Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Chumscrubber

No Ele, you said that the film rips off Desperate Housewives, American Beauty, David O. Russel, Garden State and Tim Burton. Yet you haven't seen the film, you've only seen the trailer.

Again, why should I care if they make a trailer that rips off any of the above films? I happen to like Desperate Housewives, Tim Burton, Garden State and American Beauty. This film seems to be of the same tone of the films/show mentioned above. So the distributor has done their job in connecting prior films of the genre to their own. They haven't ripped off anything.

Comment

Okay, it "appears" to be a hack job. Just my opinion.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by creativexec
        I would, respectfully, disagree. I neither liked it nor thought it was a studio film.
        Fair enough, on both accounts, and I do respect your opinion, CE.

Someone must've liked that script though, with that talent attached. My point about it being a studio film, is that I think it needed a studio budget to execute properly. The film misfires, but still worked for the audience I saw it with. I've heard yays and nays on the film though, but am surprised by some of the venom leveled at it on the net. I thought that was reserved for event films. This is an indie film that was lucky to get made at all. Maybe it's overpowered by the stars attached. Maybe some people feel it treads too closely to the hallowed ground of some of their favorite films. I don't know. To me, it's part of an emerging sub-genre. Anyway, I enjoyed it and hope it makes it out of art-houses and into mainstream theaters. Is it perfect? No. Did it try to do something good? Yes, I believe it did.

Comment

That all seems pretty reasonable, Nite. But the title alone still warrants this film some ridicule.

Ele...

Comment

Yeah, Chumscrubber sounds like a guy who cleans fishing boats. One criticism I have is that it's even more of an ensemble story than it read. Maybe due to the stars. I also imagined it as more visual, but I guess the limited budget took care of that. The narrative drive could've been clearer, and the tone could've been darker. Still, it worked for me and the audience I saw it with. It's starting to sound like a "love it" or "hate it" film on the net though. Interesting. I'm liking it even more already. The indie film that could. We'll see.
            Last edited by NiteScribe; 07-31-2005, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NiteScribe
              This was a great script, and it should've been a studio film. Instead, it was made independently, for almost nothing, on a very tight schedule. It's a miracle it turned out as well as it did. It's moving, and I urge you to support it by seeing it in a theater, or it may not make it out of the art-houses at all.

This film isn't a remake, sequel, or rip-off. Is it a rip-off to depict suburbia as drug-soaked and surreal? They can't make enough films that depict how drug-addicted and suicidal this country really is. People really need to wake up. Kids are killing themselves.

I was really moved by this script, and I was also moved by this film. It had heart, brains, and balls. While flawed, due to the budget, it still works well.

While I was watching it, I realized that the cynical teens in the row behind me...were crying. When it ended, I heard them say. "I cried." "Me too." "I'm still crying." "That was intense."

No kidding. Best review I've heard.

Just saw this. Wonderfully absurd black comedy. NiteScribe summed it up perfectly.

I have heard it called derivative of American Beauty, Requiem For A Dream and Donnie Darko. I think it's better than all of them.

Very funny. And moving. Odd that such a surrealistic comedy can say more than the 'serious' films that try so earnestly to touch on the same ideas (Imaginary Heros, Safety Of Objects).

The story itself wouldn't hold up under any serious scrutiny, but there is talent to spare on display here.
              Last edited by kintnerboy; 01-12-2006, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978
                http://www.apple.com/trailers/pictur...mscrubber.html

Ugh...more crap about the seemingly perfect suburbia with the dark, quirky secrets. Another disturbed kid. Another uncaring father. Another girl fascinated by the weirdo.

Yes. That's why they call it satire.

Comment

I wanted to see this but it was only out for a week here in LA. I'm telling you, only a week (no more than two).
                  I will definitley rent it. It looks much better than the Thumbsucker.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

Watched it last night.

It was good. Really good.

Recently a good friend of my brother-in-law commited suicide. This movie had a strong impact on us all.

The use of the surreal to bring home the emotion of the real was well pulled off. The end speech about his best friend in the world was touching and well done.

If you haven't rented this movie, do so. It's nothing like Desperate Housewives or any of that crap on television.

Comment

I thought it was good, but didn't have a lasting impression on me. It's forgettable. But I love big ensemble casts.

I didn't buy the kidnapping. The bad kid wasn't believable either. I just had problems with all the eccentric suburban characters.

Comment

I thought the kidnapping was a parody of the Jesse James Hollywood story? If it was, then it's not that far from reality.

The ending of this movie (the kidnapping) scared the hell out of me. I was sure that it was going to end badly and that this weird comedy was going to take a left turn into a dark place. Certainly wasn't predictable.

I grew up in an upper middle class suburban town, and I recognized every single character in this film. Probably played funnier to me.

Comment

I didn't catch the parody.

Comment

Working...
                          X