Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Ten Memorable Movie Quotes

All of above have become popular catch phrases. "Luke, I'm your father" has limited use in day to day conversation.
    Number one, Vader nevery says "Luke, I am your father", he says "No, I am your father". And number two, especially the 7th quote in the afi list has no use in every day conversation.

Comment

Number 55 should be: "We need the eggs."

I mean if you're gonna take a quote from Annie Hall...

Or it could be: "You know nothing of my work. You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you ever got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing.
      It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

#7 and #9 are horrible choices. I would have replaced them with:

"You can't handle the truth"
        and
        "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin' glue"

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

This tells about the jury process:
          http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list

here's a few exerpts:

AFI distributed a ballot with 400 nominated movie quotes to a jury of over 1,500 leaders from the creative community, including film artists (directors, screenwriters, actors, editors, cinematographers), critics and historians.

Jurors were asked to consider the following criteria in making their selections:

MOVIE QUOTE
          A statement, phrase or brief exchange of dialogue spoken in an American film.* (Lyrics from songs are not eligible.)

CULTURAL IMPACT
          Movie Quotes that viewers use in their own lives and situations; circulating through popular culture, they become part of the national lexicon.

LEGACY
          Movie Quotes that viewers use to evoke the memory of a treasured film, thus ensuring and enlivening its historical legacy.

Interesting Facts about the Ballot:

Chronologically, the ballot spans from 1927, with the first full-length sound film, THE JAZZ SINGER: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!" to 2002 and "My precious" from THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS.

CASABLANCA has seven quotes in AFI's ballot, making it the most represented film.

THE WIZARD OF OZ is the second most represented film with six quotes.

Humphrey Bogart has 10 quotes on the ballot, the most represented male actor. Al Pacino and the Marx Brothers follow with six quotes each and Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, James Stewart, Woody Allen and Jack Nicholson are all represented with five quotes each. Funnymen Peter Sellers and Mike Myers each have four quotes represented.

Bette Davis, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland and Vivien Leigh each have four memorable movie quotes on the ballot.

Billy Wilder is the top represented writer with 13 quotes, some co-written with I.A.L. Diamond, Charles Brackett and Raymond Chandler. Frances Ford Coppola has nine quotes represented, with seven coming from THE GODFATHER Trilogy. Mario Puzo, Coppola's collaborator on THE GODFATHER trilogy, has a total of eight quotes. Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch each have seven quotes (all from CASABLANCA), followed by Woody Allen with six and Cameron Crowe, William Goldman and Stanley Kubrick with five quotes each. 1939 is the most represented year with 19 movie quotes. 1942 has 17 quotes and 1980 has 12.

Comment

Quite a hall of fame. No real surprise which movies and which actors get the best quotes. Nicholson said he'd do any movie that has 3 great scenes and no bad ones. Choices are what keeps a star a star and is what gets a movie made. The two are symbiotic. Stars know a good script when they see one.

Oh and IMO the best quote in Godfather never made the cut. '' Women and children can make mistakes. Men cant''

And before I get castigated by the feminist lobby I mean it is the quote which set the macho tone of the film.
            Last edited by English Dave; 06-23-2005, 06:07 AM.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

My top ten:

I'm your huckleberry.
              I have two guns... one for each of ya.
              You're a daisy if you do.
              You tell 'em I'm coming, and hell is coming with me.
              There is a limit to my hypocrisy.
              I'm what you might call the founder of the feast.
              Darlin', it appears we may have to redefine our relationship.
              I'd crawfish and shoot that old devil in the ass.
              Doesn't anyone here play for blood?
              Law don't go around here, Kansas law dog.
              We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

I believe that about Jack Nicholson. I've never seen Five Easy Pieces or Carnal Knowledge, but I've heard the 'chicken salad' and 'you want a job, I'll give you a job' scenes dozens of times. You could probably come up with 100 Nicholson quotes alone (I vote "This town needs an enema" and "A little dab'll do ya" )

Agreed about rosebud, not really a quote.

"I'm walking here." is a reach. Try that one in midtown.

#36 should have gone to Blazing Saddles

Quotes like "Win one for the gipper", "Shaken not stirred", "If you build it, they will come", should have been closer to the top because they are used by people who haven't even seen the films.

Also, I've got to give props to James Cameron. I've never used "I'll be back" or "I'm the king of the world!", but I frequently find myself saying "They mostly come out at night......mostly."
                Last edited by kintnerboy; 06-23-2005, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I smell varmint poontang. And the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think.
                  ENNIS spits in the palm of his hand, puts it on himself.

Comment

Agreed, Bill. A film where almost every line is memorably quotable.

"Hell, I've got lots of friends."

"I don't."

Comment

Working...
                    X