Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Performance by an Actress -- Ever

People didn't want or even notice the smart Marilyn. No wonder she died young. Ever see that scene where she rages on in The Misfits? That was real frustration coming out.

Comment

Marilyn Monroe worked with Billy Wilder, Howard Hawks, John Huston, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, and Otto Preminger. Not many actresses have that kind of resume.

Marilyn was a scene stealer in one of the greatest "actress" films of all time. She outshown both Bette Davis and Anne Baxter at the party in All About Eve. If she'd been in the room at the time Bette delivered her "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night!" line early in the party sequence, nobody would have remembered the line.

Marilyn had incredible presence, was type cast as the buxom blonde bimbo, and made a fortune playing the role over and over again. No, she'll never be mistaken for Meryl Streep or Katherine Hepburn, but she was most definitely a wonderful actress and worthy of inclusion in this thread. My favorite Marilyn turn (apart from her stunningly electric bit role in All About Eve) was in The Seven Year Itch. Simply wonderful.
      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Rose
        Maureen O'Hara in all her films
        When she played opposite John Wayne, she was magic. She could play such emotional and tender love scenes or his fiery counterpart. John Wayne loved her because she would "look me in the eye" and her exceptional performances demanded more from him. He liked her for being a real trooper too - the fiesty Irish girl who always held her own.

Comment

Maureen wasn't in the same league as someone like Deborah Kerr as an actress but she turned in some great performances in her career despite being lost in the B swashbuckler/western wilderness for much of it. She was brilliant and gorgeous in The Quiet Man. The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The Parent Trap. The romantic and fiery chemistry between her and the Duke has never been equaled. Maureen is my favorite actress of all time because I wouldn't give 10 cents for a gorgeous woman who couldn't knock me out with a roundhouse.

Comment

Jodie Foster in The Accused
            Cher in Mask

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

I have the "Collectors Special Edition DVD" of RIO GRANDE starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Maureen does a scene-by-scene commentary as one of the special features. She also narrates a separate documentary.
              There are also comments by the wonderful horseman and actor, Ben Johnson, and others.

I highly recommend this DVD. It is a fascinating insight into Maureen's relationship with the Duke. It also reveals director John Ford's style and his quirky but strong relationship with his actors.

Comment

Working...
              X