Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not So Good Scenes in your Favorite Movies

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid -- the picture montage didn't work for me.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Not So Good Scenes in your Favorite Movies

Kelly's Heroes - Donald Sutherland's pre-beatnick beatnick jarred.
    http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Butch and Sundance -- Raindrops keep fallin'...

The Searchers -- The wedding brawl between Jeffrey Hunter and Ken Curtis was way overdone comic relief

Singin' in the Rain -- The Broadway Melody sequence is out of place and a total annoying detour from the story

The Bishop's Wife -- the ice skating sequence wasn't convincing. Cary Grant looked shaky on skates

Comment

The last scenes in Rosemary's Baby. What a disappointment after such a brilliant exploration of a woman gone mad.
        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

In FARGO...the scene where whatshisname meets with Margie in the diner and confesses his love for her...I still don't get it.

Comment

There's this one part in The Godfather, where Sonny is beating Carlo. There's a totally blown angle with the camera so you can see that James C's fist is a good 7-8" away from the dude's face, but his head snaps back anyway.

Always cringe at that.

Dark Passage: In the climax, the way the killer is killed is totally lame, as is the following explanaition by Bogie as he's on the phone to Bacall. Really bad writing there.

Comment

Eyes Wide Shut - Nicole Kidman trying to act stoned.

Comment

eyes wide shut - tom cruise trying to act

Comment

Rita Hayworth singing "Put the Blame on Mame" like a million times in Gilda.

Comment

The rape scene (I love you because you raped me) in Hospital.

The bookend scenes in Green Mile.

The drunken fisherman throwing the wife's pot roast in the water at night in Jaws.
                    Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

Well, let's see...Casablanca is perfect in every way, so what else is there....

Batman - When Batman's in the Batplane (Batwing?) and he strafes the Joker -- who's standing perfectly still -- with two machine guns and a pair of air-to-ground guided missiles...and misses. And then the Joker pulls a revolver out of his pocket...and shoots Batman's plane down with one shot.

I cringe at that sequence every time. (And it's followed by the crash sequence, which is one of the phoniest looking miniature shots in modern film history.)

The Two Towers - The dumb stuff with Gimli and Legolas comparing the number of Orcs they've killed; the really, really dumb stuff with Gimli not being able to see over the rampart wall.

Return of the King - In the extended edition, the dumb stuff with Gimli and Legolas comparing the number of Orcs they've killed, and Gimli's completely jarring, anachronistic reference to the Orc's "nervous system."

(Also the dumb dwarf-tossing stuff in the first two movies.)

Return of the Jedi - Pretty much all of the Ewok stuff.

Silence of the Lambs - The big cheat where the FBI is supposed to be bearing down on the killer's house, and then it's revealed it's not the house we thought it was, and this isn't the door we thought it was, etc.

Hm. Interesting that most of my favorite movies that have problems I can think of are genre movies, and the more "serious" movies I love (like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.) don't seem to have such problems.

Comment

Originally posted by refriedwhiskey
                        Return of the King - In the extended edition, the dumb stuff with Gimli and Legolas comparing the number of Orcs they've killed, and Gimli's completely jarring, anachronistic reference to the Orc's "nervous system."
                        i think that's in Two Towers extended. the nervous system bit i mean. and come on gimli's all about the comic relief. the whole gimli/legolas back and forth builds to ROTK when gimli says "i never thought I'd die next to an elf" and legolas says "what about next to a friend"? i'm getting teary just thinking of it.
                        If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Hm, I think you're right about that nervous system bit being in TTT Extended. There is some silly Gimli stuff in ROTK, though, like when Legolas kills the Mumakil and Gimli yells "That still only counts as one!"

I know Gimli's the comic relief, but I disliked the idea of putting most of the comic relief on one character, and I thought most of the comic relief was dumb and unnecessary and also dumb. Comic relief is a very tough trick, and it's very easy to put it in the wrong place or go too broad with it and break the mood.

(I think Jackson and Walsh and Boyens did a fantastic job adapting the novel, but they shouldn't attempt comedy.)

Comment

"Return of the King - In the extended edition, the dumb stuff with Gimli and Legolas comparing the number of Orcs they've killed, and Gimli's completely jarring, anachronistic reference to the Orc's "nervous system."

Oh god, yes! That was so fvckin' bad. It made me cringe, almost as much as Hugo's horrible uttering of "wold" instead of "world" in his big "I'm now the king" speech.

I always, ALWAYS cringe at that scene, and I think that's the one, ONE scene in all of the LOTR movies that I just can't excuse. It's so lame, with his "Wold".

Dude, you've had like 5 different accents through 10+ hours of film, and you flub THAT, AND they let it GO!?!?!?!!

/shudders.

Comment

The bat hallucination scene from Lost Weekend.

Come on. We've all seen bats when we're having the DT's. They look nothing like that.
                              It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

Working...
                              X