Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why the love?

I didn't like the "Hateful Eight" at all nor "Inglorious Bastards." But "True Romance" is awesome! It holds up well. I like "Dusk Til Dawn" the film as well though not as much as "True Romance."

I did not care for "Wedding Crashers." I also have a rule that I learned about 10 - 12 years ago and hold to it. Ready? I do not watch any film with the following people because I know it is not for me and I'm annoyed they are laughing their way to the bank autopiloting this drivel... Will Farrell, Tiny Fay, Vince Vaughn, Steve Carrell, Seth Rogan (exception is "This Is The End"), Jennifer Aniston & Amy Poeler (spelling might be off). They are okay in small doses and cameos and at one time in their career but now I avoid them. Paul Rudd was on that list until "Ant-Man" and now he's solid or at least in Marvel movies.

I'm watching the Netflix series "Glow" because it got super stellar reviews. I find it just "okay." It has it's moments. While not a Marc Maron fan I find him to be a true breakout star of this show but I guess you can't say that because he's a guy. No one talks enough about his performance.

Keeping up with this stream of consciousness... I liked "Guardians Of The Galaxy 1" for about 40 minutes or so then disliked the whole 3rd act. The Summer it was out people acted like it was brilliant then when I say I disliked the whole ending a couple of people admitted they felt the same way. I did not see the sequel ( it made enough money without my 10 bucks).

Comment

i really enjoy watching movies like wedding crashers, anchorman: the legend of ron burgandy, etc.

i thought the first part of THE JERK was hilarious, but it seemed to fall apart toward the end. Same for STRIPES...killer first hour and then, once they left boot camp the story seemed to try to find other funny stuff to do and got lost doing so.

i thought the Melanie character in THE BIRDS was almost as stiff as a mannequin. if would have made her a bit more human would have added more to the story and terror, especially when the birds are pecking her, etc.

Comment

i thought the first part of THE JERK was hilarious, but it seemed to fall apart toward the end. Same for STRIPES...killer first hour and then, once they left boot camp the story seemed to try to find other funny stuff to do and got lost doing so.

i thought the Melanie character in THE BIRDS was almost as stiff as a mannequin. if would have made her a bit more human would have added more to the story and terror, especially when the birds are pecking her, etc.[/QUOTE]

All three examples are in my opinion spot on, but strange in that I doubt STRIPES, THE JERK & THE BIRDS have ever been used in the same post of any message board. If Hitchcock ever saw this...

Comment

ha!

i've wondered why Hitchcock had Melanie so 'cold' and undamaged and the Annie Hayworth character so warm but seemingly damaged. watching the movie, it seems if Melanie was more human, the audience would care more when the birds start trying to kill her, eat her, etc. Hitchcock knew his business much more than i ever will, obviously, but i've wondered what the cold, almost too confident, perfect thing about Melanie is about.

Comment

i'm a fan of the 007 james bond movies, seen most of them, but i think the old ones with connery as bond have more edge and are the best. he just looks like he could be dangerous at any moment, without looking like he is trying to look dangerous. he just is. and the bad guys were almost out of comic books. good stuff.

i didn't like THE RIVER WILD. something about that movie just doesn't work.

i didn't like BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY. snore.

i like the blood and guts and the in your face immediacy of THE DEER HUNTER, but the scenes are way too long and...too much.

i like FIELD OF DREAMS and THE NATURAL, but FIELD OF DREAMS is better. too much Redford in THE NATURAL.

i like HEAVEN'S GATE. seems like a lot of folks don't care for it. but again, the scenes are too long.

i think jack lemmon saved MISTER ROBERTS.

the first two GODFATHER movies are masterpieces, the next is not. all the JAWS past the first one are not good. the first ROCKY is a masterpiece, the others get worse and worse until the last two, which were good. after FIRST BLOOD, Rambo and his struggles were not very interesting anymore...but FIRST BLOOD is a great movie.

i thought A FACE IN THE CROWD was a movie i am not sure i like or not, but it is disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Hughes View Post
              What movie does everyone else seem to love except you?

Mine is The Wolf of Wall Street ... shake my head
              -- Judging on the degree of love from critics and awards this film/story would be my number 1 pick to exclaim -- WTF!

I mean the protagonist is punching his pregnant wife in the belly and throwing her around. Now don't get me wrong where you think that I only want heavenly heroes.

This is not the case. I do not mind the anti-hero.

I loved "Scarface." I loved "The Road to Perdition" where Tom Hanks' character is a cold-blooded hit man. A murderer, which is not very likable, but we sympathize with him. He never killed anyone outside of the business. He's a very strong family man.

You can enjoy watching the anti-heroes in movies such as, "Scarface," "The Road to Perdition," etc. because they are identifiable/empathy, you understand them/sympathy and they are engaging to watch.

The anti-hero in "The Wolf of Wall Street" was a sick, repulsive sleazeball. I did not enjoy watching his story being told.

So again -- WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by J.Hughes View Post
                What movie does everyone else seem to love except you?

Mine is The Wolf of Wall Street - It got nominated and won lots of awards but I HATED it!!! The characters were so slimy, it made me sick and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Still to this day, if I see it's coming on, I always groan and shake my head
                You're not alone in hating Wolf of Wall Street -- but the point is, what about Goodfellas? Those guys are also all horrible characters, but Scorcese finds a way to make us identify with them, even as they're doing horrible things.

But I don't care one bit about the lead in Wolf of Wall Street. Seriously, you can only watch a train wreck for so long.

And speaking of train wrecks, I'd rather watch Wolf of Wall Street on a loop than ever watch Hugo again. That has to be Scorcese's all-time worst movie.

And I say that advisedly, because I couldn't get through more than ten minutes of The Last Temptation of Christ, whereas I was at Guild screening of Hugo where you had to commit not only to sit through the movie but also to stay and listen to the director and the writer talk about the process afterward -- and I was right up front, doing my very best to keep my big mouth shut about this movie that I thought was an unmitigated disaster in ever conceivable well while all those around me praised it to high heaven.

Understand -- this is normally a fantastic deal -- my son and I got to sit right up front for Lincoln with Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis and Tony Kushner on the stage.

But then there was Hugo. Freaking Hugo. With me sitting right up front with my arms crossed looking like I just saw -- well, like I just wasted two hours of my life seeing Hugo.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
                  And speaking of train wrecks, I'd rather watch Wolf of Wall Street on a loop than ever watch Hugo again. That has to be Scorcese's all-time worst movie.
                  NMS
                  Just to be clear -- are you saying you didn't like Hugo?
                  "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

I just took my family to see "Baby Driver." It got very good reviews. I noticed another thread on done deal with some mild praise. Since we were bored and fiending for a movie we went and saw this... I very much enjoyed the first 15 minutes. Good energy. I thought it was deserving of the love... Then midway it became just awful. I liked the Jamie Foxx character. he had good dialogue. But that was the only saving grace. The entire plot with Jon Hamm toward the end was straight out of a bad 80's film.

SPOILERS....

Characters acted out of character in the third act. On the 1st heist when Jamie Foxx gets violent I figured Baby would have some sort of angle/end game. He did not. Kevin Spacey's character who doesn't care about anyone and it a meticulous planner suddenly decides to get in a heroic gunfight so Baby can escape because he's a romantic at heart even though he is anything but. The whole listen to old music on an old I-pod because of my mom rang so much like Star Lord that it was laughable. I did not feel that the waitress should suddenly drop everything to be his partner in crime at the end. it wasn't like she was joining in with him at the "glamorous" phase of his robbing banks. She jumped right in when he's 100% on the run from cops and one of his rogue partners and there's violence RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER. That move based on her desire to leave her job for the open road was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h because at that moment baby was going to end up dead or in jail. The ending was a complete downer. Realistic. But a downer. OOOOHHHH, and I might be nitpicking here because people already know how I feel and maybe they liked it (people seem to AND for the record I like WOLF OF WALL STREET) but toward's the end Baby takes his foster parent to an assisted living home with cops looking for him. He places the man on the porch and shoves stolen money (from other heists) in the man's pockets, then runs off as the police close in. Um, do we really believe that the assisted living home, the police and the bank is just going to let the old man use stolen money for the remainder of his life? So if I rob a store of 200.00 and as I'm running from the cops I toss the money to my father and say go food shopping then keep running... When the cops catch up to my father a second later do they say "damn it. go ahead. The money only mattered if it was in your son's hands. Enjoy." Come on.

Comment

Also I was not a fan of "The Shallows" - that girl vs shark movie. It got high praise. I thought it was a syfy original with a bigger budget.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
                        I just took my family to see "Baby Driver." It got very good reviews. I noticed another thread on done deal with some mild praise. Since we were bored and fiending for a movie we went and saw this... I very much enjoyed the first 15 minutes. Good energy. I thought it was deserving of the love... Then midway it became just awful. I liked the Jamie Foxx character. he had good dialogue. But that was the only saving grace. The entire plot with Jon Hamm toward the end was straight out of a bad 80's film.
                        I didn't know anything about this movie. I noticed it because it collected the second most money over the weekend. I watched two long trailers and thought it looked kind of cool, so I played them for my wife.

She said: "I bet you've seen all the best parts now." Looks like she was probably right.
                        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Popular film comes out, DDP posters call it trash. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Just because a movie is popular doesn't mean it's good or in this case good for everyone. What is considered good in today's society is basically one single scene in which an entire film is built around it. I also think since sites like rotten tomatoes are used for reviews and ratings that the studios have it down to a science manipulating that. Yes, in the old days critics could be paid off or wined by a Robert Redford into giving a solid review in the paper but did you ever see a movie that had like a 98% of rotten tomatoes and wonder "huh?"

SPOILER for BABY DRIVER... SPOILER.... SPOILER...

Yes, all the good parts were in the trailers except for one... SPOILER ALERT... During a heist the leader says for each of the crew to wear Michael Myers Halloween masks and they send one of the crew to get the masks. When it's time to do the heist Michael Myers masks are passed to everyone only it's Austin Powers' masks. Jamie fox questions the crew member and he says "You guys wanted Michael Myers' masks." Then Jamie Fox said "it was supposed to be Halloween." The crew member responds "It is a Halloween mask." No one could argue. That was a good 40 seconds moment. I thought it was clever. had the rest of the movie had even two more of these scenes...

Comment

I should re-phrase, I mean popular and genuinely good. Also I ask of you, what film is good for everyone? It doesn't exist unfortunately. There's going to be some guy out there who thinks Toy Story is a piece of s**t. Whoever that guy is, he is the worst.

The hivemind nature of the internet today is an issue with films. I'm sure it has happened to everybody where they see a film only to be surprised by the reception it got after looking it up. For a second it makes you question whether you missed something. It's harder to have your own opinion on a film in a society obsessed with assigning numbers to them. So I think it is healthy to go against the grain sometimes. But it feels like I very rarely see people standing by a film that everybody else hated. That's what the passion of cinema is about, or at least used to.

As for Baby Driver I think the point of that film is simple, to excite and entertain. And I just don't see how it fails in that regard. You say it reminds of a bad 80s film but that isn't a criticism to me. Do you remember the films of the 80s? They were so fun, they didn't take themselves too seriously and they had a personality. I was watching Highlander the other night and laughed out loud when there was a repeated shot of Christopher Lambert caressing a woman's breasts. It was so damn 80s and it was pretty glorious. I love a bad film sometimes because they are still fun. There aren't many fun films anymore. Somehow they made five Transformers films and they are all so incredibly boring. The last one was like two and a half hours long for god sake. So I sat down to watch Baby Driver and it took me on a ride. I had fun and so did so many others. To nitpick a film like this is to miss the point. It is a film with personality in a world sorely lacking any personality in film.

Now for the nitpicks they just don't seem like things that could ruin it. Baby didn't have much time to plan much of anything. He's just a kid so he did what he thought was best; go for it and roll with the punches.

Doc was shown to have a soft spot for Baby from the start and throughout. He is not a good man by any means but I think he genuinely wants to see Baby doing well for himself, he just wanted to profit at the same time.

Edgar Wright has had Baby Driver in his head for like two decades and has been actively working on it for over a decade. All of this was in his head long before Marvel had the idea to greenlight a Guardians of the Galaxy film. Hollywood moves so slow that sometimes these similarities happen through no fault of the filmmakers. The music was just a backdrop in GotG. In Baby Driver music is so much more important with action set to the beats of the songs. Do you have any idea how difficult all of that was? It wasn't done on a whim to copy GotG. It was an artist sticking to his guns.

Debora was really caught between a rock and a hard place when she chose to go with Baby. The one thing that had been firmly established was that she was a young person bored with her humdrum life. In the end she chose to be with the man she liked and to indulge in a little excitement for once. So no, I don't think anybody truly acted out of character, not enough to break the film.

You thought the ending was a downer? Everyone he was kind to spoke up for him. He had to repay his debt to society due to his crimes and he did. Thanks to those people, he still had his whole life ahead of him once he got out to be with the love of his life on the open road. To me that was uplifting, if you want a downer try Requiem for a Dream.

As for leaving Joseph at the assisted living facility it is a stretch but every film is allowed to have your disbelief suspended for a while. A man turned up with money on their doorstep. It was an act of kindness and no questions asked about the money. I don't think it is unfeasible that they would roll with it.

Rant over.

I liked Baby Driver.

Go and see it or stop complaining about the lack of original films out in the summer months.

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
                              Just because a movie is popular doesn't mean it's good or in this case good for everyone. What is considered good in today's society is basically one single scene in which an entire film is built around it. I also think since sites like rotten tomatoes are used for reviews and ratings that the studios have it down to a science manipulating that. Yes, in the old days critics could be paid off or wined by a Robert Redford into giving a solid review in the paper but did you ever see a movie that had like a 98% of rotten tomatoes and wonder "huh?"

SPOILER for BABY DRIVER... SPOILER.... SPOILER...

Yes, all the good parts were in the trailers except for one... SPOILER ALERT... During a heist the leader says for each of the crew to wear Michael Myers Halloween masks and they send one of the crew to get the masks. When it's time to do the heist Michael Myers masks are passed to everyone only it's Austin Powers' masks. Jamie fox questions the crew member and he says "You guys wanted Michael Myers' masks." Then Jamie Fox said "it was supposed to be Halloween." The crew member responds "It is a Halloween mask." No one could argue. That was a good 40 seconds moment. I thought it was clever. had the rest of the movie had even two more of these scenes...

Comment

[QUOTE=TheConnorNoden;950446]I should re-phrase, I mean popular and genuinely good. Also I ask of you, what film is good for everyone? It doesn't exist unfortunately. There's going to be some guy out there who thinks Toy Story is a piece of s**t. Whoever that guy is, he is the worst.

Okay, wait a second. To say BABY DRIVER is genuinely good and original... Man, I could get into it with you. But I'm going to buzz away from the hive mentality of the internet. Comparing my distaste for BABY DRIVER to someone not liking TOY STORY is a wildly absurd. TOY STORY was not only a damn good movie it was original at the time.

Here's the thing... SPOILER SPOILER... I bet you enjoyed the beginning when Baby sat composed and kept pulling out an endless supply of sunglasses to annoy the bank robber who pulled them off him. Right? It was fun. A good character moment for Baby. I guess we can say also that the bank robber's speech was forshadowing that Baby would soon be aware of just how unfunny the life of a criminal can be. Everything that made Baby cool and original was gone by the 3rd act as he just was as cliché as Jon Hamm doing Rutger Hauer's THE HITCHER impression.

Saying that this is a good movie and that I don't like good movies cause I'm a hater is madness. Look, I get it we all like what we like. I like some bad movies but I know they're flawed. I'm not going to stick my neck out for EXPENDABLES 2 and compare not liking that to not liking JAWS. You liked the movie. You think I'm crazy not liking it. I think you're crazy liking and defending it. Okay. Guess what? The movie made money. We both brought a ticket and the hero didn't wear tights. A win for the studio I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X