Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Verdict

Great movie! Newman is fantastic in this film and guess who wrote it? None other than David Mamet. Apparently, Bruce Willis is in this movie also--a non-speaking role in the last courtroom scene.

Re: The Verdict

The script had a couple of weak plot points, but Newman's performance was gold, and the ending with the ringing phone is among the great movie endings of all-time.

Comment

I'm sort of in agreement with you about the plot points but I only found one.

At the end, Kaitlin's testimony is thrown out, which was Newman's only chance at winning the case. And yet, he winds up winning anyways. How? I would argue this as a weak plot point.

What are yours, Pen?

Comment

When Newman decides to take the case after visiting the girl in the hospital. He gets a fire lit under his ass after a couple of minutes looking at her. He might have been moved sure, but the sudden outrage and determination never rang true with me.

Comment

I really love this film. Newman is great.

Comment

Newman has never won an Oscar...

He should have for (The Long Hot Summer, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Hud, Hombre, The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, The Verdict, Color of Money, and more).

Can anyone explain why Newman never won an Oscar up until now...?

Comment

You might wanna doublecheck The Color of Money

Comment

He did win one.

Comment

Good flick.
                  "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

CE said it perfect. It was more out Newman's character changing (integrity) than really winning the case. I've heard people gripe about that scene - seeing the girl in the hospital - and thinking it happened to easy.

The same goes for Schindler's List. People have said Schindler changed to easy, when he saw the little girl in a red dress during the liquidation of the ghetto... It was building up all along, it was all around him. He wasn't paying attention ( alot of people weren't!) The little girl in the red dress crystalized it for him.

Lumet's book tells the story of how he ended up directing the film.

Short version - Mamet was hired to write the script. A Director was attached. He didn't like Mamet's script, so they hired another writer. Then the director dropped out. So the producers attached another director. He didn't like the script the new writer (#2) did, so they hired another one (#3)... This merry-go-round went on for awhile. Three or four directors, five or six different writers and drafts (maybe more). The producer finally got it to Lumet. He read the script from the umpteenth writer, and said he wanted to do it... The only thing was - he wanted to do Mamet's original script. Somehow he got a hold of it. The rest is history. I think Mamet got an Academy Award nom for it.

landis

Comment

Lumet's book is great. Highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                      X