• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EvilRbt
    replied
    Re: Dunkirk

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
    You have my sympathy. Will you be going to watch it or would it feel like a kick in the teeth?
    I actually can't wait to see it but unable to until next week (babysitter).

It will be a bittersweet experience. I read four books on the subject, watched a few docs, and the UK feature from the 50s. I'm a Brit who grew up spoon-fed WWII and I even used to drive jeeps, tanks, trucks, etc. because my father was in the collector world. So it was very much a passion project. The "little boats" aspect of Dunkirk is a remarkable chapter in history and few people seemed to know the story.

With Nolan being English too, I imagine it was also a passion project of his for many years as well. Can't blame the guy for being a genius and making a huge career for himself before I could.

Leave a comment:

• TheConnorNoden

• TheConnorNoden
    replied

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
    This is a painful one for me. I wrote a Dunkirk script 15 years ago. My reps at the time wouldn't take it out because nobody wanted WWII. I shelved it as my passion project to revisit later. You win, Nolan.

For anyone else who's been beaten to the conceptual finish line by a competing project, it happens to the best of us.
    I was writing a pro wrestling based Pilot when I found out that a guy was already getting buzz from his pro wrestling based script. The kicker came when I found out that he was from my town that only has a population of 30,000. I literally couldn't even claim to have the best wrestling script in a little English town.

You have my sympathy. Will you be going to watch it or would it feel like a kick in the teeth?

Leave a comment:

• EvilRbt
    replied

This is a painful one for me. I wrote a Dunkirk script 15 years ago. My reps at the time wouldn't take it out because nobody wanted WWII. I shelved it as my passion project to revisit later. You win, Nolan.

For anyone else who's been beaten to the conceptual finish line by a competing project, it happens to the best of us.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks

• JoeBanks
    replied

saw it tonight. it was fine. very intense from start to finish, though i never felt especially invested in the characters beyond the level of sheer survival. doesn't do as much to change my opinion of Nolan as a master director but an average storyteller.

Leave a comment:

• ewtaylor
    Regular

• ewtaylor
    started a topic Dunkirk

Dunkirk

Caught it today and really liked it. Love the way he told the story through the eyes of the different characters.
Working...
X