rest of the audience could just as easily have been at a funeral as a movie. I know a lot of Americans really struggle with understanding British accents so that might have played a part but also, I think the dryness of the British humor along with the arcane Regency language just didn't play. Anyhoo, the second viewing was much more enjoyable. Better audience, and my expectations were lessened (this is no Pride and Prejudice after all) enough that I was able to enjoy it as is. Just my two cents worth. And for the record, I thought Kate Beckinsale was absolutely stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by NightWriter View Post
      I know a lot of Americans really struggle with understanding British accents so that might have played a part but also, I think the dryness of the British humor along with the arcane Regency language just didn't play.
      I love British humor and arcane Regency language, (I wrote a screenplay set in this era) but I felt like this was a comedy where all the best jokes were in the trailer. I did laugh some during the movie, I definitely "got" the humor and understood all the dialogue, but there has to be more than some witty dialogue to make a movie. There has to be a compelling story, which I felt this film didn't have.

A lot of the action took place off screen and was followed by scenes of people walking and talking about the action that had invisibly occurred. For example, SPOILER ALERT: the two lovers that eventually had their HEA fell in love entirely off screen. We only knew they were in love when we saw them getting married. Also, we go from one scene where the hero tells his father there was no way that he and Lady Susan were getting married to a scene where they're discussing their secret engagement. Okay. When did that actually happen? I would have preferred seeing some of those scenes where something actually did happen as opposed to seeing a bunch of the same exact scene of them walking back and forth through the garden gate, talking. Also, Chloe Sevigny was so wooden, was a throwaway character, and was obviously only there so Kate Beckinsale could describe everything that happened off screen to her.

I'm totally fine with a film being all witty dialogue, as long as the dialogue advances the story or informs us about the characters. But this dialogue just seemed like it was trying to be witty, without telling a story.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I usually enjoy period films as well and had high hopes for this one, which is probably why I'm so disappointed.

Comment

Allow me to clarify. I didn't meant to imply that you had any trouble with the accents or the language. You've written a wonderful screenplay set in that time period. I was referring strictly to the audience that first time around. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

I actually agree with all of your points. I would classify this film as a "popcorn" flick for those of us who enjoy period dramas. A bit lightweight but nice to look at, and occasionally amusing. After the first viewing, I reconciled myself to that, and it made my second viewing more enjoyable. It probably also helped that I went with a friend the second time who also appreciates period dramas.

Comment

Originally posted by NightWriter View Post
          I would classify this film as a "popcorn" flick for those of us who enjoy period dramas. A bit lightweight but nice to look at, and occasionally amusing.
          I suppose this is what MR. MALCOLM'S LIST will be if it ever gets made, so perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh a critic.
          Last edited by sallain; 08-24-2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I watched this at a film festival with Whit Stilman in attendance.

I was also disappointed. I usually enjoy period pieces, and Jane Austen adaptations in particular, but this felt very episodic and disjointed to me. I also felt like it didn't tell me anything interesting about the characters, and they didn't experience any growth or self-awareness.

The character of the flaming idiot was the best part. And of course the clothes were nice.
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Can't stand the new fare available in multiplexes these days, so I was really looking forward and excited to see this movie.

Major disappointment about production design and cinematography.

What did they shoot on? An Iphone? Cause even if they didn't, they sure managed to make it look like they did. And did they get their lighting package at Cosco?

And the costumes! Soooooooo wrong! That were no regency costumes! What were they thinking!

It was a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by vstm10 View Post
                That were no regency costumes! What were they thinking!
                In their defense this film was set in the 1790's, not the Regency era. Not sure why, maybe because Austen wrote it when she was young? But I was a little taken aback by the costumes at first, too, and had to check the movie blurb to find out it wasn't actually set in Regency times.

Once I knew it wasn't regency, I actually enjoyed the costumes. One of the few things I did enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                  I watched this at a film festival with Whit Stilman in attendance...I was also disappointed.
                  Wow! What an amazing privilege. It's too bad the film didn't stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                    In their defense this film was set in the 1790's, not the Regency era. Not sure why, maybe because Austen wrote it when she was young? But I was a little taken aback by the costumes at first, too, and had to check the movie blurb to find out it wasn't actually set in Regency times.

Once I knew it wasn't regency, I actually enjoyed the costumes. One of the few things I did enjoy.
                    Yes, you may be right.

But Georgian fashion was kind of transitional, from large hoops to empire waists.

An astute production designer would never betray Austen's fans slapping them with Restoration skirts. Abominable. So, if even with a stretch that could be technically correct, it was a poor filmmaking decision.

Glad you love Austen too. Are you in LA? Cause if you are, we must have tea. To be sure.
                    Last edited by vstm10; 08-26-2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I felt the same about 45 Years (Tom Courtenay and Charlotte Rampling).... I so wanted to love it, like the critics, but it took everything in me to sit through to the end. Still unsure why, as it was [obviously] well written and well acted, but sadly I found it a total snooze.

Comment

Working...
                      X