X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bono
    replied
    Re: Ad Astra

I haven't seen it in years, but now I have to go watch it again. Just went to Amazon and this is when I need a dedicated website to explain which DVD version I want of a certain movie because sometimes you want the 2000 edition not the 2004 due to special features...

And I guess it's not on bluray and the DVD is priced very high for older editions... so many questions!!!

I also love it's ugly step brother Leviathan https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097737/

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Another big movie I don't want to see. Am I out of touch? I've seen this movie with big A list actors like 5-10 times and it never works for me.

Everyone should watch THE ABYSS instead which is obviously not space, but under water, but still that same type of story about humanity and aliens and exploration. Searching for answers... yada yada... but you know, a great movie!
    omg. i love THE ABYSS, i watched it again about two weeks ago.

"You never gave up on a fight in your life! Now fight, godammit, fiiiiight, fiiiiiiiiiii---ght!"

and what about, "Virgil, you always were a weiner, never could stand up to a fight."

and what was so amazing about that second line, is Virgil promptly tosses his wedding ring, that he still wears even though they're divorced, into the loo. Then immediately retrieving it, which turns out to literally save his ass 10 min later. now that's how you DRAMATICALLY write an effective set up.

yeah, that's some amazing ****.
    FA4

Leave a comment:

• DangoForth
    replied

I think another aspect is that we actually cared about the supporting characters in THE ABYSS and what happened to them.

SPOILER BELOW:

All the supporting characters in Ad Astra weren't around long enough to really connect, especially since by the third act you realized anyone not named McBride was just gonna be cannon fodder.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Everyone should watch THE ABYSS instead which is obviously not space, but under water, but still that same type of story about humanity and aliens and exploration. Searching for answers... yada yada... but you know, a great movie!
    one of the elements that separates The Abyss from Ad Astra is that there are actual aliens behind the mystery, which then generates all the action and conflict when the crew goes underwater.

i was hoping that Brad Pitt would have discovered something similar was behind all the weird goings-on in this movie. but . . . nope! two hours to get all the way out to Neptune just to hear his dumb dad tell him that the last 28 years have been for nothing and there is no actual intelligent life detectable. which as far as we can tell so far is closer to reality. but sure makes for a sucky boring sci-FI movie

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Underrated classic! People forget. Hell I forgot!

Leave a comment:

• DangoForth
    replied

No argument here. My all time favorite James Cameron flick!

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Another big movie I don't want to see. Am I out of touch? I've seen this movie with big A list actors like 5-10 times and it never works for me.

Leave a comment:

• DangoForth
    replied

Beautifully shot and acted. I really was loving about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through it.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS COMING

But eventually the continuous useless body count began to grate and, I think, contributed to the V.O. beginning to grate, as well. Just didn't care how it ended by the time they got to the final piece.

Leave a comment:

• Bairn_Writer
    replied

Agree with Joe here, just nothing to this and I went in with literally no knowledge so didn't expect action and explosions.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

more like Meh Mehstra. at almost no point did i give an emotional f*** about Brad Pitt's character. long way to go for some facile "daddy issues" psychobabble

Leave a comment:

• Friday
    replied

It's a beautiful movie. Wish it had been in 3D. Brad is one heck of an actor.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

So, I'll say, beautiful film. Very quiet. I liked the character's honesty revealed through voice over. Pitt has a great voice for voice over. I did really like it.

It would be as good at home on a big screen. I love Pitt, so I'm always up for the experience. The scene that stops the forward momentum on the way to Mars felt off, kind of disruptive, for me.

As soon as I read DaltWisney say, "Didn't love the ending..." I totally blanked out on the end. I just saw this film a couple days ago and I honestly can't remember how it ended, plot wise, but I did feel a little deflated.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

I have zero desire to see this movie. And I already feel like I've seen this movie at least 5 times and I didn't like those either. I like my space movies to have aliens or captain kirk in them. Or both.

Leave a comment:

• DaltWisney
    replied

Beautiful cinematography. Striking action sequences.

Didn't really love the ending and found the theme a touch hokey.

Still a good movie. Those user scores are puzzling. I guess maybe if you have the attention span of a Candy Crush addict then this movie might be too slow for you. It did feel like a LONG two hours, but overall it was more good than bad.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

I enjoying TWO FERNS THE MOVIE, which also weirdly takes place in space.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X