Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films that don't stand the test of time

I just recently saw "Empire Records" again for the first time in a long time. I remember liking this movie back when it first came out, but this last time I found it difficult to watch.

I still like a few things about it, like the music. Also, Lucas is a fun character. Overall, it's stretched out way too thin: too many characters and subplots to allow any kind of development.

Are there any other movies you can think of that you remember enjoying in the past that no longer hold up?
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
    "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Re: Films that don't stand the test of time

I know that the first time I saw Remains of the Day it made me soooo sad and I loved it. But the second time around it just didn't get me the same way.
    "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
    ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

all Bonds

Comment

I just started watching INDEPENDENCE DAY on DVD...turned it off about 30 minutes in. I'm finding it to be like THE MATRIX in many ways: some cool parts stuffed amongst some really boring crap.

Comment

Those Superman movies are all cringeworthy, I caught 'em on TV recently and embarrassment levels were extremely high. It's not just the thin plots and the silly characters, it's the performances, the delivery.

-Derek
          Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity.

Comment

Empire Records has always sucked. That's why it went straight to video.

This thread should really be about box office winners or critically praised movies in their day which are now dated or don't hold up for whatever reason. There's gonna be too many sucky films named in this thread.

So, to start us off on the right track, I'll name Wall Street as my choice.

Even though Michael Douglas gives a good performance, the film is very dated because of the 80's feel to it: the art scene, the mention of the mini TV, etc.

It's still worth catching on cable but it's not quite the movie that it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey
              Empire Records has always sucked.
              It has its moments here n' there....

Originally posted by Pencey
              That's why it went straight to video.
              Hell, there are far worse offenders that got a chance to tank at the B.O....

Comment

Not DTV

I saw EMPIRE RECORDS in the cinema... and didn't like it. But I wasn't the target audience.

And I can watch the Connery Bonds (especially FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE) again and again... but have trouble with most of the others.

Tuesday I'm buying POINT BLANK, a film I've seen at least once a year in a cinema for the past 30 years (revival houses like New Beverly and the late UC in Berkeley show it).

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Brian Depalma's Dressed To Kill, which was thought as cool and provacative when it came out, is trite, today.

so is his Untouchables.

Comment

Originally posted by Erehwon
                    Brian Depalma's Dressed To Kill, which was thought as cool and provacative when it came out, is trite, today.

so is his Untouchables.
                    So is his EVERYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso
                      Those Superman movies are all cringeworthy, I caught 'em on TV recently and embarrassment levels were extremely high. It's not just the thin plots and the silly characters, it's the performances, the delivery.

-Derek
                      Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity.
                      I completely disagree. Superman and Superman II works for me today, actually, more-so than most modern comic book films.

Comment

NINE TO FIVE. I remember thinking it was so funny, but I caught part of the animated sequence recently and was left totally bored and cold. Also, the issues in it weren't even that cutting edge when the movie came out -- it should have been made in the late 70s. Now it just seems like cliches.

And I realize this one is controversial, but the first time I saw UNFORGIVEN I was mesmerized. The next time, I was bored. It seemed so s-l-o-w. (Haven't seen it in years -- might change my mind again.)
                        my webpage
                        my blog

Comment

What difference does a year make? Nine to five was released in 1980.

Comment

Oh. Well, maybe my timing is off. Anyway, it feels very dated to me.
                            my webpage
                            my blog

Comment

Bill Murray's STRIPES. I thought it was cool when I saw it in the 80s but I had a hard time watching it on dvd recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X