Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Sleep

A very enjoyable film. A bit schizophrenic as it starts off as a horror and then segues into drama before a somewhat horror (and telegraphed) finale. Rebecca Ferguson was hypnotic as the delectable yet sinister Rose the Hat and the film felt a natural extension of the original film rather than a retread or cynical cash-in. I particularly loved the (now old-school) approach of getting best-as-possible lookalikes rather than de-ageing Nicholson and Duvall.
    M.A.G.A.

Re: Doctor Sleep

Good to hear. The novel is terrific.
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Saw this last night and I enjoyed it. The Rose the Hat character was cool and I agree the actress did a good job. My only complaint was with the ending sequence. It didn't pay off as much as I'd hoped and I think part of the reason is that Rose got whooped like two or three times by the little girl beforehand. Not much tension or scares but still enjoyable overall.

Haven't read the book but I'll read up on how that played out. I'm fairly certain the Overlook isn't involved. Edit- Apparently it is.
      Last edited by DDoc; 02-13-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Okay, I liked this one. Liked it a lot. Not really genre-defined, as someone noted -- a little horror, suspense, drama -- the leads were immensely watchable. Cinematography notably good.

HOWEVER, (spoiler alert)...

What about the dead kid in Iowa?! Okay, they needed to get the baseball mitt in order to track the bad guy, and so they had to unearth the shallow grave, but did they subsequently call the police or notify the boy's parents about where to find his body? Or did they take his body someplace where it would be discovered? Yeah, I know: we should assume they did the right thing... I'm sure that's what a producer, the director, the editor or somebody said, ergo, no scene required. But the kid wasn't just a throwaway -- we witnessed his kidnapping, and his agonizing death, saw his MISSING poster, and therefore we have some skin in that character's game. All I could think about during the digging-up-the-body scene was, hey guys!, you're leaving footprints, tire tracks, and DNA (particularly vomit) -- you're gonna be the prime suspects in his abduction/murder when the CSIs get out there.

Okay, yeah, so both good guys died soon after so it didn't matter that they will be suspects eventually but WHAT ABOUT THE POOR PARENTS OF THE DEAD KID IN IOWA? Did I miss something? Like sirens in the distance? Or them stopping to make an anonymous call to a tip line?

I know this kind of complaint seems seems small, even petty, but loose ends bug me, especially when they are an easy fix.

You know what bugged me about another movie I really liked -- A STAR IS BORN? What happened to the dog? Did she give it to the brother (which she should have)? I dunno. I still worry about that dog. Along with this kid from Iowa.

Kids and dogs -- I always care about what happens to them in movies.

I think this might classify as a peeve Or a rant.

Comment

OT:

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
          You know what bugged me about another movie I really liked -- A STAR IS BORN? What happened to the dog? Did she give it to the brother (which she should have)? I dunno. I still worry about that dog.
          In my mind, the dog ended up with Ally's best friend, Ramon, played by Anthony Ramos. Ally and the brother would both be on tour nonstop (the brother helping some other singer). Ramon seems to be an awesome person, if for nothing else, for the way in which he stood off to the side, wishing Ally well when she was on stage with Cooper that first time.

Who does that in life without being jealous? No one. No one except Ramon. That dog would be in good hands with Ramon.

Comment

OT, cont'd:

Hmmm, you're right about the brother character, Bobby Maine, being on tour non-stop -- I guess I was hoping he'd retire and live on a ranch, with the dog.

I like Ramon, too. If you really think Ramon likes dogs, and has a yard, okay, I'll go with along with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
              If you really think Ramon likes dogs, and has a yard, okay, I'll go with along with that.
              I think for sure he would have a great yard. Fun fact: that dog was/is Cooper's actual dog.

Comment

Working...
              X