Funny, violent AND philosophical

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Funny, violent AND philosophical

    I'm looking for examples of films or TV shows that mix all three. It seems to me that oftentimes they'll have two out of the three but not all three. For example, Tarantino tends to be funny and violent, but while there's usually a character spouting out a theory at some point, I wouldn't call his films philosophical. Mob films tend to be either violent / funny or violent / philosophical, etc. It seems to me that crime novels also tend to combine two but not three.

    Maybe it's a hard combo to pull off or maybe I'm just drawing a blank.

    Help me out!

  • #2
    Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

    It really depends on what your "philosophical" point is. Are you meaning that the characters have philosophical ideas/morals? or that the movie subject matter in itself lends to philosophical discussion?

    Personally I would tend to think Deadpool would fill all 3 of your criteria. It is funny, definitely violent, and philosophical as well. Whether Deadpool himself as a character is philosophically minded is up for debate, you have to agree that you can wonder in philosophical terms about his character knowing he is just that...a character in a film/comic book.

    Someone even wrote a book about it called Deadpool and Philosophy: My Common Sense is Tingling by Nicolas Michaud.

    Others I can think of are Requim for a Dream and mother!. Aronofsky tends to add in humor (even if the only humor is the absurdity of the situation) with violence and philosophical thoughts.

    Also the Fisher King as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

      Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
      It really depends on what your "philosophical" point is. Are you meaning that the characters have philosophical ideas/morals? or that the movie subject matter in itself lends to philosophical discussion?

      Personally I would tend to think Deadpool would fill all 3 of your criteria. It is funny, definitely violent, and philosophical as well. Whether Deadpool himself as a character is philosophically minded is up for debate, you have to agree that you can wonder in philosophical terms about his character knowing he is just that...a character in a film/comic book.

      Someone even wrote a book about it called Deadpool and Philosophy: My Common Sense is Tingling by Nicolas Michaud.

      Others I can think of are Requim for a Dream and mother!. Aronofsky tends to add in humor (even if the only humor is the absurdity of the situation) with violence and philosophical thoughts.

      Also the Fisher King as well.
      THE FISHER KING is a great example, thanks! I'm thinking certain Kubrick films would fit the bill too.

      By philosophical, I mean that characters are actively engaged in moral dilemmas, inner conflict (real inner conflict, not the kind that lasts 30 seconds and is just thrown in there for good measure), debates, and so on, not just the overall philosophy of the film. For instance, maybe a cop is constantly torn between the way he would like to view the world and the reality of the world he sees on a daily basis. Maybe a humanitarian worker is torn between cultural tolerance and aspects of certain cultures that make her want to commit murder. Or maybe there are just scenes where people are discussing socially relevant issues. That kind of stuff.

      I actually did think of DEADPOOL, but I'm wondering if comic book genre and violence isn't sort of a separate category. Not sure.

      Anyway, I do think it's tough to pull off, tonally. If you have one scene where someone's getting their head sawed off and then you have someone cracking jokes a few scenes later, you need to be confident and know what you're doing.

      Probably certain noir films have that trifecta. Not funny haha, but more like funny witty and funny dark.

      Shane Black to some extent too.

      Now I'm thinking of ADAPTATION. The violence isn't super present or super gory, but I wonder, if it HAD been, would the film still have worked?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

        "Seven Psychopaths." This film is underrated and ticks off everything you want and more.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

          Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
          "Seven Psychopaths." This film is underrated and ticks off everything you want and more.
          I'll check it out, thanks!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

            In Bruges
            True Romance
            The Nice Guys
            Payback
            Heathers
            Fight Club
            Cabin in the Woods

            In Bruges is easily the strongest in all three areas. An absolute gem.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

              Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
              In Bruges
              True Romance
              The Nice Guys
              Payback
              Heathers
              Fight Club
              Cabin in the Woods

              In Bruges is easily the strongest in all three areas. An absolute gem.
              Great list, thanks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                Maybe?

                Grosse Pointe Blank
                "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                  I'd say Three Billboards has all three properties.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                    Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                    I'm looking for examples of films or TV shows that mix all three. It seems to me that oftentimes they'll have two out of the three but not all three. For example, Tarantino tends to be funny and violent, but while there's usually a character spouting out a theory at some point, I wouldn't call his films philosophical. Mob films tend to be either violent / funny or violent / philosophical, etc. It seems to me that crime novels also tend to combine two but not three.

                    Maybe it's a hard combo to pull off or maybe I'm just drawing a blank.

                    Help me out!
                    Clockwork orange.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                      Great titles, thanks all.

                      GROSSE POINT BLANK is one of my faves!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                        If you're looking for TV, Rome was good. It's one of HBO's least rapey shows, or at least thus far it is. I only just started season 2

                        As for films, Bunraku is interesting and fun. I enjoyed it
                        I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                          Originally posted by LithodoraGamgee View Post
                          If you're looking for TV, Rome was good. It's one of HBO's least rapey shows, or at least thus far it is. I only just started season 2

                          As for films, Bunraku is interesting and fun. I enjoyed it
                          I've been meaning to check out ROME. Though I translate a brilliant French comic books series set in Ancient Rome, so I sort of wish HBO hadn't created this one!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                            Originally posted by LithodoraGamgee View Post
                            If you're looking for TV, Rome was good. It's one of HBO's least rapey shows, or at least thus far it is. I only just started season 2
                            I enjoyed Rome immensely! Great story-line and great actors.

                            If you happen to like weird and disturbing, then try Carnivale (2003-05). Just like Rome it only had 2 seasons but it is very good. Carnivale has many people you may recognize like Adrienne Barbeau and Clancy Brown.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Funny, violent AND philosophical

                              Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
                              I enjoyed Rome immensely! Great story-line and great actors.

                              If you happen to like weird and disturbing, then try Carnivale (2003-05). Just like Rome it only had 2 seasons but it is very good. Carnivale has many people you may recognize like Adrienne Barbeau and Clancy Brown.
                              Carnivale was excellent, but many were disappointed with how it ended. Even I was sort of disappointed that there were so many questions unanswered. Otherwise, it was a great show!!
                              I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X