No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split

Hi all! I hope your day is going great!

I am going to a screening of Split this evening. I have heard generally positive things about this newest Shyamalan film and am looking forward to it.

I for the most part enjoy his films, flawed though some may be. I do feel that many of his films suffered from misdirected advertising. Split looks to be entertaining from the trailers. Let's hope the trailers actually did the film justice this time.

James McAvoy always delivers stellar performances and with this character having multiple personalities he should have the opportunity to run the gambit with his acting.

On a personal note: I secretly have the hope that one of his personalities to come out is Mr. Tumnus. lol

Re: Split

No follow up? That bad, huh?

Comment

I thought it was terrible... but reviews are mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
        No follow up? That bad, huh?
        Unfortunately I ended up not getting to go to the screening. Something came up at work and I had to go do that instead of seeing the film.

Thinking about going to see it tomorrow though.

I have read good reviews about it so here's hoping.

Comment

Okey dokey, I went to see this today and was pleasantly surprised that it was quite good.

There were a few things that could have been better but I have come to expect that with Shyamalan films. There always seems to be somthing missing in his movies. Can't put my finger on it but something is definitely missing.

I think it was a good discussion piece about multiple personalities and the physical manifestations that can go along with it.

McAvoy did a great job morphing into each character. The main girl (can't remember her name) did fairly decent.

It was nice seeing the lady from the old show Eight is Enough as the doctor. I always like seeing older actors/actresses in films. They need work too just as much as the youngsters.

There were several times where some of the dialog was mumbled and hurried through. Shyamalan does have a style of dialog that can be hard for most actors to do well so many times they either rush thru it or do it "woodenly" (like Gibson in Signs), which is a shame because when you slow the dialog down or watch the film with the subtitles on the dialog is actually very smart. It's a shame it gets lost from inadequate performances.

One thing I did miss was the traditional "Shyamalan twist" that is present in his films. This one didn't have that. It did have a surprise at the end which I didn't expect but it didn't really have anything to do with the story per se.

I know many people won't like this film, but all in all I did enjoy it even with the flaws. Nice to see Shyamalan going back to his roots of low budget horror.

Comment

I still don't really get the negative reviews. I'm not gonna call it a masterpiece but I really enjoyed it. It helps that it is McAvoy heavy.

Comment

Working...
            X