Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider-Man Homecoming

Enjoyed Spider-Man Homecoming. Alot of fun. Holland, Batalon, Downey Jr. and Keaton were all excellent. Had this fast paced Back to the Future/Breakfast Club vibe too for those remember those films.
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: Spider-Man Homecoming

They finally got it - mostly - right. Three small little moments that I wish had been different, but all in all, loved it

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
      They finally got it - mostly - right. Three small little moments that I wish had been different, but all in all, loved it
      I too loved it but could find niggles if I wanted to. I'm just so grateful to have a good Spidey film that I'm choosing to look the other way on it. What were the three little moments out of curiousity?

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
        I too loved it but could find niggles if I wanted to. I'm just so grateful to have a good Spidey film that I'm choosing to look the other way on it. What were the three little moments out of curiousity?
        SPOILERS....

Adrian Toomes being Liz Allen's dad. I liked it for the surprise twist, but wished they would have made her (or mentioned her) being a step-daughter because they call them both by name and the last names are different. It can easily be explained, I suppose, but the fact that they didn't bother bothered me.

"My friends call me MJ." Ugh. Her name is Michelle. At least call her Mary and let us in on the gag if it has to be that. Heck call her Mae for short which raises all kinds of weird auntie-oedipal issues in its own right, but at least it can be a shortened version of Mary. Michelle? Not even close to honoring the mythology of Spidey.

And lastly the suit...

Tony makes the statement, "If you're nothing without the suit, then you don't deserve it." I would prefer to see Spidey be more traditional. I actually liked the Iron-Spidey concept but felt it doesn't fly past one movie. When Tony offered him the suit, I would have preferred to see Peter refuse it. "I'm more than a suit," type of thing. And then we have Spider-Man all on his own without any god in the machine crutches at his disposal.

Those were my big three.

I would have liked at least one more throwaway line. Instead of "After all she's been through" could have been just as easily "With what happened to Uncle Ben."

Still... Loved the movie despite the hiccups.

What were yours?

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
          SPOILERS....

Adrian Toomes being Liz Allen's dad. I liked it for the surprise twist, but wished they would have made her (or mentioned her) being a step-daughter because they call them both by name and the last names are different. It can easily be explained, I suppose, but the fact that they didn't bother bothered me.

"My friends call me MJ." Ugh. Her name is Michelle. At least call her Mary and let us in on the gag if it has to be that. Heck call her Mae for short which raises all kinds of weird auntie-oedipal issues in its own right, but at least it can be a shortened version of Mary. Michelle? Not even close to honoring the mythology of Spidey.

And lastly the suit...

Tony makes the statement, "If you're nothing without the suit, then you don't deserve it." I would prefer to see Spidey be more traditional. I actually liked the Iron-Spidey concept but felt it doesn't fly past one movie. When Tony offered him the suit, I would have preferred to see Peter refuse it. "I'm more than a suit," type of thing. And then we have Spider-Man all on his own without any god in the machine crutches at his disposal.

Those were my big three.

I would have liked at least one more throwaway line. Instead of "After all she's been through" could have been just as easily "With what happened to Uncle Ben."

Still... Loved the movie despite the hiccups.

What were yours?
          Minor spoilers follow -

I agree with the first point, it seems like a needless misdirection with the sole intention of conning us. The MJ stuff is only meant to be a little nod apparently. I would prefer that if they're going to make an original character then they should do just that, keep them original without muddying the waters. I agree on the suit as it just made him too reliant on Tony Stark. I would have liked Peter to develop his own low level tech and it could have developed with each film. I think the film was wise to avoid a lot of Uncle Ben stuff. It has been covered so much and I don't think anything will top how he was portrayed in the first Spider-Man film. I think it was done to keep things light but it does take some of the heart out of it.

My issues aren't even issues really. It's a good, fun film. Spider-Man is almost always a tragic character who has to learn that hard way that with great power comes great responsibility. Here though he makes a lot of mistakes and kind of gets away with it. The worst thing that happened was the destruction of his regular sandwich shop near the beginning and nothing really came of that. The film was really enjoyable so it isn't an actual criticism, just a bit of a different take on the character. Given how ASM and ASM2 panned out that was probably a wise choice.

The dynamic with Vulture was great and I think Keaton was the best Marvel villain in a long time. The homage to Amazing Spider-Man #33 was a highlight. I enjoyed Ned as comic relief. Marisa Tomei is too hot and it always feels like there's an incestuous undercurrent though I imagine that's just me projecting something that isn't there.

I feel I did have more points that irked me but I ended up listing more of the things I liked so it must have done a fair bit right. Looking forward to more. Tom Holland is pretty great.

Comment

As ever Film Crit Hulk goes into a lot more detail than I can http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/...vel-fatal-flaw

Comment

Ah yes... the nod to #33 was a brilliant touch.

I think that's the tiny gems we get from Marvel Studios. You can tell thay really do know their characters.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                As ever Film Crit Hulk goes into a lot more detail than I can http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/...vel-fatal-flaw
                There's a lot of truth here.

My only retort is what the crit pointed out very briefly in the area of change. They can't have too much change for sake of longevity, I suppose. It's like the two dozen James Bond movies where somebody says, "You can't be James Bond anymore," and James say, "oh ok, we'll see about that" and goes and shoots people and blows things up and wins the day.

Comment

Working...
                X