Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Driver

Edgar Wright's homage to classic car/heist movies like The Driver is a fun sugar rush, and a welcome shift in gears from the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost pairings. mostly wish Lilly James had more to do than stand around in a waitress uniform batting her eyelashes at Ansel Elgort, or be a bargaining chip when his character needs to be motivated, but for what it is, the movie delivers the goods
    Last edited by JoeBanks; 07-01-2017, 07:22 PM.

Re: Baby Driver

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    Edgar Wright's homage to classic car/heist movies like The Driver is a fun sugar rush, and a welcome shift in gears from the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost pairings. mostly wish Lilly James had more to do than stand around in a waitress uniform batting her eyelashes at Ansel Elgort but for what it is, the movie delivers the goods
    Fair enough! It remains high on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      but for what it is, the movie delivers the goods
      Yeah, I had fun, but I can't help but to think that if it took out the "one last job," and the waitress manic pixie dream girl, and the stock Kevin Spacey doing stock Kevin Spacey, it still would have been fun, it still would have been a homage, but it would have been fresh. I guess freshness wasn't the movie's purpose.

I didn't think about it once after leaving the theater, until I saw your post. Hate it when that happens.

Comment

Enjoyed it, definitely one of the better films I've seen this year. I can't think of any parts that will go on to become iconic, it wasn't at that level, but I thought the dialogue was excellent, there were plenty of great fun moments and I was never bored.

Comment

This film is a two hour long music video filled with .5 dimensional characters and no plot beyond one cliched situation stacked upon another (but hey, it's all done with a wink at the camera so that makes it ground-breaking somehow).

Baby Driver will be loved by the generation of film fans who believe that movies have literally no aspiration beyond being 'thrilling' for the 2 hours you spend drooling into your popcorn, at the expense of story, logic, reason or anything even remotely resembling human life (see also the previously successful live-action cartoons for adults: John Wick, Kingsman and Mad Max Fury Road).

It's fun for what it is, but it's a shame that we're heading towards this being all that there is.

Comment

It's a perfect illustration of how an original character can put a fresh spin on a familiar concept.

The "one last job" and running away with the girl is extremely well-worn.

But a young orphaned getaway driver who suppresses his Tinnitus symptoms with a diverse iPod playlist proved immensely entertaining.

All that said, for me the movie suffered from a common problem -- the first 5 minutes are awesome and the film never returned to the same heights.

Absolutely worth watching though.
            NOTES / COVERAGE
            15,000+ Screenplays
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
              ... Baby Driver will be loved by the generation of film fans who believe that movies have literally no aspiration beyond being 'thrilling' for the 2 hours you spend drooling into your popcorn, at the expense of story, logic, reason or anything even remotely resembling human life....
              I have not seen it, and almost certainly will not. But from what I am learning about it here, I would probably agree with you, kintnerboy.

However, I am glad that some other people have derived enjoyment from it.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                I didn't think about it once after leaving the theater, until I saw your post. Hate it when that happens.
                I enjoyed it too. Right up til the moment I saw your post and had to agree.

Still, it was good fun at the time.

Comment

Pretty overrated in my opinion. A 7/10 at best. Definition of style over substance. Some good character work and dialogue, but the plot is mediocre. Kevin Spacey's character goes from heartless murderer to sacrificing himself for Baby for no believable reason.

Comment

Just caught it. DaltWisney is right, it's like a gritty, darker Fast and Furious movie, nothing we haven't seen before.

And Buddy avoids capture/death so many times it's unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                    X