Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien: Covenant

Anyone seen it? I might go later today. I am fully expecting a major bummer bust.

Re: Alien: Covenant

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
    Anyone seen it? I might go later today. I am fully expecting a major bummer bust.
    Saw it over the weekend. Your expectations are about to be met. And hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl S. Court View Post
      Saw it over the weekend. Your expectations are about to be met. And hard.
      Does it replicate the basic story and beats of the original (going on 40-year-old) ALIEN or does it go in a different direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
        Does it replicate the basic story and beats of the original (going on 40-year-old) ALIEN or does it go in a different direction?
        Spoilers... I'll try and do the white text thing...

Yes, to a large extent it tries to replicate large chunks of Alien... and does it so, so badly. At the same time it tries to run with some theme-y stuff about creation which was interesting to a degree but didn't fit with the rest of the movie.

I had low expectations but even they weren't met. They really double down on the characters doing dumb stuff from Prometheus, bits of it are laughable. The CGI xenomorph is way less scary than a dude in a rubber suit.

The only good bits are with Fassbender's characters and not even all of that works. I felt engaged with the movie for about 5 minutes somewhere near the middle. There aren't really any characters, just, bodies. It's like someone looked at Aliens and said, OK, how do we do the opposite of that?

Comment

Re: DAVID: Covenant

SPOILERS

Horrible show. The whole crew are inept, selfish morons who deserve their fate.

Tons of plot holes too, but the worst issue I have is the focus on David for this new quadrilogy.

Couple of Pros:
          +Fassbender's acting is phenomenal.
          +The chestburster scenes were well-done.

Everything else stank. This isn't aliens anymore, where it was Man vs. Monsters. Now it's simply Man vs. Evil Robot's Monsters. The aliens are no longer the villains of the show, they're just minions of the chief antagonist David.

Much more stupid stuff, like how they killed off Elizabeth Shaw so ignominiously and with such a stupid reason. (Taking a leaf out of Newt/Hicks in Aliens 3 I suppose?) Why and how would she rebuild David when he proved himself to be borderline psychopathic in Prometheus? Now I haven't watched Prom again since I saw it in the cinema, but I recall David being all sinister when he said she had something gestating in her. And I dunno what else.

Plus the twist at the ending? So obvious it was insulting. The moment David cut his hair, I knew what was coming. Then they made Daniels seem to be the wisest of the lot; yet she doesn't ever pick up on this at the end? Nor does the Covenant's computer? Ha! And where did he find 2 facehugger embryos on such short notice? How did he create those?

Ridley's really lost it. This movie reminds me of Resurrection, with all of the I love my alien mumbo jumbo. And just as bad. If not worse.

Comment

Saw it last night.

Holy mother of ballz.

I am not going to go into it beyond saying this (semi-spoiler ahoy):

Always, always, always ask yourself if what your characters are doing is what a sane person would do. (That applies to what they don't do, too -- like landing on a wild alien planet and being amongst ruins of a dead megatron civilization and not one TRAINED SCIENTIST even commenting on it.)

Bad/unbelievable character reactions to holy-**** events is just brutal to watch and drives such a wedge between characters and audience.

John Logan got a writing credit, which should maybe explain stuff -- he's Penny Dreadful, which had good-but-pure-surface dialogue and a hella lame plot. Zero sense of story and structure.

Comment

Ya'll are a tough crowd.

I did like the scene (spoiler in white): where David had killed all the original people who were then frozen in place and scattered around David's compound/home. That was cool. Also liked how he had trained the face-huggers almost as pets -- it made sense, for his character, to want control and to "create." I thought Elizabeth Shaw being entombed in his little taxidermy lab thing was a great add.

But yeah, the characters had little development, and often made bad choices. I had a hard time figuring out who was who. Fassbender was stellar, as always, but the end point for his character was obvious to me from the beginning.

Interestingly, if they had included this "last supper scene" in the film, I think it would've helped flesh out the characters a bit. As it was, it was hard to care as much because we didn't get to know them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7URpWBNKE

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                if they had included this "last supper scene" in the film, I think it would've helped flesh out the characters a bit. As it was, it was hard to care as much because we didn't get to know them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7URpWBNKE
                They seem like such an unlikable bunch in that scene that if they had included it, audiences may have gone from not caring about them to actively rooting for their deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                  They seem like such an unlikable bunch in that scene that if they had included it, audiences may have gone from not caring about them to actively rooting for their deaths.
                  I didn't have that reaction at all, I thought it was watchable and the characters didn't seem unlikable at all.

Comment

i haven't seen this or Prometheus but the dwindling box-office returns on the franchise seem to be a function of the fact that NOBODY GIVES A **** ABOUT BACKSTORY. never once when i was watching the original Alien or Cameron's Aliens did I think to myself, "yeah yeah, all well and good with Ripley v. the creature(s) but what I really want to know is how the Aliens actually came into existence and for what purpose."

it would be like Spielberg rebooting the Jaws franchise back to the Cretaceous Period to show us how great white sharks became the relentless eating machine we saw in the original movie. it. doesn't. matter.

Comment

Just for variety's sake, I'd like to see one, single Alien film in which a short-haired-brunette female character doesn't end up being the heroine (and sole survivor, or almost-sole survivor) of the piece.

Do something different, for once. Make that character the villainess. Or have her die early. Anything to break what is now a cliche to the point of being an inevitability.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                        Just for variety's sake, I'd like to see one, single Alien film in which a short-haired-brunette female character doesn't end up being the heroine (and sole survivor, or almost-sole survivor) of the piece.

Do something different, for once. Make that character the villainess. Or have her die early. Anything to break what is now a cliche to the point of being an inevitability.
                        Yeah I prefer Blondes too!!!
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

It has become a joke, though: "Let's see: which one of these character is most Ripley-esque?" And like clockwork -- yep, she becomes the heroine. Yep, she alone survives (maybe with one extra pet or child or crew member).

Which is ridiculous, because they could easily do something different.

Comment

Covenant was the second in a continuing series about David and the engineers (an origins series). Those who did not like Prometheus will not like Covenant, because that's what it's about, cut and dry. The Covenant crew is merely window dressing to continue this throughline, and Daniel's character is millennialesque enough to appeal to *that* audience (pseudo-androgynous bowl-cut, gawd...). If you don't like focusing on David, engineers, and origin, you won't like Covenant. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                              i haven't seen this or Prometheus but the dwindling box-office returns on the franchise seem to be a function of the fact that NOBODY GIVES A **** ABOUT BACKSTORY. never once when i was watching the original Alien or Cameron's Aliens did I think to myself, "yeah yeah, all well and good with Ripley v. the creature(s) but what I really want to know is how the Aliens actually came into existence and for what purpose."

it would be like Spielberg rebooting the Jaws franchise back to the Cretaceous Period to show us how great white sharks became the relentless eating machine we saw in the original movie. it. doesn't. matter.
                              The above is the best insight into the continuing failure of this franchise simply to come up with a good movie, or much beyond "watchable," ever since ALIENS.

So I finally got around to seeing ALIEN: COVENANT on cable after being warned away from the movie house or pay-per-view by comments like the above. And I'm glad I steered clear for a year-and-a-half. (It's not a good sign when halfway through a flick that must have cost tens of millions to produce, you're having to fight the urge to give up and delete it from your DVR).

In defense of Scott, though -- there really isn't any defending this movie -- isn't he simply following the lead of G. Lucas who, when seeing the success of his by-a-shoestring-made STAR WARS (Episode IV, in the new canon), turned everything spontaneous and unexpected -- in a word, fun -- about that movie into one huge slab of Campbell/Jungian BACKSTORY with all the surprise factor of a paint-by-numbers kit?

The "dark, gripping" EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (with Darth Vader's prescient NOOOOO) may have resulted from that Backstory Impulse, but, like ALIENS, it turned out to be the last hurrah for an increasingly unviable franchise....

Comment

Working...
                              X