Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amadeus

I wonder how many other 3 hour (or close to 180 mins) length films like this can keep us glued and NOT feel like a chore to watch?

I thought it was great. What's interesting is to see Salieri in his true colors as the furious and mentally retarded old man, and as the younger, jealous man wearing a facade albeit suave personality. Excellent job by F. Murray Abraham.

Did Wolfie really laugh like that?
    Last edited by Erdnase; 05-23-2005, 02:51 AM. Reason: lackluster post

Re: Amadeus

I love this film. Great job to the writer who chose to tell the story from Saleri's POV, colored by his own jealousy.

Comment

I found F. Murray Ebrahim's performance to be astounding. Perhaps the best performance ever. The moments when, as the old man, he'd reflect on the consummate beauty and godliness of Mozart's music, with that interesting admixture of faded bitterness and veritable worship, were profoundly moving. The ability to move others in that way is the very reason I write, and is the very thing I can only hope to achieve one day.
      "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns, and those who dig.
      You dig."

Comment

The only thing I got from this movie was an annoying laugh.

Comment

There's a shocker. (though I agree the laugh was annoying).
          "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns, and those who dig.
          You dig."

Comment

Originally posted by dclary
            The only thing I got from this movie was an annoying laugh.
            Dclary, we already know that if the film doesn't have androids or elves in it, you aren't interested. So why even respond to these threads?

Comment

Someone asked a question. Is not my opinion relevant? Not everyone loved the movie, but do you only listen to the ones who did? As a writer you never want to rely on the yes-men who tell you how wonderful a piece is. You need the naysayers and the critics as well.

I never got into the conceit of telling the story as Scoleri's great nemesis and failure to come out of the shadow that was Mozart. And I didn't find the story as engaging as the premise of this thread assumes. It may not be the majority view, but it is a valid one nonetheless.

Comment

The guy from Bosom Buddies was in this?

Comment

Clary, perhaps your thoughts would have been considered more relevant if you hadn't been "most recent post" on over a dozen threads in this forum in a matter of 10 minutes. Your obvioius post whoring to pass billythrilly and reclaim your title as "DDer with the most skewed sense of self worth" made your opinion appear less genuine.
                  http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

I apologize for the burst, my dear citrine friend. The truth is, I was away from my computer for the weekend, and I simply wanted to catch up on as many topics as I could during my lull of the day I call "work."

As far as the insignifcant one goes? His post count is as irrelevant as mine. In the future, I shall endeavor to be more discerning, and at least more tacturnally poignant in drama-based threads.

Comment

This movie was based on a play, which was in turn based upon a Rimsky Korsakov operetta, "Mozart and Salieri," which in turn was based upon rumor and legend. I don't know how much of it is true, but it was a terrific movie, interesting from so many angles -- the drama of the story, the scenery, the costumes, the portrait of society at the time, and of course, the biggest factor of all, the music. If you like Mozart, you'll like the movie. If you don't . . . well . . . as I gaze upon you with horror and disbelief, I strive to find pity within my soul.

Comment

For the record: mozart is right up there as far as classical music goes. great melodic vision, wonderful harmonies. He was his era's Bono.

Comment

Just as Shakespeare was his era's John Grisham.
                          You dig."

Comment

Rock me Amadeus!

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

'xactly, Bear-a-poo.

Comment

Working...
                              X