Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Batman Begins..... (spoilers)

MacG. When I was a newbie writer out of school, I took a stop watch to movies to see if the structure was on the mark, to see if the inciting incident, the plot points, beats, etc. were all there.

You know what? It ruined the movie for me. No film is perfect. Now I just sit back and enjoy the ride. After all "it's only a f*cking movie."

Go with the flow. Feel the entertainment as it surrounds you...

Batman Begins ROCKS!!

Comment

Yet after that you STILL endorsed Phantom, Autho?

Comment

Originally posted by Authorized
        MacG. When I was a newbie writer out of school, I took a stop watch to movies to see if the structure was on the mark, to see if the inciting incident, the plot points, beats, etc. were all there.

You know what? It ruined the movie for me. No film is perfect. Now I just sit back and enjoy the ride. After all "it's only a f*cking movie."

Go with the flow. Feel the entertainment as it surrounds you...

Batman Begins ROCKS!!
        *sigh*

This is seriously getting to be fvcking nuts....

And for the record, Auth, even though you were kinda-sorta coming to my defense, I have NEVER been that anal...how COULD you enjoy a movie with that type of behavior ruling over you? I don't need to take notes to vividly remember facets that I loved or hated about a flick. If they're that good or that bad, they'll stick with me. That seems to be an outrageous notion to some people who imagined me with my little pad of paper and pen light, marking things down point by point that bugged me. (Jesse, I'm talking to you, homeboy....)

And just in case I've been mincing words, let me state my opinion one last time (at least, like you, I hope it's my last time....):

I-DID-NOT-LIKE-BATMAN-BEGINS-BECAUSE-I-THOUGHT-IT-WAS-A-BAD-MOVIE!

No mysterious external forces at work that detracted from the movie-going experience...no stopwatch in my lap that I looked at come the 30 minute mark, 90 minute mark, 120 minute mark for appropriate act breaks...are we clear?

If I find a movie to be entertaining, I will let the entertainment surround me quite freely, as you suggested I do.

Apparently the "agree-to-disagree" credo doesn't hold much weight around here.

Comment

I like the plants and the payoffs. Nice cohesion.

1. Finders Keepers.

2. Minding your surroundings.

3. The courage to do what is necessary.

4. The bloody push-ups

5. It is what I do that defines me.

6. The weaponized blue flower

7. I don't have to save you.

8. Did you get the memo?
          Last edited by Erdnase; 06-22-2005, 08:27 PM. Reason: edit to add

Comment

I thought it was great. No point in elaborating, it was entertaining and much better than any of the silly Burton/Schumaker films. The League of Shadows make perfect sense. Supervillains who think they're doing the "right" thing are usually the most interesting, anyway.

OH! I do have one plot complaint. Batman takes Katie while she is coming down from a bad trip that nearly fried her brain. The MOMENT she wakes up, he hands her two vials and a bunch of instructions w/o any explaination. Then twenty seconds later, he doses her with more drugs.

THERE IS NO WAY SHE WOULD HAVE REMEMBERED WHAT TO DO WITH THE ANTIDOTE WHEN SHE WOKE UP ! Think about it. He should have pinned a note to her blouse.

Anyway, late to this thread party, but still must ask the original poster: What the hell is Batman TAS?
            It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

"Anyway, late to this thread party, but still must ask the original poster: What the hell is Batman TAS?"

Bad Liver,

I was just about to ask the same question...but then I realized it is Batman: The Animated Series, which is excellent. I love that show. It helped to define the Batman/Bruce Wayne character.

Austen.

Comment

Oh yeah, I've heard good things about that show.
                It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

Not sure if a second viewing would help you MacG, but I just saw the movie a second time, and I liked it even more.

All the problems I had with the film seemed to evaporate, even the action became more clear.

The sequel can't come soon enough.

MW

Comment

I thought the backstory was fantastic as were the motivations of everyone involved. i read once, and i'm not sure if it's gospel or not (as i, unlike many on here, have never attended a seminar or gone to school for screen-writing) that the antagonist and protagonist have the same goal, but chose to reach that goal from completely opposing manners. i can not recall in any film where this is as clear as it is with batman begins. good stuff.

just out of curiosity (honestly no sarcasm or contentious subtext), i am anxious to hear which films mcg does enjoy?
                    People are always writing, but not always thinking.
                    -Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterio Who?
                      Not sure if a second viewing would help you MacG, but I just saw the movie a second time, and I liked it even more.

All the problems I had with the film seemed to evaporate, even the action became more clear.

The sequel can't come soon enough.

MW
                      Maybe on HBO, Mysterio...but only if I'm really bored...and all my other cable channels are out...and there's a member of the League of Shadows standing over me, forcing me to watch it.

Tis true, though: some films click with a second viewing. I'm pretty resolute (read: stubborn) that another round with BATMAN isn't what the doctor ordered.

CE: thanks for the words, amigo. And I AM in some pretty good company with the detractors....

Comment

I thought this was a kick-ass movie. Some of the things I really liked were:

1) Using the bats as "back up." Thought that was really cool.

2) Interactions between Batman and Gordon were perfect. Totally nailed that relationship.

3) Liked the way Gotham was portrayed. Not overly dark like in the Burton films but not ridiculous like the Schulmacher atrocities. A happy medium.

4) The first time Batman fought the generic thugs was great. Only time the jittery fight editing made sense. It showed the thugs' confusion and played on their paranoia.

And now my groan-inducing list of nitpicks:

1) Bruce relied a little too much on Lucious. I thought Bruce Wayne was supposed to have a formidable apptitude for science.

2) Tom Wilkinson bothered me with his bad gangster impression.

3) Thought Scarecrow was a good villain. Didn't like how he was relegated to the role of subordinate (re: Bane in Batman & Robin). I know it was integral to the plot, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

4) A good performance by Bale, but I thought his Batman voice was a tad too raspy. It sounded like Batman had just finished a pack of cigarettes.

Now it's time to see it in IMAX!
                        "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
                        "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Comment

Talk has been that Bale, Caine and Freeman are coming back for the sequel and not Holmes... but has anyone heard anything about whether Gary Oldman is coming back for the sequel?

Given the Joker plotline, it would be wonderful to use the "Killing Joke" plotline about trying to drive Gordon insane, and that would hopefully be appealing to Oldman.

Comment

I loved the relationship with Lucius and Wayne. It was similar, yet very different, to Wayne's relationship with Alfred. And I'd much prefer Wayne relying on Lucius's science than his own. Remember the point of this movie -- Bruce Wayne is just a man. Let's not give him too much to do.

Ele...

Comment

i know movies can be dissected beyond measure, especially with this crowd, but did anyone else find it odd that the microwave emitter was being shipped on some low level freight container overseas when the thing was put out of commission?

just amusing plot point...still one of the most entertaining action flicks since matrix in my opinion.

oh, and by the way, i listened to the interview christopher nolan gave on npr not too long ago, and the action sequences were a conscious decision on his part to be shown in such a fashion - fight scenes, that is. he wanted to make them realistic...which they were i thought. fights are a friggin' hectic mess... but i'm not sure how many writers on here would know that from personal experience...
                              People are always writing, but not always thinking.
                              -Anonymous

Comment

Finally got a chance to see it. Very fond of the opening and the flashbacks. That helped set the tone nicely for all the character interaction that came along later. Also nice to see that the actor under the suit mattered quite a bit this time around.

Good to see Ras get some love. He, the Joker, and Hugo Strange always struck me as Batman's most significant nemeses, albiet in different eras.

Oldman was great as Sgt. Gordon, like he stepped right out of the pages of the Year One comics.

Katie Holmes didn't move me one way or the other, except that when I saw her I couldn't help but think of all her recent publicity -- and that took me out of the film, which isn't a good thing.

The water supply microwaving didn't work for me either. The rest of the film felt darkly serious but that part felt too cartoonish and clashed with the tone established in the beginning.
                                Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Working...
                                X