Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Favourite

the vicious rivalry between two courtiers of England's Queen Anne, as her nation battles against France in the War of Spanish Succession, makes sparks fly for a solid two acts of the film. Rachel Weisz is the queen's closest advisor, pulling her strings behind closed doors. Emma Stone (the english accent isn't spot on, honestly) plays a cousin of Weisz's character who arrives at court on hard times and schemes to supplant Weisz as the queen's favorite for her own benefit.

The Favourite works best when it's Rachel v. Emma with Olivia Colman's pathetic Anne caught in the middle of the fireworks. when one of the women gains the upper hand, however, it felt like the story hit a bit of a wall. the final act is more anticlimactic than climax. but getting to that point is still pretty fun.

Re: The Favourite

The period depicted in The Favourite is one of my favorite (favourite) periods in history and generally I love it when a film takes it on as the background and setting for a screen story. The costumes and sets were grand and seemed to be quite historically accurate; they were a welcome respite from other, less-rich spectacles of cinema sets and costumes of late. As the story unfolded, this film in particular was at first both comic and serious, then seemed to become all seriousness.

Without a practiced ear for the fast-spoken dialogue in English accents, there was some dialogue here and there that was rendered unintelligible (for me) because of the ‘natural sound’ audio occurring simultaneously. When The Favourite gets to cable, I suppose I'll turn on closed-captioning to see what I missed.

While there was never a total lull throughout regarding the film’s pace, the ending was not wholly satisfying, at least for me it wasn’t. For now, my thumbs turn neither up nor down for this film. YMMV.
    Last edited by TigerFang; 12-21-2018, 05:20 AM.
    "Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.- - Ray Bradbury

Comment

Working...
    X