The Hunt

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Hunt

    What a good film. Surprised me at every turn. This is how you do 'same but different' and upend audience expectations along the way.
    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 08-15-2020, 03:44 PM.

  • #2
    Re: The Hunt

    I saw this in the theatre before they closed.

    I agree, it is a great film with interesting plots and good actors. I enjoyed it very much.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Hunt

      Well, apparently you're very wrong, you pair of dumb-ass deplorables.

      The Hunt review - gory Trump-baiting satire is more hype than horror
      ★★☆☆☆
      The delayed liberal elites vs rural 'deplorables' thriller isn't quite the political hot potato it's being sold as, offering boilerplate B-movie schlock instead

      https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ng-satire-hype
      That's so sad - I mean, who would stoop so low as "Trump baiting"?
      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Hunt

        The Hunt review – gory Trump-baiting satire is more hype than horror
        ★★☆☆☆
        The delayed liberal elites vs rural ‘deplorables’ thriller isn’t quite the political hot potato it’s being sold as, offering boilerplate B-movie schlock instead

        https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ng-satire-hype

        That Guardian review was interesting. We almost rented it the other night then decided to binge watch John Wick 1 - 3.

        I'm curious as why SundownInRetreat and Darthclaw13 liked it so much.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Hunt

          Before you bow down to The Guardian, check out their past reviews. Always poo-pooing the popular and desperate to show their artsy credentials. The review comments you highlighted just demonstrate that the reviewer saw only what they wanted to as there's nothing boilerplate about it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Hunt

            THE HUNT was one of my favorite movies this year - an unapologetically fun gore-fest that never took itself too seriously!

            The problem was that it was marketed as a political SATIRE. The moment you put "satire" in a campaign, it begs audiences (particularly film reviewers) to think about the work critically, searching for the deeper layers and messages. But THE HUNT doesn't have anything deeper than fun violence.

            One's enjoyment of THE HUNT seems to be largely based on having accurate expectations of what the movie is and isn't.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Hunt

              There's political commentary at play but it's not portentous or lecturing. Plus the critics get it totally wrong, arrogantly assuming the criticism must be for 'the opposite side of the fence' - not themselves - 'cause they're so righteous and just. But that aside, it's a rip-roaring blast that demonstrates originality, unpredictability and strong characterisation.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Hunt

                If it's anything like the script, it'll be a good thriller. Some scripts are good without needing to see the film. Social Network was that way, too.
                "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Hunt

                  Grade: 5.9/10
                  Better than: 80% of Netflix movies.

                  Main pros:

                  Not predictable -- highly interesting shifts of POV till we land on our lead. I quite liked that technique.
                  Awesome, highly creative fight scene between hero and villain.

                  Main cons:

                  Cookie-cutter characters that fit into one mold, no depth at all, the satire was very elementary, atrocious one liners that would make most serious novelists pull their hair out, not even sure if I laughed once during the movie.

                  Conclusion: Would I rewatch it? No.

                  Next.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Hunt

                    Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                    THE HUNT was one of my favorite movies this year - an unapologetically fun gore-fest that never took itself too seriously!

                    The problem was that it was marketed as a political SATIRE. The moment you put "satire" in a campaign, it begs audiences (particularly film reviewers) to think about the work critically, searching for the deeper layers and messages. But THE HUNT doesn't have anything deeper than fun violence.

                    One's enjoyment of THE HUNT seems to be largely based on having accurate expectations of what the movie is and isn't.
                    Therein lies the problem though. It tries to be a satire, but it's a simple-minded movie, which is fine. The writers try to do something that they're not capable of doing at a high level, which is why it's an average movie.

                    Had they focused more on characterization and the fun and games plot of the actual hunt, instead of trying to engage the audience intellectually, which so many movies try to do, because everyone always has to have an opinion on every single little thing that's going on in the world, then I think it would have served them better.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Hunt

                      Originally posted by 977240
                      The writers try to do something that they're not capable of doing at a high level, which is why it's an average movie.
                      Personally, I don't think that's an accurate statement about the abilities of either writer: Nick Cuse (son of Carlton Cuse) and Damon Lindelof. I think they wrote exactly what they wanted.

                      Writers have no control over how a film is marketed.
                      "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Hunt

                        Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        Personally, I don't think that's an accurate statement about the abilities of either writer: Nick Cuse (son of Carlton Cuse) and Damon Lindelof. I think they wrote exactly what they wanted.

                        Writers have no control over how a film is marketed.
                        My opinion is that they didn't do it at a high level. There is no satire without restraint. There is little very restraint in THE HUNT. That's not to say there aren't great parts in the movie, and hence the script. But satire, even for serious novelists, is something incredibly difficult to pull off. Most screenwriters don't hold a candle to those writers. Probably one of the better satires is FIGHT CLUB for a film, and it's no surprise that it's based off a novel.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Hunt

                          Originally posted by Vango View Post
                          My opinion is that they didn't do it at a high level. There is no satire without restraint. There is little very restraint in THE HUNT. That's not to say there aren't great parts in the movie, and hence the script. But satire, even for serious novelists, is something incredibly difficult to pull off. Most screenwriters don't hold a candle to those writers. Probably one of the better satires is FIGHT CLUB for a film, and it's no surprise that it's based off a novel.
                          Vango - Restraint? Does the hugely successful satirical TV show Spitting Image [1982-1996] display the "restraint" that you claim is essential for satire?

                          Before I accuse you of talking absolute twaddle, perhaps you should define what you mean by "restraint". And maybe define what you mean by "satire", as well.
                          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Hunt

                            Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                            Before you bow down to The Guardian, check out their past reviews. Always poo-pooing the popular and desperate to show their artsy credentials. The review comments you highlighted just demonstrate that the reviewer saw only what they wanted to as there's nothing boilerplate about it.

                            Hear, hear!! I concur.

                            I stand by my thoughts on The Hunt. I felt they worked to make something different and not just a cookie cutter re-tooling of other films.

                            I love different.

                            Another one I enjoyed in addition to The Hunt was Knives Out. Just good popcorn fun from both films in my opinion.

                            And guess what....it's still ok to have a difference of opinion.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Hunt

                              "And guess what....it's still ok to have a difference of opinion."

                              guess what

                              NOT ANYMORE IT ISN'T.

                              See you in the re-education camp.
                              Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 08-23-2020, 05:05 AM. Reason: leave blank

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X