Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kicking & Screaming

Canadians in Summer gear look very much like siberian russians. That's a good role for you, Penster.

Kicking and Screaming is no Shaolin Soccer. Let's put it that way.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pencey]Thanks for the inside scoop, Ele.

BTW, what was your opinion of the director personality wise?QUOTE]

The original director was a very nice guy. He's exactly what you'd expect from a first-timer. Hardworking. Eager. Excited. So it was heartbreaking when he got axed. He was much more about making a stand-out film. Not necessarily in opposition to the studio (after all, they knew his plans when they first hired him), but he wanted to make something that would be remembered. He wanted to put something special into it, not just make a vanilla kids' comedy.

The weird thing is that I knew the replacement director (Jesse Dylan) from something previous. Not well, but we had some friendly ties in the past. Again, I say this as a complete nobody, just somebody who sorta knew him. He's a good guy, but quite frankly, I feel like he was basically giving the studio what they wanted. He was a hired gun and never denied it. Which is fine. Filmmaking is a job, too.

Ele...

Comment

[QUOTE=elephant1978]
        Originally posted by Pencey
        Thanks for the inside scoop, Ele.

BTW, what was your opinion of the director personality wise?QUOTE]

The original director was a very nice guy. He's exactly what you'd expect from a first-timer. Hardworking. Eager. Excited. So it was heartbreaking when he got axed. He was much more about making a stand-out film. Not necessarily in opposition to the studio (after all, they knew his plans when they first hired him), but he wanted to make something that would be remembered. He wanted to put something special into it, not just make a vanilla kids' comedy.

The weird thing is that I knew the replacement director (Jesse Dylan) from something previous. Not well, but we had some friendly ties in the past. Again, I say this as a complete nobody, just somebody who sorta knew him. He's a good guy, but quite frankly, I feel like he was basically giving the studio what they wanted. He was a hired gun and never denied it. Which is fine. Filmmaking is a job, too.

Ele...
        Jesse Dylan made How High so that tells you all you need to know right there.

Strange that the studio fired the original director when they knew what they were getting when they hired him...

It's sickening to think what the studios believe constitutes a money-maker. They must have a checklist for what to put in this kind of crap film because it's done well in the past...and stupid Americans keep filing in line like lemmings, unaware of what they are contributing to...or just not caring.

What I don't get is why is it that making a smart, broad comedy for both adults and kids is considered a risk? Isn't that what these animated films do? So why can't you do the same thing with a soccer movie?

Comment

[QUOTE=Pencey]
          Originally posted by elephant1978

Strange that the studio fired the original director when they knew what they were getting when they hired him...
          What they were getting was a man who directed American Wedding and already earned $100 million for the studio. In Universal's eyes, Jesse Dylan was more likely to guarantee a money maker than a first time director. And that's all they were looking for. Guarantees. Very sad.

Ele...

Comment

This is what I hope the remake of the Bad News Bears doesn't turn out like.

And for the record, who was the first director who got axed from K&S?

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

Elephant1978 -

What were the REASONS the original director got fired?

landis

Comment

The original director was Marco Schnabel. He's a really great guy. He has produced/2nd unit directed for Jay Roach on several films. He's also done a lot of writing. K&S would've been his first time in the director's chair.

From what everybody put together, the situation went like this: Universal greenlit K&S when Will Ferrell was just the guy from Old School. The studio figured it would be a decent moneymaker with a small budget...probably earn between $60-80M...the budget was originally $35M. Then Elf came out and made a trillion dollars. Will became the biggest comedy actor in Hollywood over night. It seemed like Universal had a horseshoe up their arse...but they also got nervous and realized they needed to protect their investment. This little movie could now earn $120-150M.

Now, they couldn't just fire the original director (as far as I know, there are contract and guild protections) until they had a reason. So when we started production Universal picked apart everything he shot. They fired him along with the DP and the Executive Producer. Jesse Dylan was then brought on with his own DP Lloyd Ahern. This is the same team that made $100M for Universal with American Wedding. They poured about $10-15M more into the budget and we now have the K&S you see on the screen. This is the supposed "safe" version of the film.

Ele...

Comment

Interesting inside look into the politics of filmmaking, ele. Thanks.
                  Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Sad what happened with this film. It's also sad that I enjoyed it for nothing more than pure thoughtless entertainment. Who says every movie has to be powerful and life-changing? Although, agreeing with a earlier post, definitely not Ferrell's best.
                    Things happen twice. The first is in your mind.

Comment

Dgrunert, I wonder if you saw this film in a theatre packed with soccer parents. Maybe that's why you got the reaction you did.

As a soccer mom myself, I didn't find this movie objectionable in the least. There was a lot I could identify with -- I was the person who got the Brazilian kid on our soccer team -- he wasn't as good as those Italian kids, but better than anyone else on the field -- and I ended up driving this kid hither and yon, helping to teach him English, etc., all so our team would have a chance to win...

... because my son sure wasn't going to make that happen!

The soccer parents are tough. The baseball parents are even worse, probably because soccer is only an hour-long commitment, and baseball is 2-3 hours.

Another thought: The reason why any soccer parent could identify with this film is that we all have asked ourselves, at one time or another, "How did I turn into this crazy person yelling at my child about passing the ball?", just like Will Farrell did.

Would have loved to see the original script, though.

Jami
                      Last edited by Jami; 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM. Reason: add a thought

Comment

Working...
                      X