Pet Semetary

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pet Semetary

    So who's gonna go see this one?


    yes I just realized I misspelled sematary. oops
    Last edited by Darthclaw13; 04-05-2019, 08:03 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Pet Semetary

    I'm excited for this one! Was morbidly fascinated by the original as a kid and the book remains one of my favorites. Definitely going to try to see it this weekend.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pet Semetary

      Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
      I'm excited for this one! Was morbidly fascinated by the original as a kid and the book remains one of my favorites. Definitely going to try to see it this weekend.
      Favorite?????

      I read that book as a kid and was so disturbed by it that I NEVER read another Stephen King book until well into adulthood (or even went near his section in the book store). I even refused to set foot in Maine until after college -- yeah, I know.

      I have come to appreciate King's great genius but that book still scares me. I plan to see the film if, for nothing else, to see if I've recovered sufficiently from my childhood literary trauma.

      However, I have a bone to pick with the great master of horror. Why or why use an "a"? I get replacing the C with an S -- that's scary -- but cemetery only favors the vowel e.

      Think I'm nuts? I live on Cemetery Road. Last week the town replaced the old street sign with a new one: Cemetary Road. I told the road works guy it was misspelled. He said nah, it wasn't. And laughed. He pointed out that Stephen King uses an "a". He saw the preview for the movie on television. I said "then why didn't you use an S instead of a C?" And he laughed again, like that was funny before he waved and drove off. Leaving the replacement street sign as it is. Cemetary Road.

      I blame all my sleepless nights and address difficulties on Stephen King.

      End of rant.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pet Semetary

        Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post


        yes I just realized I misspelled sematary. oops

        Oh, no -- not you too!!!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pet Semetary

          Originally posted by Cooper View Post
          Favorite?????

          I read that book as a kid and was so disturbed by it that I NEVER read another Stephen King book until well into adulthood (or even went near his section in the book store). I even refused to set foot in Maine until after college -- yeah, I know.

          I have come to appreciate King's great genius but that book still scares me. I plan to see the film if, for nothing else, to see if I've recovered sufficiently from my childhood literary trauma.

          However, I have a bone to pick with the great master of horror. Why or why use an "a"? I get replacing the C with an S -- that's scary -- but cemetery only favors the vowel e.

          Think I'm nuts? I live on Cemetery Road. Last week the town replaced the old street sign with a new one: Cemetary Road. I told the road works guy it was misspelled. He said nah, it wasn't. And laughed. He pointed out that Stephen King uses an "a". He saw the preview for the movie on television. I said "then why didn't you use an S instead of a C?" And he laughed again, like that was funny before he waved and drove off. Leaving the replacement street sign as it is. Cemetary Road.

          I blame all my sleepless nights and address difficulties on Stephen King.

          End of rant.
          Ha! Chalk it up to vastly different reactions to King as a kid. My first of his was The Shining when I was in fifth grade and over the following, oh, seven or eight years, I pretty much devoured every Stephen King book I could get my hands on.

          When I look back at my life, he is undoubtedly the biggest influence that got me into writing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pet Semetary

            Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
            When I look back at my life, he is undoubtedly the biggest influence that got me into writing.
            All "ranting" aside, I'd say the same (until I read Pet Semetary), along with the profound impact of the short stories Ray Bradbury and the great novels of William Faulkner.

            Inspirational stuff, those pages.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pet Semetary

              I read the book multiple times a year until I had kids. Can't read it anymore. It's my favorite book ever and the only legitimate scary book I've ever read.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pet Semetary

                I saw it last night and unfortunately left disappointed. It works well enough as a horror movie -- and I actually liked the BIG CHANGE in the second half, I thought that made for a more interesting and thought-provoking dynamic.

                But this story deserves to be a great drama first, that also happens to be scary as hell. And on that point I felt this movie failed. The character development was shallow and a lot of what should have been the more dramatic, emotional moments felt rushed over to me. Obviously, I went into this movie with the baggage of loving the book and the original film, but I was hoping to feel gut-punched afterward and that was not the case here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pet Semetary

                  Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
                  I saw it last night and unfortunately left disappointed. It works well enough as a horror movie -- and I actually liked the BIG CHANGE in the second half, I thought that made for a more interesting and thought-provoking dynamic.

                  But this story deserves to be a great drama first, that also happens to be scary as hell. And on that point I felt this movie failed. The character development was shallow and a lot of what should have been the more dramatic, emotional moments felt rushed over to me. Obviously, I went into this movie with the baggage of loving the book and the original film, but I was hoping to feel gut-punched afterward and that was not the case here.
                  Hm. I was afraid this could happen to its remake. As a litmus test, I wonder what would be the reaction of someone who has neither read the book nor seen the original movie? Age groups would need to be similar, for one thing, and that might not be possible, but it would be interesting to have and to hear such a person’s reaction.

                  One thing’s likely: a remake like this one with so many fans already must really drive up the DVD rentals and cable searches for the original film.
                  Last edited by Clint Hill; 04-08-2019, 04:09 AM.
                  “Organizations for writers palliate the writer‘s loneliness, but I doubt if they improve his writing.“ — Ernest Hemingway

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X