The Hunt (Cancelled!)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Hunt (Cancelled!)

    I've been mad about this stuff since 9/11 when they censored the twin towers in Zoolander movies... and now we have come full circle where the president who caused a mass shooting in many ways has now cause a fictional movie to be cancelled because his feelings got hurt.

    So real guns -- no change.

    Movie with guns -- pulled from theaters.

    Don't you feel safer?

  • #2
    Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

    Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I've been mad about this stuff since 9/11 when they censored the twin towers in Zoolander movies... and now we have come full circle where the president who caused a mass shooting in many ways has now cause a fictional movie to be cancelled because his feelings got hurt.

    So real guns -- no change.

    Movie with guns -- pulled from theaters.

    Don't you feel safer?

    Two things...

    1) This is fukking ridiculous!

    2) Trump IS correct that Hollywood is "Racist at the highest level." Yet, he's maybe in a tie with them.

    Well, three things...

    3) No i don't feel safer. Fukk no. I have a target on my forehead.

    Four things...

    4) I agree that idiot Trump caused these shootings. Instigator In Chief.

    Way to get political, bro!
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

      I'm just talking more about censorship and how the only response to tragedy is to edit art which is such bullshit.

      I recall Hamilton performed at the Tonys, but they lost the guns they had in the scene and replaced it with something (E.T. Style) becuase of maybe it was Orlando terrible shooting (too many to remember holy fucck this is horrible) and I'm like so why the hell is that happening?

      It's literally a play about history and what happened. It's insane! How does editing history and a work of art for a second honor the victims? It's just bullshit. It's not sincere or smart -- it's actually hurting in my view.

      I do not agree with your 2 point. I didn't read his quote in full to be honest as I don't want to think about him most of the time. However, racism is all around. It's not here or there -- it's everywhere. I'm dr. seuss.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

        It's ****ing idiotic because the god damn good guys in the movie are the deplorables. That's the whole ****ing hook. Preposterous.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

          the deplorables, lol. That made me laugh. Just ready for this MAGA era to be over.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

            Originally posted by Bono View Post
            It's literally a play about history and what happened. It's insane! How does editing history and a work of art for a second honor the victims? It's just bullshit. It's not sincere or smart -- it's actually hurting in my view.
            It sounds you're confusing two things. I saw the trailer for "The Hunt". It seems like a juvenile, wish-fulfillment fantasy to me.

            I'm not saying you don't have a point, but is "The Hunt" really worth this much consternation?
            "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

              I think the studio was just nervous about the timing. Something similar happened when that movie theater shooting happened. And also, when some of the parents expressed concern about a premiere date happening on the anniversary of Colombine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                You’ll care when the new Star Wars gets pulled for some reason...

                If Universal decided to pull it -- I still have a problem with that. I've felt the same way on every of these decisions to edit, pull TV shows, move film releases... it's NOT THE ANSWER. It doesn't help anyone. It doesn't hurt anyone. Guns and real death hurt. This is just art.

                Even The Interview I understood why the theaters were afraid to show it -- I think that was a literal North Korea said we will kill you if you go see it -- but deep down inside I knew they wouldn't do sh%t -- however they pulled it. A dumb comedy that wasn't half as insulting as South Park movie (which is one of my all time favorites) was pulled. And for that movie it worked as we all rented it on VOD and it made more money I bet.

                The Hunt has been done before. Surviving The Game. Hunger Games (which was on last night). I don't care what the movie is about, I don't want it pulled. The movie is just a dumb movie. Always.

                However in this situation Universal didn't decide to pull the movie -- it was being advertised last week on Democratic debates -- they decided to pull it not because of the shootings (they pulled ads from TV down because of it) but because Fox News told their leader it wasn't a good movie and got the logline wrong, so he tweets about it and now it gets pulled.

                So it's not even the 95% of the other time when it's liberals being afraid to show an episode of TV because of real life events, this time it was censorship at the highest level. And that should scare any artist.

                And more importantly think about what they do get done. They banned plastic bags near me. In every store. And the joke we all make is "Thanks for solving the big problems first." So now you have to pay 10 cents to get a plastic bag to carry your gun out of the store.

                They blame video games. They blame movies. They blame mental illness. They just never blame the guns. Or themselves.

                I can't think of one aspect of life I enjoy that hasn't been ruined or tainted in some way by the world we live in.

                I better go watch the old movies I love before they come for them...
                Last edited by Bono; 08-11-2019, 07:01 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                  I actually read the screenplay last year when it was first circulating. ScriptShadow did a review last March or April, and his review doesn't have spoilers really, and I'm not going to give you spoilers.

                  All I will say is that the script is filled with jabs. It I were head of biz development at Universal, I would probably pull this movie -- for money reasons. First is the backlash of Trump supporters boycotting Universal movies and products. Second because of the chance that the movie would inspire stupid people to do stupid stuff allegedly because they were inspired by the movie, and the risk that my company would be sued.

                  On the flip side, it has a couple of great characters. The women played by Betty Gilpin and Hilary Swank are great. It has a Kill Bill-like vibe between them. I like how they made the women the leads.

                  Very complicated. I wonder if they'll ever release it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                    I don't think it's canceled. It's probably just going to be dumped in the usual dumping grounds like September of January. Studios are skittish to backlash. There's another movie "Ready or Not" that's kind of similar, but did not have the same fate.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                      It is great for everyone to have their opinions and write them into their scripts if they so choose. The buyers of scripts are pretty far left of the country as a whole; those left-leaning Californians make most of the decisions on what material to buy and produce.

                      It is a creative industry, so people can do what they want, write what they want, tweet what they want. Some days that is profitable, some days it is not. (ask Kathy Griffin how things are going). All I ask in this post is that people perhaps just take a tiny moment to consider the other views that are out there. If you view yourself as the protagonist in your own life, there is an antagonist out there. A good antagonist in a script believes he/she is a protagonist.

                      I left California many years ago after graduating from Stanford. Rarely, rarely ever visit California. I now live in fly-over country. Like millions of Americans, I have contributed to the NRA. I met with the head of the NRA many years ago (not writing related). I have MAGA gear. I am typical of nearly half of the US population. Just like everyone else, we like to be entertained. But when the sermon starts, we don't buy as many tickets or downloads.

                      Writers, singers, actors, etc all have their first amendment rights just like the rest of us. Just don't expect everyone between the coasts to buy a ticket when our views are specifically disrespected. The first amendment contains some great things, but there are other items in the Bill of Rights.

                      Perhaps the strongest language our nation's founders put into the Bill of Rights section of the Constitution are the words "shall not be infringed" in the second amendment. Nobody likes random murders. Nobody. Nobody thinks it is a great thing for crazy people to have lots of weapons, but unless the constitution is changed, their rights are not to be infringed upon. My right is not to be infringed upon.

                      It is also your right if you are an American citizen. The purpose of this very strongly-worded right was not to protect you from other citizens--the intent was to protect all the rights of all the people enumerated in the Constitution...from government tyranny. There are some really big themes of philosophy and governance that are no longer taught in our schools and rarely in our universities anymore. If you think the constitution needs to be changed--that is a plot point in your story. What is your theme? Read some de Tocqueville or Rand if you'd truly like to examine some themes that may not be your own.

                      There is a process to change the Constitution. If the restriction of guns is a major goal for you, read about that process and educate yourself on why the second amendment was passed and what it would take to change it. There are senseless tragedies every day, but many of us feel that the second amendment is a key part of keeping the USA in existence. Freedoms have costs. Countries do not last forever.

                      I don't hold any grudges or disrespect to those of you with other viewpoints...it's called tolerance and, after all, every good story needs conflict. I probably won't post in this thread again, but if someone has a serious and thoughtful inquiry about views that may be opposite of their own, I will check my PM mailbox from time to time. So please excuse me while I put on my comfy made-in-America camo gear from Cabelas, stock up on supplies at Walmart and saunter off to my mountain-top bunker where I can listen to Rush on my AM radio.

                      Roger O. Thornhill

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                        The constitution is incredibly hard to change, if not virtually impossible. You can't expect founders from 2 1/2 centuries ago to anticipate the best possible thing for the country on every single issue. At the time, bearing arms was to protect against tyranny. The firepower is much more devastating now. You an mow down dozens of people in seconds. The fact is there will always be crazy people that want to hurt others. The mental illness angle is a deflection by gun lobbyists. If you look at countries like Japan, who have had 6 shots fired total throughout all of Japan in 2015, there's a huge difference between countries which have a gun culture and ones that do not.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                          Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                          It is great for everyone to have their opinions and write them into their scripts if they so choose. The buyers of scripts are pretty far left of the country as a whole; those left-leaning Californians make most of the decisions on what material to buy and produce.

                          It is a creative industry, so people can do what they want, write what they want, tweet what they want. Some days that is profitable, some days it is not. (ask Kathy Griffin how things are going). All I ask in this post is that people perhaps just take a tiny moment to consider the other views that are out there. If you view yourself as the protagonist in your own life, there is an antagonist out there. A good antagonist in a script believes he/she is a protagonist.

                          I left California many years ago after graduating from Stanford. Rarely, rarely ever visit California. I now live in fly-over country. Like millions of Americans, I have contributed to the NRA. I met with the head of the NRA many years ago (not writing related). I have MAGA gear. I am typical of nearly half of the US population. Just like everyone else, we like to be entertained. But when the sermon starts, we don't buy as many tickets or downloads.

                          Writers, singers, actors, etc all have their first amendment rights just like the rest of us. Just don't expect everyone between the coasts to buy a ticket when our views are specifically disrespected. The first amendment contains some great things, but there are other items in the Bill of Rights.

                          Perhaps the strongest language our nation's founders put into the Bill of Rights section of the Constitution are the words "shall not be infringed" in the second amendment. Nobody likes random murders. Nobody. Nobody thinks it is a great thing for crazy people to have lots of weapons, but unless the constitution is changed, their rights are not to be infringed upon. My right is not to be infringed upon.

                          It is also your right if you are an American citizen. The purpose of this very strongly-worded right was not to protect you from other citizens--the intent was to protect all the rights of all the people enumerated in the Constitution...from government tyranny. There are some really big themes of philosophy and governance that are no longer taught in our schools and rarely in our universities anymore. If you think the constitution needs to be changed--that is a plot point in your story. What is your theme? Read some de Tocqueville or Rand if you'd truly like to examine some themes that may not be your own.

                          There is a process to change the Constitution. If the restriction of guns is a major goal for you, read about that process and educate yourself on why the second amendment was passed and what it would take to change it. There are senseless tragedies every day, but many of us feel that the second amendment is a key part of keeping the USA in existence. Freedoms have costs. Countries do not last forever.

                          I don't hold any grudges or disrespect to those of you with other viewpoints...it's called tolerance and, after all, every good story needs conflict. I probably won't post in this thread again, but if someone has a serious and thoughtful inquiry about views that may be opposite of their own, I will check my PM mailbox from time to time. So please excuse me while I put on my comfy made-in-America camo gear from Cabelas, stock up on supplies at Walmart and saunter off to my mountain-top bunker where I can listen to Rush on my AM radio.

                          Roger O. Thornhill
                          Ahhh... so you went FULL political. Got it.

                          Meh... I'm as socially liberal as they come (I'll let a gay dude kiss me on the cheek, whatever, it's friendly, I'm secure in my masculinity etc).

                          But, that's irrelevant, let's get serious.

                          I wrote a political TV show that I believed was the answer for ALL of us, both sides of the isle. A mutually beneficial discussion, that no one is having, put forth in show form. It was about SOLUTIONS, not complaints. It was based on true events. Which true events? Answer: Starting a new country. For real. Man-Made. THE MODERN DAY FOUNDING FATHERS (and first ever Founding Mother).

                          These guys made a memorandum deal with a president of a certain country to do it for real. $66 million dollar pilot project. I held the book rights. I had the pedigree to write it (presidential speech writer in my family, best friend to a president), I had a top 5 producer attached. Fukker didn't sell... damn this town!

                          Politics:

                          I get it man, no one's gonna change your mind, and I don't want to.

                          The solution for us all is so goddamn simple we overlook it: AUTONOMY.

                          We need to come to terms with this ideology so that we can progress as a world. "You do you, I do me. Neither of us gets to do something that infringes on each other's inalienable rights." Stupid simple. Which means you'd get to keep your guns

                          While trying to put this show together (I envisioned it as a round table/think tank/Hive-mind project. HARD! VERY HARD!) that attempted to show what democracy 2.0 could look like in the modern era if we pulled our collective heads out of our asses and LISTENED to one another. If we... gulp... COMPROMISED.

                          "Guns" was the issue I couldn't figure out, and speculated that no one else could either when building a new democracy. There are solutions for nearly everything else. But, guns, I couldn't crack it. Not that I assume to be brilliant. I'm not. I merely wanted to offer ACTUAL brilliant people a chance to consult on a show about designing a mock-up for phase 2 of democracy. The logical next step in humanity, as I see it.... Seeing as fiction can't break anything real, it's make-believe.

                          But, I have a WAAAAAAY bigger concern than guns. What the fukk happens to the world once all international water is claimed by super power nations? We will be LAND LOCKED in shitty governance. No one seems to get this. China is already looking to extend its maritime claim. What this means is that we will be left with 197 (193 depending on who you ask) choices (countries) FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! Until the end of mankind.

                          ...And how many of those nations are a "democracy" you'd want to call home? Maybe 10? 15 max? You have more choices of apps on your iPhone than ways to
                          LIVE. Ponder that. Imagine if the iPhone had two apps you voted on every 4 years: "okay, for the next 4 years we'll use only this app." It's idiocy compounded.

                          Prediction: 20-30 years from now there will be no such thing as international waters.

                          HENCE: We're fukked as a PLANET...
                          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                            Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                            I actually read the screenplay last year when it was first circulating. ScriptShadow did a review last March or April, and his review doesn't have spoilers really, and I'm not going to give you spoilers.

                            All I will say is that the script is filled with jabs. It I were head of biz development at Universal, I would probably pull this movie -- for money reasons. First is the backlash of Trump supporters boycotting Universal movies and products. Second because of the chance that the movie would inspire stupid people to do stupid stuff allegedly because they were inspired by the movie, and the risk that my company would be sued.

                            On the flip side, it has a couple of great characters. The women played by Betty Gilpin and Hilary Swank are great. It has a Kill Bill-like vibe between them. I like how they made the women the leads.

                            Very complicated. I wonder if they'll ever release it?
                            to be honest, when i watched the trailer a few times a couple of days ago, i understood why they pulled it. i'm not for censorship and i haven't read the script, but would love to. it's supposedly a group of elite democrats or progressives? hunting down conservatives-- i don't know, i'm not sure it wasn't a bad idea to pull it.

                            studios pull films because of business reasons. period. it's no different when they didn't release Butterfly Effect until a long time later, when Ashton became "celebrity side-kick" of Demi Moore.

                            they cancelled the marketing and pulled the release date. it doesn't mean it will be forever and i honestly don't think it has anything to do with censorship. it was a business decision and probably the right one. just look at the backlash they're already getting from the media and it hasn't even been release

                            PE: taking into consideration the reaction to signs falling, backfiring motorcycles and morons trying to "test" his rights, i'm not sure the "climate" is right, or that people really want to go watch a film where people are being hunted by other people in a different group, you know?
                            Last edited by finalact4; 08-11-2019, 06:17 PM.
                            "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Hunt (Cancelled!)

                              A week or so screenplay mechanic posted on facebook about looking for a 3.5 million dollar action movie from his reading.
                              Enthused (as this concept could be made for that precise figure) I dusted off my "people hunting a man" screenplay that had creaked to a halt at 65 pages in the vomit draft stage several months earlier and got it up to 78pages.
                              -Have I wasted my time?
                              -is this not what Hollywood is looking for?
                              I heard the starting gun


                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X