Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Ever Forgive Me?

I loved everything about this movie. McCarthy will be nominated for an Oscar.

Re: Can You Ever Forgive Me?

this was really great all around. not just the story itself, which will likely resonate with writers and the whole idea of impostor syndrome that tends to afflict us no matter how successful. but also Melissa McCarthy's loveably un-loveable portrayal of Lee Israel. although she gains some measure of redemption by the end, i enjoyed watching her resist the universe at every turn and staying pretty much true to the sides of her personality that isolate her from the rest of the world. hope Richard E. Grant gets a best supporting nod for his role as her partner in crime as well. solid!

Comment

This was a well-crafted film, and yes, solid performances from all involved, especially from the two stars, Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant.

One thing that I liked about the execution of the story was that the FBI was virtually left out for as long as possible as a story element except as a spectral antagonist hovering in the ether nearby until the moment of truth came at last and they struck.

It would not be a surprise to me if McCarthy and Grant were both nominated for Oscars.
      "If you're going to have a story, have a big story, or none at all." — Joseph Campbell

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
        One thing that I liked about the execution of the story was that the FBI was virtually left out for as long as possible as a story element except as a spectral antagonist hovering in the ether nearby until the moment of truth came at last and they struck.

It would not be a surprise to me if McCarthy and Grant were both nominated for Oscars.
        on the FBI, in my limited experience doing a couple federal white-collar defense cases, a criminal has to work reasonably hard to get themselves on the radar of the federales. and Lee did!

i think Melissa is probably the frontrunner to win best actress at this point

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
          on the FBI, in my limited experience doing a couple federal white-collar defense cases, a criminal has to work reasonably hard to get themselves on the radar of the federales. and Lee did!

i think Melissa is probably the frontrunner to win best actress at this point
          On both accounts, JB, I agree with you.

Sidebar: As a typewriter aficionado, I wonder whether or not the electric portable Smith-Corona used in the last scenes of the movie was the typewriter that belonged to Lee Israel. There's an often-employed movie-making convention which I like that's used to enhance a film's audience appeal of sometimes including actual possessions of the characters portrayed, or using actual locations where things took place, or even cameo appearances by the actual persons portrayed (as did Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff). And man, oh, man! How it pained me to watch Melissa McCarthy throw away those various now-collectible typewriters as she destroyed the evidence of her crime.

(BTW, here's a great typewriter documentary: California Typewriter. It's also a great place to have one's typewriter serviced or even to buy one.)

Steering this thread back to the movie, Melissa McCarthy is proof-positive — like many a comedic actor or actress before her — that those who've mastered comedic timing and art own an acting range that includes the dramatic and is wide and deep.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 11-14-2018, 04:36 PM.
          "If you're going to have a story, have a big story, or none at all." — Joseph Campbell

Comment

I loved the California Typewriter movie.

Comment

Working...
            X