Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester by the Sea - Wouldn't surprise me to learn that

That the part of Joe Chandler was targeted towards Ben Affleck but he was unavailable and so it went to Kyle Chandler.
    You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Re: Manchester by the Sea - Wouldn't surprise me to learn that

I just saw this yesterday. I was a little worried about not liking it mainly because it was littered with flashbacks ( a few flashbacks are fine if necessary to the story but my goodness this film had flashbacks every few minutes throughout), long odd pauses, editing issues, and a lot of characters talking over each other to the point that if I had not been watching with the subtitles on I wouldn't have known what was being said.

But I stuck with it to the end and I have to say I ended up liking it. Not necessarily the parts that had all the above mentioned irritating things, but Casey Affleck's performance during his "emotional" scene and the reveal of "what happened" was well worth it.

I can see why he was nominated/won for best actor across different awards shows.

The young man who played his nephew did a pretty good acting job as well.

The writing was ok. A lot of reusing the same words in single sentences and conversations, which I personally don't like because to me it seems lazy. But the story was good, you felt for the characters and I learned there is a place actually called Manchester By The Sea in Massachusetts.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
      I learned there is a place actually called Manchester By The Sea in Massachusetts.
      I can get there in under 10 minutes. And it's hardly the working-class community depicted in the movie; most of the homes there sell for over a million dollars. The majority of exteriors were shot down the street from my house and in the definitely more working-class city of Gloucester, twenty minutes north of M-B-t-S.

Comment

I watched this last night.

Had a lot of good actors in it.

It finally ended.

Sorry, but all I could think about all day, today, was how was this thing actually constructed? Because it looks like the director said to all the actors: "Mope, act violent occasionally, use a lot of vulgar language and eventually we'll run out of film."

I don't know why I always do this to myself -- every time I decide to watch a "critically acclaimed", Academy Award winning film, this happens.

What attracted me to this one is the writer said he "doesn't outline". Well... maybe he should. There, I said it.
        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

i'd give a thousand outlines for one Kenneth Lonergan script

Comment

Tuned out after half an hour... Some dude mumbling his way to an oscar.

Both Afflecks speak with a heavy slur I realize. Not sure if it's their accent or whatever but it can be jarring to hear.

Comment

I saw it last winter, and had the same first thought as Jake did a few posts up--should have been called "Gloucester," because the actual Manchester-by-the-Sea town is very affluent. I too live pretty close by. But I guess "Gloucester" doesn't have that nice movie ring to it.

As far as the film went, I mainly liked it, but it had some weird editing problems early on. That first hospital scene, when they said "he's downstairs," and they flash back to when the brother was first diagnosed. At first I didn't realize it was a flashback.

I wasn't a fan of yet another Boston area movie where everyone has an accent and spews profanity. It's just so over the top stereotypical, but that's more a local gripe.

I also remember when Matthew Broderick's name came up in the opening titles, everyone in the audience cooed. And then he only shows up for a few minutes an hour in as the sort of controlling, Christian husband. If they didn't have that subplot the film would have been too short, but it didn't add much, and I also suspect a lot of other Broderick got left on the cutting room floor.

Overall, the core dramatic purpose of it was strong and resonated, at least with me. Not sure it deserved quite the accolades it got, but I didn't see it as a flub as some did.
              Quato Lives!

Comment

Working...
              X