Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cypher

I bought this yesterday and already I've seen it twice. Really amazing film - just couldn't understand why I hadn't seen it already. It really surprised me with what I was expecting and what I actually got - I was amazed at what it turned out to be - in the best possible way.

Anyone here seen it? If so, what did you think?

On a side note, I also bought Cube, which, despite it's hammy acting was very cool and different.

Re: Cypher

I have not seen Cypher but was about to one day until I turned on the tv and realized that the movie started an hour earlier than I thought it did.

Cube was good despite it's flaws. It's certainly different.

Comment

Never heard of Cypher but the opening moments of Cube were mind-blowing.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
      - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

I URGE you to find Cypher and just buy it. It's astounding. You'll see it and expect something, but you'll get something else entirely. You don't even need to have an inkling of what it's about - just go and buy it now!

Comment

Okay, so based on this thread, I went out and rented Cypher...

Exceptional opening 45-minutes or so. Had me really engrossed and interested in the movie. Good story and pacing so far, with lots of twists.

But then it started to disintegrate. Characters started telling other characters way too much, thus totally ruining the ending, and it all kind melted down over the last half. Most people would figure the ending out anyway, but I didn't like constantly being hit over the head with it.

Overall it was still a good movie, but it is too bad the second half could not match up to the first.

Comment

It's a shame you didn't like the second half, VMF. I know the idea has been used before, but I still loved the movie. The beginning is perfect, not a thing I would change. It's one of those beginnings I just love to watch.

I'm really pleased I went out and bought it, Jeremy Northam is excellent in it, watching him 'develop' Jack Thursby into a real persona is fascinating - since it's something I think most people have fantasized about. I loved it.

Comment

I saw this at Wal Mart today, but I'd never shell out $20 for one movie unless it was some spectacular masterpiece like Casablanca or Citizen Kane. I just raided the $5.50 bin instead. Some good stuff in there if you dig deep enough.

Comment

Saw this last night. I really liked it, although I knew the ending about halfway through because of the way the film was set up.

I thought the cinematography was spectacular, most of all. The whole movie is just beautiful. The lighting, the sets, just everything.

The only downfall for me was the ending. The screenwriter in me took part in figuring it out, I think. I try to block it out when I watch movies, but sometimes it creeps in. I watched The Village and didn't guess the ending, and Cypher's ending is pretty well hidden in contrast.

I'm definitely going to buy it, if for nothing more than its beauty. It's not often you know something is indie but can't tell the difference, especially a sci-fi indie flick.
                My God, it's full of stars!

Comment

Working...
                X