Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March of the Penguins!

It's too bad this movie is going to get crushed against other superhero movies... but I think that the penguins are the bravest.

I'm lining up to see this! Seriously. It looks great.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf...&id=1808627803
    www.one.org

Re: March of the Penguins!

Man, this was so good. How anything can live through what these li'l penguins go through makes no sense. If you like nature documentaries, or if you want a great date movie (seriously), you should see this. Amazing.
    "Witticism"
    -Some Guy

Comment

This is a great documentary. The cinematography is amazing - there are so many "how did they get that shot???" moments. And talk about overcoming obstacles! Man, those penguins are tough.

Plus the penguin babies are so cute.
      You're a mighty master of minutia. Your enemies fear you.

Comment

Did y'all see Winged Migration? If you liked this, you have to see it. It's probably better on a big screen, but I'm sure it's good on DVD too.

Comment

I DID see Winged Migration... THREE TIMES. lol Unfortunately, this Penguin movie is not playing in my area yet. I guess I just have to go to the local zoo at the moment, but I"m really hoping it will come around to my area soon!!
          www.one.org

Comment

My dad is a huge outdoorsman type who once wanted to be a park ranger and can name any bird he sees. He's a walking bird book. I've been trying for ages to get him to rent Winged Migration. If he doesn't do it soon, I'm going to Netflix it and take it with me when I visit.

I can barely tell a bluebird from a bluejay, but I was blown away by Winged Migration. I'll have to watch for March of the Penguins.

Comment

Seeing March of the Penguins today... And I'm not a big documentary fan, so we'll see.
              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks
                Seeing March of the Penguins today... And I'm not a big documentary fan, so we'll see.

I'm waithig for ''Mating call of the Ravens''

And wait.......

And wait.....

http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

LOL!

― Ray Bradbury

Comment

It's because I can't spell, isn't it.....snob!

Comment

Naturally.

― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Okay, who saw the Jonathon Livingstone Seagull Movie? I read the Richard Bach book in my hippie phase and heard Neil Diamond warbling the theme tune on the transistor radio. But did anyone actually see it?

Comment

March of the Penguins is very well done. And since you're following their mating and birthing cycle, there is a storyline (important to me). There are some laugh-out-loud moments as well as moments when harsher realities intrude.

And of course the baby penguins are very cute.

One of the people I saw it with said the French version had actors voicing the penguins (humorously). That would've given it a completely different vibe. But I guess they nixed that for the English-language version. Probably just as well... But it does make me curious.

The shots from filming (shown during the end credits) are mildly amusing and worth sticking around for.

***spoiler***

I can't imagine making the 70-mile trek to and/or from the ocean three times!!!
                          ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

I finally went to see this a couple of nights ago. Although I'm all for documentaries about animals, I was disappointed with this movie. I thought that this would have been better as an hour special on the National Geographic Channel.

Oddly, I think that Winged Migration deserves to be a feature film more so than March of the Penguins. The story in WM is much more loose... we just follow their migration. However, the images keep us intrigued throughout... It's very difficult for you to lift your eyes from the screen.

While MP does have its moments, I think it falls flat in the end. Yes, this movie is called MARCH of the Penguins... but I felt as though I was marching with them, step by step by step. After the first big march where they travel to their mating spots, the movie shows the mother going back to the sea and coming back. Then it's the father's turn. Then they take more turns (I lost counts).

In addition, there are so many snow storms. Yes, it wouldn't be right if the movie doesn't show them. However, the narrative keeps saying, "And here's comes a bigger storm... here's comes the mother of all storms" and leads us to believe that it's the last storm of the season... only to find out that there's another bigger one around the corner.

I wanted to like this movie for so many reasons. In the end, I admire their effort (filmmakers as well as the birds) but I can't say the same for the movie.
                            www.one.org

Comment

Dave, I have seen the JLS movie, have the book, and owned the audiobook for it long before audiobooks even existed (like... 1980???).

In fact, on the old Done Deal, Jonathan Livingston Seaclary would often make an appearance to try and woo Done Dealers from the Great Flock of art-school filmmaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X