No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hunt

Originally posted by Vango View Post
    It tries to be a satire, but it's a simple-minded movie, which is fine. The writers try to do something that they're not capable of doing at a high level, which is why it's an average movie.
    Well, there's the discrepancy. You say that it's not good satire. I say that it isn't satire to begin with.

You think it failed at delivering a deeper message. I think it succeeded at providing violent popcorn entertainment.

So, of course, I enjoyed it while you felt that it fell short. That's kinda my point. The expectations of the audience played directly into their enjoyment of the film. Anyone who went in looking for satire, for some deep political conversation starter or message, came away disappointed. Anyone who went in looking for blood and guts with a wink and a nod, came away with a smile on their face.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
      Well, there's the discrepancy. You say that it's not good satire. I say that it isn't satire to begin with.

You think it failed at delivering a deeper message. I think it succeeded at providing violent popcorn entertainment.

So, of course, I enjoyed it while you felt that it fell short. That's kinda my point. The expectations of the audience played directly into their enjoyment of the film. Anyone who went in looking for satire, for some deep political conversation starter or message, came away disappointed. Anyone who went in looking for blood and guts with a wink and a nod, came away with a smile on their face.
      Great observations, Bunker.

I don't think they were trying to make any point, other than don't think you're in control of everything when you have a bad-ass unpredictable bitch coming for you.

Right from the start they subvert your expectations several times. Who the fuck IS the HERO now? They tell you right from the jump, don't trust what you THINK is going to happen.

It was a lot of fun and a fast read. Can't wait to see it. But honestly I'm happy with the read alone, it was that good.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I don't know. I considered watching it since it's on demand. But after a 17 year old trump supporter who attends his rallies opened fire on BLM protestors, killing two people just days ago, we're moving into truth stranger than fiction territory.

This morning, there's a story that the current administration was considering using a heat ray gun to burn undocumented people crossing the Mexico border.

1984 was satire yet here we are. I don't think I'd find this movie entertaining right now.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
          "And guess what....it's still ok to have a difference of opinion."

guess what

NOT ANYMORE IT ISN'T.

See you in the re-education camp.
          Max - From whom are you saying that it's not okay to have a difference of opinion anymore? The fraudulent POTUS?

(See you at the death camps.)
          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

"Death before re-education..."!

Other results may vary.

Comment

I haven't seen the film, albeit, a fair few people recommended it to me.

As for, The Guardian: can anyone take their leftist reviews seriously? They see racism, sexism, PC and SJW in any and absolutely everything and try to pan it for that very reason!
              For a paper like, The Guardian, to even offer film reviews is completely ludicrous, since they all come with agendas, even if the film was made 100% apolitical, with the sole intention to entertain.

"And guess what....it's still ok to have a difference of opinion."

guess what

NOT ANYMORE IT ISN'T.

See you in the re-education camp.
              And yes, Max is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

But after a 17 year old trump supporter who attends his rallies opened fire on BLM protestors, killing two people just days ago, we're moving into truth stranger than fiction territory.
                I dislike hijacking threads in this forum with political BS, but I can't let that comment stand unaddressed. You framed that in a very specific way- do you truly believe that, in that specific situation, he was more at fault than those who were shot? They were three white antifa felons, by the way- one convicted child molester, one convicted of domestic abuse, and another (not sure why he went to prison) with a Glock, who has also been charged. Have you the seen the videos? Put any effort into actually learning about that story? Rittenhouse will very likely come out of this unscathed. Maybe a misdemeanor charge. Also, I didn't know he attended Trump rallies. Where did you hear that? I know that he did support the blue lives matter/thin blue line thing though.
                Last edited by DDoc; 10-25-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post

I dislike hijacking threads in this forum with political BS, but I can't let that comment stand unaddressed. You framed that in a very specific way- do you truly believe that, in that specific situation, he was more at fault than those who were shot? They were three white antifa felons, by the way- one convicted child molester, one convicted of domestic abuse, and another (not sure why he went to prison) with a Glock, who has also been charged. Have you the seen the videos? Put any effort into actually learning about that story? Rittenhouse will very likely come out of this unscathed. Maybe a misdemeanor charge. Also, I didn't know he attended Trump rallies. Where did you hear that? I know that he did support the blue lives matter/thin blue line thing though.
                  Rittenhouse at trump rally: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ky...e-trump-rally/

As for the rest of your comment, whatever.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Ah, I see. At least you were able to respond to that part with something more than "whatever".

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                      Ah, I see. At least you were able to respond to that part with something more than "whatever".
                      "Whatever" is my way of saying I'm not going down that rabbit hole with you. Even if Will allowed political discussions, I wouldn't engage with you or answer your barrage of questions.

Comment

Whatever...I dislike these arguments as well but, as I said, I couldn't help but call out such a stupidly partisan statement.

Comment

Caught the last two thirds of the movie on an HBO cable freebie weekend -- occasionally they let you watch some of the subscription channels for free, as a way to draw you in. I wasn't drawn in but I thought THE HUNT was entertaining enough, in a comic book kind of way. Whatever was good, movie-wise, about it was due almost entirely to Betty Gilpin. The antags were scattered and unbelievable, but aggravating enough in their PC-self-righteous unlikeability to make their gory demise a rewarding payoff. A bigger investment of/by Hilary Swank might have made this just-passable popcorn movie -- not great, but a lot better.

This movie needed another script to be great.

Comment

It's on HBO? I can't find it.
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It was on one of maybe a half-dozen HBO-related subscription channels we get with Suddenlink. Last weekend.

They also let us have the (Cine?)Max-related channels for free, that weekend. But I'm positive it was on HBO....

Comment

It was on one of maybe a half-dozen HBO-related subscription channels we get with Suddenlink. Last weekend.

They also let us have the (Cine?)Max-related channels for free, that weekend. But I'm positive it was on HBO....
                                I just did a Roku search. It's currently on Cinemax.

Comment

Working...
                                X