No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chumscrubber

http://www.apple.com/trailers/pictur...mscrubber.html

Ugh...more crap about the seemingly perfect suburbia with the dark, quirky secrets. Another disturbed kid. Another uncaring father. Another girl fascinated by the weirdo. Another movie trying waaaay too hard to be hip and quirky.

This one not only seems to rip off Desperate Housewives, but Tim Burton, Garden State, David O. Russell, American Beauty.

F*ck this crap.

Ele...

Re: The Chumscrubber

agreed. as in life, if you have to try to be cool...it ain't gonna happen, unless you're the fonz.

--edittted for speeling, man...good ting i hve spell checks
    Last edited by mdunn6161; 07-28-2005, 10:07 AM.
    --MIKE

http://www.myspace.com/mmd6161

Comment

The Fonz doesn't have to try. He's the Fonz.

Comment

Come on Ele. This looks better than most of the mind numbing crap that Hollywood secretes into theaters. Sure it looks like a retread of American Beauty, Garden State, etc. but that cast is great

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

I do like my hometown boy Bill Fichtner.

Ele...

Comment

This was a great script, and it should've been a studio film. Instead, it was made independently, for almost nothing, on a very tight schedule. It's a miracle it turned out as well as it did. It's moving, and I urge you to support it by seeing it in a theater, or it may not make it out of the art-houses at all.

This film isn't a remake, sequel, or rip-off. Is it a rip-off to depict suburbia as drug-soaked and surreal? They can't make enough films that depict how drug-addicted and suicidal this country really is. People really need to wake up. Kids are killing themselves.

I was really moved by this script, and I was also moved by this film. It had heart, brains, and balls. While flawed, due to the budget, it still works well.

While I was watching it, I realized that the cynical teens in the row behind me...were crying. When it ended, I heard them say. "I cried." "Me too." "I'm still crying." "That was intense."

No kidding. Best review I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978
              This one not only seems to rip off Desperate Housewives, but Tim Burton, Garden State, David O. Russell, American Beauty.

F*ck this crap.

Ele...
              So how does a script that was written, sold and produced rip off a show that came after all of the above happened? This film was an offical selection to the 2005 Sundance Film Festival which was held January 20 - 30, 2005.

Ele, are you seriously staying that this film rips off a TV show that came after it, or are you posting because you like to hear yourself talk?

Comment

This script landed on my desk in Spring of 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatTire
                  So how does a script that was written, sold and produced rip off a show that came after all of the above happened? This film was an offical selection to the 2005 Sundance Film Festival which was held January 20 - 30, 2005.

Ele, are you seriously staying that this film rips off a TV show that came after it, or are you posting because you like to hear yourself talk?
                  Yeah, I'm saying it ripped it off. I've only seen the trailer and maybe the film isn't completely in the vain of Housewives (since it was created before the show was)...but are you trying to tell me that the distributor didn't want it marketed in a way that would capitalize on the breakout success of Housewives and Garden State? I work in the trailer business. I can tell you it happens more than you know.

Ele...

Comment

And also, the script is one thing, the film is another. A script can be directed to look like other films. One script can be translated to the screen in many different ways. I'm not suggesting the script ripped off those films. I'm suggesting the directing, the editing, the marketing...ripped off those films. I can give them coincidence on the script thing.

Ele...

Comment

Who cares if the film is marketed like the other films? The goal is to get butts in the seats. If the film is close in nature with American Beauty, or Garden State, or Desperate Housewives, then why shouldn't the people behind it get that across to the fans of those films/show? Is this really a bad thing?

The goal of this business, as with any business, is to make money. So if the people behind the film want to capitalize on the success of the genre then I say more power to them.

The distributor doesn't care if you like the way they market a film, they only care about making money on the film.

Comment

They do care if the public likes the way a film is marketed. Because if they don't like the marketing, they have no interest in seeing the film, hence no butts in seats. Box office receipts and marketing are always hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

Ele...

Comment

You should see the movie before you hate it.
                          Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

I said it looks like sh!t. Not that it is sh!t. Do I not deserve the right to do that? Isn't that what trailers are for?

Ele...

Comment

I'm actually getting kinda tired of these kind of movies. Not to say that there aren't elements of truth to them. I grew up in a lily white suburb. I know how horrible that place was. I don't need to go see another movie to remind me of that.

You know what I wanna see? I want to see a movie set in the 'Burbs where they ship an innercity basketball coach in. Have him use his tough, but caring, nature to turn those apathetic, drug-soaked kids around. You know, those kids who are 80% more likely to go to college than to go to jail.

Get Jackson on the line, I gotta pitch for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X