Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Finale

like Art Spiegelman ("Maus") and other artists, I'm generally not a fan of using the Holocaust as a source for popular entertainment. "Operation Finale" -- telling the story of how Mossad located and kidnapped Adolf Eichmann, one of the last high-level Nazis still at large after escaping Germany to Argentina after WWII -- mostly reminded me why. Playing the operation as a traditional Hollywood spy thriller (ominous music throughout, tropey "team" building sequences, and talky exposition dumps) takes what could have been an affecting look at whether it was ever possible to achieve "justice" for the 6 million victims of Hitler's Final Solution into a weird mash up of "Munich" and "Argo." it doesn't help that the script then also plays up Oscar Isaac and Melanie Laurent's bickering team members with a romantic history for laughs at every opportunity. Ben Kingsley is Ben Kingsley and one does learn at least a version of the historical events but overall felt like a missed chance to be something better.

Re: Operation Finale

A continued thank you, JoeBanks for seeing all these movies that I silently wonder about, and then, subsequently don't have to see, based on your reviews. I actually really do appreciate this. You're like our own Yelp for DDP.

Comment

Re: Operation Finale

Originally posted by figment View Post
      A continued thank you, JoeBanks for seeing all these movies that I silently wonder about, and then, subsequently don't have to see, based on your reviews. I actually really do appreciate this. You're like our own Yelp for DDP.
      You can bank on Joe.

I wonder if he's ever considered doing a movie review blog?
      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
      X