Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It

Okay, so I finally got around to seeing this (I cut the cable cord a long time ago and still do the Netflix dvds by mail thing-- which is still one of the greatest bargains of all time, btw).

I knew that It was not going to be a *great* movie, largely because King's novel is not that great to begin with. The book contained a few wonderfully evocative passages about childhood, but otherwise coasted along (much like the film) on the adult reader's nostalgia for their 50's childhoods and some cameos by the old Universal monsters.

It The Movie benefited much the same way from some leftover 80s / Stranger Things goodwill, as well as some residual heat for the 2017 scary clown memes.

Plot-wise it's one of King's thinnest (which is ironic, since It is almost 1200 pages long). Seven kids each have an individual encounter with the titular monster (who for some reason doesn't harm them at all, despite being one of the most prolific child-killing monsters of all time) then they band together to drive him away (**Spoiler alert** in the sequel, they do the exact same thing, except there's only six of them).

Long story short, I didn't like this movie. It lost me in the very first scene, when little Georgie Denbrough gets yanked down into the sewer by the monster. In what world are sewer grates big enough for a child to fit through? Derry would have been sued into bankruptcy 50 years ago just from all the accidents alone.

That is exactly the type of scene Stephen King would never write. He always grounded his supernatural premises in a realistic world (with normal sized sewers), because he knew if you believed everything else in the story, you might be fooled into believing the fantasy.

Also, SK said that he chose a clown persona as the most common disguise of the monster because, to a child, a clown is friendly and benign. It allows the monster to sneak up on them and gain their trust. Somehow, that concept was lost on the director here, who had Bill Skarsguard go full batshit from the opening scene.

Needless to say, I will probably skip the sequel.

Comment

Working...
    X