Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Bird

Greta Gerwig's debut turn as writer/director delivers as advertised. Fairly autobiographical chronicling of her final year of high school in Sacramento ("the midwest of California"), with dreams of escaping to the east coast-NYC for college. but in a family lacking either the wherewithal to fund that dream or a mother who actually believes in her ability to make it happen. great performances all around, great writing that nails the high school experience, and from a wholly female perspective that stands apart from the 80s John Hughes-style take. funny and real

Re: Lady Bird

I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it that much.

I have a 17 year old myself going through the college app process, coincidentally. I thought the film had some nice moments and was certainly well acted, but it wasn't a stand out to me, though everything was solid (however, I didn't think the mom role was very believable, and some other threads of the story were a little tropey, like the boyfriend -- not to give away anything.)

Possibly, just possibly, living through this exact moment and knowing how dramatic it is, it's hard to make it more dramatic or entertaining to me than I really find it IRL, lol.

(Saying that, I really enjoyed Gerwig in TWENTIETH CENTURY WOMEN.)

Comment

I'm with Joe on this one.

Really good. Honest, vulnerable, unromanticized look at a teen's experiences.

Also a really interesting film from a directing/editing standpoint. It goes along at this really novel, idiosyncratic clip, lingering a second less than your gut tells you it will when cutting from event to event.
      - - - - - - -
      Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Well acted, but not really much new here IMO.

I think the problem with these things is that the filmmakers are out to tell "their" story, but really every coming of age story involves the same experiences -- exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs/alcohol, testing friendships, applying for college, looming adulthood. Just because it takes place in Sacramento in a Catholic environment and Gerwig gets to take a personal trip down memory lane doesn't do enough to really change that.

All that said, it was enjoyable enough.

Comment

Certainly a decent film but not as good as I expected. It's full of a "this is so interesting because it's MY story" attitude. Which is something you expect a filmmaker to get over pretty early on.

Comment

Originally posted by mlongton View Post
            Certainly a decent film but not as good as I expected. It's full of a "this is so interesting because it's MY story" attitude. Which is something you expect a filmmaker to get over pretty early on.
            yes, it was personal. just like "400 Blows" or "American Graffiti" many filmmakers tell the story of their own coming of age in this way. happily, none of them "got over it" either

Comment

Originally posted by mlongton View Post
              I totally agree with you on this, though I didn't go into it with any expectations.

I've been surprised at the love it's been receiving. It's simply not that earth shattering or groundbreaking or emotionally provocative IMO, not to say it's not fun and generally easy to watch.

Comment

Most of the film took place 10 miles from where I lived before I came here. Recognized a lot of the exteriors, including the airport at the end.

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                Greta Gerwig's debut turn as writer/director delivers as advertised. Fairly autobiographical chronicling of her final year of high school in Sacramento ("the midwest of California"), with dreams of escaping to the east coast-NYC for college. but in a family lacking either the wherewithal to fund that dream or a mother who actually believes in her ability to make it happen. great performances all around, great writing that nails the high school experience, and from a wholly female perspective that stands apart from the 80s John Hughes-style take. funny and real

Comment

Working...
                X