• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Shepard passed away

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/t...pard-dead.html

RIP

Re: Sam Shepard passed away

well dang. so much talent. he seemed like someone who was absolutely built from the ground up for the business he was in. he had IT all over the place.

Comment

This one is so sad for me. He was the first playwright that really made me go "THIS. THIS is what I want to do someday." For the first couple of years after I first read him in high school (and then saw him on screen), if people asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I'd say, "I want to be the female Sam Shepard." I've drifted in other directions since, writing-wise, but I still think he's brilliant.

Anyway, rest in peace. It's good to know his work will live on after him, at least.

Comment

Did anyone see that doc' on Netflix last year about him and another guy trying to get their letters auctioned to the highest bidder ( I guess they had handwritten letters to one another for years)? It was so interesting. It was filmed during a brief period he was financially behind and living in a motor inn or something. His partner seemed to resent him a little as he himself was poverty level. At this point they were barely friends and yet they needed one another to sell these letters. A must for fans of Sam.

Outside of his writing he also acted in some action movies. I thought he was cool in "Black Hawk Down" playing a guy so vastly different from himself.

Comment

The doc' was called "Shepherd & Dark."

Comment

COUNTRY was powerful. The slow, terrible destruction of a farmer. His wife was stronger in the movie.

Comment

I've been on a Malick kick lately, so I'll give Days of Heaven a re-watch. Really enjoyed him in everything he was in.

Comment

Working...
              X