Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Films where the protagonist wants to commit suicide

I haven't seen this movie yet but the title sounds promising for this thread: Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself.

Comment

Harold and Maude is a great honorable mention, but I'd argue that the kid wants attention more so than to die.

One film that's not obvious in this category is Dragonfly. In the sale draft of the script which I saw, it was pretty clear that the Kevin Costner character was at the end of his rope at the beginning of the film. I think they underplayed it, or maybe rewrote it, but in the script the guy was pretty much ready to drink a fatal cocktail.

Comment

I believe that the premise of Meet John Doe is about a man who plans to commit suicide (or at least he claims he does). I have only seen little bits of the movie though.

Comment

In The Rules of Attraction, there is a character that actually does committ suicide. Naomi Watts thinks about it in 21 Grams and actually pulls it off in We Don't Live Here Anymore. Charlize Theron cuts herself in The Devil's Advocate and ends up in a psych ward. Some less dramatic ones I can think of are Rose in Titanic and Jenny in Forrest Gump. There's also a suicide in House of Sand and Fog.

Comment

Lieutenant Dan also wanted to kill himself in Forrest Gump.

Comment

Gary Cooper in Meet John Doe does not want to kill himself. He agrees to a media stunt for cash, which leads to him planning to carry through the stunt after he realizes he was played for a chump by the powers that be.

Lt. Dan didn't want to kill himself. He wanted to die in battle, which he thought was his natural destiny. Lt. Dan was bitter and angry at God but he didn't want to die.

Maximus in Gladiator. Now that guy wanted to die. Once he took out Commodus

Comment

Demi Moore in St. Elmo's Fire. It was a close one, but Billy Hixx saved the day.
                "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
                Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

inside moves.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

The Onion Field

Comment

Kind of obscure, but the Christian Slater movie, Julian Po, is about a guy who wants to kill himself.

Comment

"Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"

oh wait. it was me that wanted to commit suicide in that movie.

Comment

In Blake Edwards S.O.B. Richard Mulligan is suicidal for a while, then wants to live, but he doesn't.
                          It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

My Sweet Suicide
                            Dream With the Fishes
                            Jump Tomorrow

Comment

The Virgin Suicides?

Comment

oh man. Thanks liver. How could I have drawn a blank for a week on SOB

Comment

Working...
                                X