Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mother!

Heading out soon to see this one. Looking forward to it.

I love Aronofsky films. He always has good, interesting stories. (my fav of his films is The Fountain).

I'm a little hesitant about mother (but still looking forward to it) only because of Jen Lawrence. She (in my opinion) isn't the greatest actress like many people think. But Aronofsky can usually pull good performances from people, so here's hoping.

Has anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts?

Re: mother!

Like Black Swan, it isn't for everyone. I found it to be annoyingly pretentious and lazy at times, forcing out of thin air visual effects to do the work. I'm sure people will love it though.

Requiem for a Dream remains the only DA film I've enjoyed. But that's me.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

This is called a review by Rex Reed, but it gives a lot away. To say he was critical of it is probably an understatement. I'm giving the "review" a SPOILER ALERT!

‘Mother!’ Is the Worst Movie of the Year, Maybe Century
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

I enjoyed the movie okay, but the whole time I was thinking how Aronofsky is clearly a fan of Son of Saul.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
          This is called a review by Rex Reed, but it gives a lot away. To say he was critical of it is probably an understatement. I'm giving the "review" a SPOILER ALERT!

‘Mother!’ Is the Worst Movie of the Year, Maybe Century
          If the movie is anything like Rex Reed says it is, I think he came along too late to "spoil" it. Ugh.

EDIT: The only movie of Darren Aronofsky's that I *started* to watch was the The Fountain. Got about ten minutes into it and gave up. My impression was that it was boring and pretentious.
          Last edited by Centos; 09-16-2017, 07:52 PM.
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
            If the movie is anything like Rex Reed says it is, I think he came along too late to "spoil" it. Ugh.

EDIT: The only movie of Darren Aronofsky's that I *started* to watch was the The Fountain. Got about ten minutes into it and gave up. My impression was that it was boring and pretentious.
            This was always going to be a love or hate film. Luckily for me the critics that I actually like have loved it so I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Hi all,

ok, so I saw this one and have to say I really liked it. I know many do not because it is a bit heavy handed with the message. But I already knew going in that it was a "soapbox" film that Aronofsky was wanting to put out. And yes, he was very high up on that soapbox preaching his message. Most of his films are message films.

So if you go in knowing that you may actually like it.

I loved the allegory upon allegory. I also like that he didn't put exactly what everything was supposed to mean to his mind out there so the audience can come up with their own thoughts.

After the film was over I had several people ask me while the end credits were going what I thought everything was about. That doesn't happen anymore. When was the last time that happened to you in the theater?

Plus when walking out after it was over I noticed several people talking about the film to total strangers in the lobby.

So it's definitely a film that gets people talking, whether they liked it or not. To me that makes a film a good film...conversation about it after it's over. It is one that sticks in the mind for days after, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                This was always going to be a love or hate film. Luckily for me the critics that I actually like have loved it so I'm looking forward to it.
                Looks like you might have to watch it quick if you want to see it in a theater. According to Box Office Mojo, it's headed for a short theatrical release.

Third place went to Darren Aronofsky's mother!, which not only opened with a supremely disappointing $7.5 million from 2,368 locations, but became one of only 19 films to ever receive an "F" CinemaScore suggesting a 60+% drop next weekend and a short-lived theatrical experience.

Box Office Mojo is comparing it to 2009's The Box -- which matched this one with $7.5 million and an F CinemaScore. The Box ended up grossing $15 million.
                STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Looks like you might have to watch it quick if you want to see it in a theater. According to Box Office Mojo, it's headed for a short theatrical release.

Third place went to Darren Aronofsky's mother!, which not only opened with a supremely disappointing $7.5 million from 2,368 locations, but became one of only 19 films to ever receive an "F" CinemaScore suggesting a 60+% drop next weekend and a short-lived theatrical experience.
                  On a budget of just $30 million I don't think it'll hurt much.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                    On a budget of just $30 million I don't think it'll hurt much.
                    What's weird is that (according to Box Office Mojo) the top seven movies this week all have budgets under $35 million -- even It. Three of them have budgets of $15 million or under. How often does that happen?

Comment

What's weird is that (according to Box Office Mojo) the top seven movies this week all have budgets under $35 million -- even It. Three of them have budgets of $15 million or under. How often does that happen?
                      True. But I wouldn't expect September movies to cost much since grosses aren't expected to be outrageously high.
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I loved the film. I got out and went to check Rex Reed's review. One of his points was that Michelle Pfeiffer was "looking unbelievably haggard". I've read largely critical reviews that I can see the validity of and a fair few where they are off base. I'd advise anyone to go and form their own opinion.

Besides that I would find a different critic to tell you what to see because Rex Reed is a f*****g tool.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                          I loved the film. I got out and went to check Rex Reed's review. One of his points was that Michelle Pfeiffer was "looking unbelievably haggard". I've read largely critical reviews that I can see the validity of and a fair few where they are off base. I'd advise anyone to go and form their own opinion.

Besides that I would find a different critic to tell you what to see because Rex Reed is a f*****g tool.
                          I don't think forty mules could drag me in to watch this.

And you have to admit, the following quote from Rex Reed is pretty funny:

(SPOILERS -- highlight to read)

"The New York Times critic arrogantly warns in his review: "Don't listen to anyone who natters on about how intense or disturbing it is.- Sorry, pal, but a mob that burns a screaming baby and its mother alive, then turns cannibal, eats the baby and rips its heart out to flush down the toilet while Patti Smith sings about the end of the world pretty much fits my definition of both "intense- and "disturbing.- What's yours?"
                          "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

He's an idiot.

This is the most daring studio release in many years. Everyone has come out of it with a strong opinion one way or another. It's provocative to say the least and one of those rare films that splits opinion. I can't understand how any aspiring writer or filmmaker wouldn't want to see a film that has been such a hot topic as this.

I for one am glad that the likes of Darren Aronofsky and Harmony Korine are out there and unwilling to play it safe.

Comment

I think a big chunk of the backlash is coming from the fact that it was marketed as a normal horror film and people didn't appreciate being tricked into watching a jet black surrealist arthouse comedy.

Comment

Working...
                              X