No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sc111
    replied
    It's not limited to Black talent diversity. A film with a Korean lead and cast would meet the requirements:

A1. Lead or significant supporting actors At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.
    • Asian
    • Hispanic/Latinx
    • Black/African American
    • Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native
    • Middle Eastern/North African
    • Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander

Leave a comment:

• DDoc
    replied
    Originally posted by RandomBloke View Post
    It's plain stupidity and I hope the idea gets binned long before it comes into effect.

Whenever I've voiced this elsewhere, people have called me a racist... which must be great for them to have such awesome telepathic powers (even if they give constant false positives)!

Anyway, Parasite was one of the best films of the past decade, but could you imagine if the Koreans had to run around trying to find blacks who could actually act and speak fluent Korean?
    And then they'd have had to have found speaking roles for pan-sexual and trans characters...

At the end of the day, I write film scripts for the same reason I watch films: to be entertained.
    The agenda Hollywood seems to have is driving foreign audiences away by the masses (as well as Americans), so perhaps refocusing on actual decent content would be the better option?
    Agreed. I feel the same but it's beating a dead horse at this point. Also, wolf criers have abused that word so thoroughly that they've robbed it of its power (and in the process hurt actual victims, ironically enough).

I wouldn't mind seeing Hollywood split up to be honest. I get that the industry isn't a monolith as it is but more competition and multiple industry hotbeds would only improve content imo. It seems like we're on that track already.

Leave a comment:

• RandomBloke
    replied
    It's plain stupidity and I hope the idea gets binned long before it comes into effect.

Whenever I've voiced this elsewhere, people have called me a racist... which must be great for them to have such awesome telepathic powers (even if they give constant false positives)!

Anyway, Parasite was one of the best films of the past decade, but could you imagine if the Koreans had to run around trying to find blacks who could actually act and speak fluent Korean?
    And then they'd have had to have found speaking roles for pan-sexual and trans characters...

At the end of the day, I write film scripts for the same reason I watch films: to be entertained.
    The agenda Hollywood seems to have is driving foreign audiences away by the masses (as well as Americans), so perhaps refocusing on actual decent content would be the better option?

Leave a comment:

• figment
    started a topic Inclusion requirements for Oscars

Inclusion requirements for Oscars

Takes effect in 2024.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...effect-in-2024

QUOTE: To encourage equitable representation on and off screen in order to better reflect the diversity of the movie-going audience," films will have to meet minimum requirements pertaining to representation and inclusion to be eligible for the best picture Oscar beginning with the 96th Oscar race (which will recognize achievements from 2024 and be held in 2025), the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Tuesday.

Kyle Buchanan of the NYT in a small thread on Twitter says less may change than you think:

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/sta...93197767651330
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-22-2020, 11:07 AM. Reason: Added tags
Working...
X