No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenet

Anybody seen it yet?

I can't say I hated it, but it bored me a bit and it felt pretty dumb at times
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-06-2020, 04:30 PM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Tenet

Saw it, liked it better the longer I thought about it after it was over.

A few issues:

Mumbles-- most of the dialog was overshadowed by the sound effects and music. Read that many had the same issue with that when watching. I think it can be fixed with some editing like they had to do with Bane in Dark Knight. I read they had to go back in and turn up Bane's dialog so the audience could hear him.

The lead actor-- I was very surprised to find out that the lead actor was Denzel Washington's son. He should have been better than he was in this being he comes from and could learn from his father who I consider a very good actor.

Too laggy-- there were many things in it that could have been tightened up. No point in showing a loooooooong scene that isn't pertinent to the story.

Good things:

Interesting story
    Good music
    Filmed beautifully

Overall I did like it aside from the above issues. It is one of those films that at the time I thought it wasn't very good, but afterward it kept creeping into my thoughts and I realized I liked it more than thought I did.

I love Christopher Nolan films anyway, and this one is somewhere in the middle for me.

I do recommend seeing it on the big screen. I don't think it would be good on a smaller screen.

Comment

I agree with your points. I was also surprised when I learned about the protagonist.

The number 1 issue for me is that they took more than an hour to get to the interesting part, the big concept of the movie. I think that's too long, they try to set up too many things.
      The scenes in India for example looked like filler. That slingshot part was pretty dumb, like from a Batman movie, this was supposed to be more serious (I think)
      He did like in Inception, film all over the world for no story reasons.

Also, the villian was too cartoonish most of the times, and the woman says some pretty corny lines.

I'm from Spain, I saw the movie with subtitles so no problem there for me.

I feel a bit disappointed, probably my expectations were too high for this movie

Comment

I guess if you have to convince yourself you like it, it must not hit you in the gut.

What was the theater experience like? Are people sitting far apart? How do they eat and drink? I know you're supposed to wear a mask, but that would be pretty hard to constantly do that. Plus, the straw and the popcorn would be exposed?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
          What was the theater experience like? Are people sitting far apart? How do they eat and drink? I know you're supposed to wear a mask, but that would be pretty hard to constantly do that. Plus, the straw and the popcorn would be exposed?

I have a friend that manages my local theater which is a moderate sized one.

They (and from what I understand all currently open theaters in the states) do a protocol which is called "CinemaSafe" which includes heavy cleaning in lobby and all auditoriums between films sets, major hand washing and glove wearing and mask wearing for all employees, and staggered seating in all auditoriums plus staggered showtimes so no 2 films let out at the same time so there aren't too many people hanging in the lobby.

Plus they require masks in the lobby/concession wait area/bathrooms but not in the auditoriums. The seating is: every few seats are left open between people (unless you are from the same household then you can sit together) and every other row.

You don't have to wear your mask in the auditorium (for eating/drinking purposes) because when in the auditorium everyone is facing forward, not facing each other, and no one is talking (hence forcing air/particles out of mouth), and each auditorium in all theaters have their own a/c ventilation system.

I have seen the misinformation online (mostly coming out of new york from Cuomo) saying that new york isn't going to open their theaters because all theater buildings have a singular vent system, which isn't true.

I have been promoting folks going back to the movies because I love the big screen experience and I feel that is where films belong. Plus knowing someone who works at one (and getting to see how things work behind the scenes there) I know it is a safe option.

Also, say if someone is single and wanted to go see a film like Mulan that skipped the theater, they probably would rather pay $7-$14 to go see it at the theater instead of paying for disney+ plus an extra $37 to see it online. IMO
          And from what I have read, disney numbers for mulan are low. They shoulda put it in theaters first like they were supposed to. But hollywood thinks that if NY and LA aren't open then who cares what folks in every other state want. They put them online rather than put them in all the other theaters outside of ny and la and they don't get the numbers they were hoping for.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
            I have a friend that manages my local theater which is a moderate sized one.

They (and from what I understand all currently open theaters in the states) do a protocol which is called "CinemaSafe" which includes heavy cleaning in lobby and all auditoriums between films sets, major hand washing and glove wearing and mask wearing for all employees, and staggered seating in all auditoriums plus staggered showtimes so no 2 films let out at the same time so there aren't too many people hanging in the lobby.

Plus they require masks in the lobby/concession wait area/bathrooms but not in the auditoriums. The seating is: every few seats are left open between people (unless you are from the same household then you can sit together) and every other row.

You don't have to wear your mask in the auditorium (for eating/drinking purposes) because when in the auditorium everyone is facing forward, not facing each other, and no one is talking (hence forcing air/particles out of mouth), and each auditorium in all theaters have their own a/c ventilation system.

I have seen the misinformation online (mostly coming out of new york from Cuomo) saying that new york isn't going to open their theaters because all theater buildings have a singular vent system, which isn't true.

I have been promoting folks going back to the movies because I love the big screen experience and I feel that is where films belong. Plus knowing someone who works at one (and getting to see how things work behind the scenes there) I know it is a safe option.

Also, say if someone is single and wanted to go see a film like Mulan that skipped the theater, they probably would rather pay $7-$14 to go see it at the theater instead of paying for disney+ plus an extra $37 to see it online. IMO
            And from what I have read, disney numbers for mulan are low. They shoulda put it in theaters first like they were supposed to. But hollywood thinks that if NY and LA aren't open then who cares what folks in every other state want. They put them online rather than put them in all the other theaters outside of ny and la and they don't get the numbers they were hoping for.

Thanks for the background. I really do hope the theaters hang on...it's still the best experience. That great movie...or even ok movie...enjoyed in a theater. Nothing beats it. I especially love discovering unexpected movies like JoJo Rabbit that far exceeds my expectations. And as a writer, you kind of want to see what people react to. This thing really kills the theaters where it hurts most--the concessions. The 3 that are out right now all happen to be ones I'd have loved to see in a theater. As far as Mulan, I think people would rather see it in a theater. $37 sounds pretty steep. I think people when they see that think that they should just wait and see it later at a cheaper price. But, Mulan was one of those movies I wanted to see in a theater.

Comment

We all love movies. Support movies. I hope movie theaters stay around too. But I also think we have to stay home for now to stay safe and I live in part of the country doing well. If I lived in LA area, I'd wait until March to see how things are going.

There is no "safe" space -- just less dangerous. Facing forward -- no talking movie theater -- um what theater is that? Never been to a movie theater with no talking except Sunshine theater in NYC that had 10 film nerds in there like me.

So maybe it's the Jewish father in me, but stay home. I wouldn't even go to the theater to watch my own movie.

I'll have to see TENET at home.

Comment

I used to see like 20 movies a month, so this pandemic has been hard. I missed the whole experience of sitting in a cool theater to beat the heat, with a nice cool diet coke and snacks. Even the walking around the promenade to the theater, talking and enjoying the atmosphere. I keep hearing mixed messages of when this vaccine is coming.

Maybe these studios will re-release some of these movies once everyone is going in droves back to the theaters.

Comment

I'm working on a prototype for something that could save cinemas from virus closure. It's an airtight astronaut-style helmet that makes popcorn. But you'll need to keep on eating or else the popcorn fills up the helmet.

What we really need is a VACCINEMA.
                  Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                  "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                    I'm working on a prototype for something that could save cinemas from virus closure. It's an airtight astronaut-style helmet that makes popcorn. But you'll need to keep on eating or else the popcorn fills up the helmet.

What we really need is a VACCINEMA.

Kind of like a cute version of Saw. To save your life, you have to consume this amount of before it's too late. Can you make one for diet soda and ice cream?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                      Kind of like a cute version of Saw. To save your life, you have to consume this amount of before it's too late. Can you make one for diet soda and ice cream?
                      There's not enough popping corn in the world to kill some folk.

How much Coke would you drink to stay alive?
                      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I saw this and I was quite disappointed.

I don't want to insult others' work, but I found this to be disjointed and, well, for the most part, pointless.
                        Some critics (both pro's and armchair analysts) have called it a "bad Bond film" and, unfortunately, I can see their point... but the trip to the cinema was nice and we had a couple of drinks afterwards, so a night out when I'd have otherwise stayed at home.

Now who wants cinema to die?

Comment

I finally saw Tenet last night. My immediate response is it's an audacious attempt at something big. I don't know what exactly but it feels like an attempt to understand something about story structure. I do some work in experimental short film. People don't generally realize that true experimental film is an 'experiment' with some facet of cinema, and not necessarily in itself an attempt at art or avant-garde. The various terms are conflated a lot.

it feels very meta-cinematic; a very post-modern affect. The protagonist is known as protagonist. A lot of the early dialogue feels like the characters are talking to the audience more than each other. The protagonist is also the owner or narrator of a story within story. However, I couldn't really make sense of all the inversion details, and some of the action (particularly the final scene) dragged on a bit long for my taste. I'm not even sure I liked it, but I'm glad it was made and a lot of people saw it, if that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                          X