Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Million Dollar Baby

Oh, man, I can't believe I waited this long to see this movie. I'm not a big fan of sport movies, so I've been putting this off. Boy oh boy, it blew me away.

Of course, I'm a little sad now, but I'm still glad I saw it.
    www.one.org

Re: Million Dollar Baby

No argument here.
    Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

This was originally intended as a vehicle for Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig.

Comment

Once again, I fail to see the justification for the hype surrounding this movie. It certainly was NOT the best movie of 2004...Hilary Swank certainly did NOT give the best performance of the year.

Pretty standard sport movie-cliche stuff. (Yes, only until the final act. Whoop-dee-doo. Boy, did that really come out of nowhere....)

This was truly just an OK movie. Without the pedigree of Clint, Morgan, and Hilary, it would be right at home as a MOW.

Disappointing.

Comment

I was hooked pretty early on. I think it's the fact that I can sense the character's desperation to get their one "shot" in life that really touched me.

PS The movie's ability to get me to despise the mother in just a few scenes should be applauded. lol
          www.one.org

Comment

Credit editor Joel Cox for the excellent pacing of the 132 minute running time. It did "flow" well, I'll grant you that.

P.S. There's nothing to applaud re: the mother. When a character is written that overtly, the audience has no choice but to immediately react unfavorably. That was as as forced and one-dimensional as White Trash comes on screen....

Comment

I thought it was good...but NOT great.

Comment

Like A Beautiful Mind, this film crosses from compelling drama to overtly emotionally manipulative. And I despised it for it. And I love Clint.
                http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by MacG
                  That was as as forced and one-dimensional as White Trash comes on screen....
                  I like that...belongs in someone's sig line.

True, we have no choice not only to hate the mother but the entire family. So yes, that whole thing felt forced.

I liked the movie but I think what people are in love with was the twist. You take out the twist and all you have is standard fare.

Comment

And the twist is staged in such a cartoonish manner that the film loses all credibility.

Comment

I love that people are finally stepping forward and saying that this movie didn't "grab onto their soul and not let go" as the incessant advertising campaign promised it would. It was a good, solid movie, but over hyped to the point of absurdity.

Besides, who wants something grabbing onto their soul and not letting go. It sounds painful!
                      It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

I agree. Sure, good movie, but not better than dozens of other movies last year. Except that it won Best Picture, there's no more reason to see Million Dollar Baby than there is to see Hotel Rwanda or Kinsey or The Corporation.

Comment

*****SPOILERS*******

I simply could not believe her mother and other relatives would come to L.A. to visit the paralyzed woman but go to Disneyland and "see the other sights" for a few days, FIRST!

The over-all behavior of her relatives was so unnatural as to be unbelievable.
                          Even people on welfare have some feelings for their flesh and blood.

An overrated film.

Comment

Originally posted by greyghost
                            *****SPOILERS*******

I simply could not believe her mother and other relatives would come to L.A. to visit the paralyzed woman but go to Disneyland and "see the other sights" for a few days, FIRST!

The over-all behavior of her relatives was so unnatural as to be unbelievable.
                            Even people on welfare have some feelings for their flesh and blood.

An overrated film.
                            I wish the writer would've given us some backstory on why the mother especially, hated her own daughter. All we know is that she thinks it's a disgrace for her daughter to become a boxer.

So lemme get this straight...this fat, poor white trash is apalled that her daughter isn't a true lady like herself and then ungrateful when her daughter buys her a home so she can move out of her trailer park. Um...yeah.

Comment

i thought it was a terrible movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X