Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magnificent Ambersons

Caught this Orson Welles masterpiece on Turner Classic Movies the other day, and it cemented my feeling that it is one of the best movies EVER. Aside from the fact that it is a compelling story from start to finish, every frame of the movie is a shadowy piece of art. I know that Welles reportedly hated the way the studio edited the movie, but I can only wonder how much greater it could have been. Unfortunately, no screenwriter today would ever get such a script past the first reader. They'd say the scenes were too long, there wasn't enough action and we don't know enough about every character's motivation. I'd sure love to see them get their comeuppance.
    Chew on that, dawgs.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Re: The Magnificent Ambersons

I love Orson's work. But this film truly put me to sleep. Give me Citizen Kane and The Stranger any day over it

Comment

Even though I am a bigger fan of "Touch of Evil", "Lady from Shanghai" and "The Stranger"...I liked the original Amberson's for what it was...a very good American tragedy.

Comment

If this film didn't have the studio cut and pasted ending, it would be the greatest film ever made.
        Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

no one will ever really know how genius this film was. it's more than just a tacked on ending. they cut a 130 minute movie down to 88. there are multiple reasons for its butchery: hobbled studio chief at RKO unwilling to back welles 100%, welles out of the country, Robert Wise all to eager to make cuts, reliance on preview cards etc etc but above all, welles gave away final cut to get the movie made. sigh.

for welles' fans i heartily recommed "despite the system" by clinton heylin. tremendous.

edited to say: welles didn't give away final cut willy-nilly. he gave it away after being promised the studio had his back 100%.
          If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Originally posted by cluckyburger
            welles didn't give away final cut willy-nilly. he gave it away after being promised the studio had his back 100%.
            Soccer managers over here feel the same way after being given a vote of confidence by the chairman.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't you mean football managers?

Comment

Originally posted by dclary
                Don't you mean football managers?
                I always knew you were a secret anglophile.
                http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X